Clone 070

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2broke2ride

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been wondering about these clone 070 saws. I searched but only could find an old thread from 2012.
Wondering if some are better than others? Pre-built or build it yourself? Neotec? Farmertec? Some other brands?
Anyone run any and have any firsthand experience? My interest is purely novelty/hobby related. I was thinking of building one of the farmertec parts kits.
Please spare me the comments about Chinese clone crap, we all know what they are and we all have our opinions.
Thanks guys!

I built one into a 090 clone , had Rattler cut the cylinder for me . I did the port work myself.
It is violent to run! I broke handles and ropes starting it until I switched to a D-handle and 4.5 true blue. @Robin Wood has done some modern stihl versions and knows his stuff.

Ignore the boring tuning part.
Its basically a recreational item though , I helped my neighbor chunk up some huge oak logs with it and after about 3 hrs your kidneys are vibrating and my spine needed realignment. I imagine strapped in a mill it would be a force to reckon with.

I bought the G660 this past spring. The oil pump was weak so I replaced it with an aftermarket high volume version for under $35. Also had the e clip slip off the drive shaft on the first tank of fuel which wrecked the drive bearing and clutch. Replaced both for about $20. The nuts and screws that come with it to hold the spikes on are crap. Replace them with parts from Stihl. They're only $1.50 ea. Also added a hyway dual port muffler cover after 3 tanks of fuel. I have close to 10 gal of fuel through it now, mostly running a 42" bar with full skip chain, and it's running great. For $321 delivered to my door, it has paid for itself. Does what I need it to do, but it is heavy. I'll be repairing my 064 this winter, after which the G660 may be for sale. IMHO their big saws are great for occasional use, and are probably a good option for milling. For a primary felling or bucking saw, I'd go with a (used) pro saw from one of the big 2. The reduced weight is worth the cost.

Back