Close Calls?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big tree down, three big leaders to separate, trunk already separated from stump, I was standing on one horizontal leader about 3' off the ground in order to reach the other...took a bit too much, the one I was cutting went quickly and the butt fell and came towards me, I had to lift one leg for the butt to go under, keep my balance on the other foot so as not to fall off, all while holding a running 361 at full arm stretch.

Avoided everything, but tore biceps tendon in one shoulder and strained the other...
Very nearly wiped my legs out from under me...
Should have taken smaller pieces...dumb, dumb:mad:

Last edited:
Years ago I watched a co-worker fall over 60ft. He had nicked his safety and it started to unravel(he was on gaffs). There was a 1/4" cabal in it but he became unnerved I guess and tried to repel down with a non-locking carabiner. The 1/2 in. 3 strand rope popped out. He held on for a second then started free falling, but still holding onto the rope. He landed on his back with his hands out stretched making a erie moan/scream. I thought he was dust. Several hours later he was back from the hospital. The only damage was terrible rope burns on his hands.(His leather gloves burnt all the way through) He still climbed but was never the same in a tree again

I've had several close shaves and one pretty bad fall that cost me 30% of my left shoulder's function. That was from a power pole so I won't get into that one right now. One incident from my early days comes to mind: We were taking down several large pines in a fairly tight backyard. De-limbed one, cut the top out, and pulled a 17 ft. log out with a rope. At this point we could cut it from the ground so I tied it off with a timber hitch. There was nothing natural to rappell from so I used a technique I had been shown by a more experienced climber (not my regular foreman,he was very safety-minded). Just above a natural swelling on the trunk I cut a diagonal groove angling upward. Maybe 2 inches deep. Placed my rope in it and around the trunk, tied in and started down SLOWLY watching my T.I.P. GM. hollered something at me and I looked down at him. Suddenly I free-fell about 3 ft. and jerked to a halt. My rope had come out of the groove, slid down the trunk, and caught on the throwing knot we left permanently in our pull ropes in those days. A half inch of rope was all that kept me from hitting the ground with a 044 hanging from my side. Belted off and spiked down pretty shook up. The good Lord was watching over me that day. Needless to say I never used that "technique" again.

My close call, I married a girl who was ruthless, Tried to change everything about me, even how I combed my hair. divorced her, married ma babys momma, over 18 years with new wife. THAT WAS A CLOSE CALL:hmm3grin2orange:

Close Call !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My close call, I married a girl who was ruthless, Tried to change everything about me, even how I combed my hair. divorced her, married ma babys momma, over 18 years with new wife. THAT WAS A CLOSE CALL:hmm3grin2orange:

I was once engaged to a girl like your ex....There I was in the tuxedo shop getting fit...getting the inseam measured....then the waist, next the arms... and when it was time to get my neck measurement, I grabbed the cloth tape measure as it was being wrapped around my neck, and said this has gone far enough!!!......:clap: Best decision I made in my life up to that point!!!:cheers:

Last edited:
to jimmychips: glad to hear you're good to go bro. that said. hope you're not too mad if i have some fun when i ask if the backflip was pre planned, and judged by the crew. how'd the scores look? this tree biz aint a perfect science and things go wrong, to some degree no matter how much training, experience and common sense we use. stay aware, be safe, and communicate!

End of november, had a 90 foot willow, far enough from the house and other items that no rope was needed. 60 some odd feet up, after a half hour bomb a thon , went to dice off a lead and paused to look up. Thank god I noticed the cable in that bizzo before I cut her or she woulda gone god knows where but most likely right on top of me , if the cable didnt already cut me in 2. Nobody could see it from the ground. Dang lucky I saw it when I did cuz I already had the saw runnin.

...How do I put this...?

Not a pro, but still with beard and suspenders...

Having worked with various tree crews in Wisconsin (where I learned more than I can remember--current boss will testify), and now in Missouri as crew/grunt...

If something happens enough times, a name is derived of that occurance. I won't go into specifics, and I won't make excuses, but from time to time while...trying to be safe...trying to stay healthy and aware...in the end...

Well, it's all in the name...

...my name is TreeTarget

There was also the time that my rope hand had a snafu with the rope and didn't let a large chunk of spar run that I had tip tied. It was this size and coming right for me:

badtree013.jpg

Had to jump around the back side of the tree and duck. Ever had one of those not so fresh feelings?

Also had another ground guy let about a 600 pound chunk swing back and hit me. No ducking that one!

Wow! that was close.much respect my Brother.Glad you made it unscathed.:clap:

Wow! that was close.much respect my Brother.Glad you made it unscathed.:clap:

Thanks. Glad I could make it.

The snafu that happened on that chunk is another groundie had picked up the tail of the rope unbeknown to me and I guess my rope guy (pictured) didn't notice or didn't say nothing if he did. The inexperienced guy did not know to let the rope run and the chunk swung back into the tree. My biggest pet peeve with ground guys is holding the rope when I don't tell them to. My rule on that is one man on the lowering line. I don't want to have two minds having to make a snap decision on when or how much to let the rope run. I tend to come unglued when I see a groundie standing around holding a line without being told to do so.

Latest posts

Back