Closing a road?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My old boss called me today, wanting a huge silver maple taken out of his front yard, the only thing is half of the tree is hanging out over the road. Does anyone know if I can legally close a road (mostly only 1 lane, and its not a very busy street) by my self to do tree removal, or must I notify the city?

Thanks

I think Massachusetts is unique with it's requirement for a police detail at road closures. Most, perhaps even all other, states allow the company doing to work to handle the road closures.

I know in WI you need signs, flaggers/radio men. If it is a very busy road I would call the local PD just to be safe.

You need a street permit here to shutdown a travel lane. The PD can and will shut you down without one. I pull a permit at least 3-4 times a year.

rmihalek said:
I think Massachusetts is unique with it's requirement for a police detail at road closures. Most, perhaps even all other, states allow the company doing to work to handle the road closures.

Bob is correct. Although there are a few other states that require a Police detail. They are not in the majority. This is how I make my bread and butter.:clap:

UrbanLogger said:
My old boss called me today, wanting a huge silver maple taken out of his front yard, the only thing is half of the tree is hanging out over the road. Does anyone know if I can legally close a road (mostly only 1 lane, and its not a very busy street) by my self to do tree removal, or must I notify the city?

Thanks
you need to find out if the police charge and how much, by me it varies from village to village, one wanted base pay and ot for traffic, one village 5miles up said we could use our own flagman, try making freinds with da police first

Back