clutch removal tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Where can I get a clutch removal wrench for a Makita 520/540? Thanks for your help!

make one in a few minutes with a hacksaw and a file, from an extra socket ...

initially the 520 had a 2-shoe clutch, the 540 a 3-shoe one. I stuff a straight stub of 7/16 rope, with the end rounded off with a hotknife, into the spark plug hole to block the piston.

attachment.php

I sometimes just tap a few times with a iron, and a hammer, if it is really stuck I pull out the tools.
Mostly it takes less force than it will to make more than a scratch in the clutch.

Note:
I do not mean you should pound away like crazy on this, just tap gently a few times on each and it will spin of.

Thanks Guys! Mange, I tried a soft drift and hammer to no avail. Molecule, great idea making one out of a socket. I will try this. Any other great ideas or techniques out there?

Dont use a peice of line for piston stop, you will at one time or another chop some off in a port. Get a threaded piston stop, or rob one from your buddy who has a few Stihl saws around. :blob2:

Back