cny gtg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking for some stuff for the swap meet. I was given a Husky 136 it runs and has a new bar on it. I have some short lenghts of 1/2" Arborplex, great for tying down brush in the back of your truck. A length of 3/4" Arborplex, just the thing for that rope swing in your front yard tree. I'm still digging for other stuff.

Work and family has made it necessary to cut down on the garage time, so the 350 may be a build I save for the weekend. Thinking it might be neat to assemble it with the advice of everyone nearby. Not likely to get it together before then, anyway but...
Rain or not, I plan to try some milling, as I have spent the small amount of home shop time I have had building one. I've been working to have it ready for the GTG, to test, at least.

Looks to be a nice afternoon Sunday...so Saturday for setup will be wet. I'll be here anyway LOTS to do for setup as we have been working on hay, fence, and work this summer. I'd like to put down a few tree's for folks to play with Saturday and setup up a "slab" work table area in the old sugar shack Saturday as well.

Worse come to worse, I can push a bunch of round bales aside and build a work area in the old dairy barn. Setup some lights and a couple of tables....Its not pretty but its mostly dry, has 7.5ft ceiling in the bottom floor, and is 270ft long. Be a great place to have a large swap meet some day when I finish some of ITS structural projects. (NEXT year..after chimny on the house and water improvement projects on the hill!)

SO for sunday, lets start at the sugar shack as a rally point and from there we will go to the places saw projects will be setup..

Starting Saturday morning I will have a bunch of fresh egg's, some onions, peppers, and potatoe's (Both white & red) from the garden for you cooks to turn into food. (Anyone want some roosters to take home..we have two that need a pot to land in)

I an product a grill if needed and other stuff, let me know.

Last edited:
What we starting Weimy? I was planning to be there by 8 but earlier if you want. I'll bring my little charcoal jobby again and I'll bring the sausage for Sat AM meal.
Any one still wanna dirtbike ride- haven't seen any mention lately, I'll bring mine Sun if guys want to but otherwize I'll bring the quad

Off to work...wish I could call in and get stuff ready, but it'll have to wait till tonite

Sooner the better for me. I'll be up and around by 7:00 for certain...

We can pick some onions & peppers out of the garden & get some eggs too.

It's going to be a rainy day saturday but the sunday afternoon weather seems to be shaping up according to the national weather.

I need to setup Saturday reguardless. I will need help moving the equipment..the W4, Massey, and Hoe Up on the hill Saturday. I was thinking by the hedge row where we dropped that Ash last GTG.

I would like to drop three good sized trees on Saturday for folks to cookie & mill sunday. Two ash & a Honey locus. More honey Locus if we become productive & milling. (Backhoe skidding)

Then we need to setup and area for folks to run the saws. We need to cut a few "vee's" in large logs to place wood to be milled. The massey will be available to move milling material around.

I want the split firewood to end up in the west end of the sugar shack..its dry in there as well for firewood to season.

IF there is time & desire, I would like to start cutting the stand of beach (Both first & second woods) & skidding out the firewood.

AND/OR if there is time and desire, I have a large dead Ash in the hedge row above our "middle" field that need to come down and get cleaned up...complications include I will have to drop that section of fence. (Just clips and the wire is left on the ground); cut the tree & clean it up so I can put the fence back up. A project to be sure I have to deal with this fall.

SO we need project managers and time! Lots to do!

My concerns are around the best way to provide space for swap fodder & working projects.

Couple of thoughts for you to consider:

1) Should we setup some tables in the big old barn for folks to spread out swap meet type stuff & then work on the hill?

2) I can bring a table into the sugar shack..even though its small, its dry.

3) I plan to mow a section in that "first" field for parking should the weather cooperate, I and moving horses to the second later today.

I will have the VOR & KTM around for a trail ride should anyone bite. I think the Quad (w/ trailer) will be used to transport materials.

Last edited:
Chili is on the stove, and it's gonna simmer there until tomorrow morning. Then I'll stick it in the fridge til I leave on Sunday. I know a few guys are on the brunch crew; who else is doing something for meal #2, and when do we think we ought to do it. 3 or 4? I figure not too late, since some of us have a bit of a drive.

Weather forecasts show the chance of precip has dropped to 20%-30%, so it looks like we will be in good shape.

Tomorrow Afternoon, after I leave the store I just need to mix up a fresh batch of fuel and fire up the saws I'm going to bring. Touch up the chains, load everything up and that should about do it. Then look around and see what I forgot.

How are you guys coming along?

Gettin there...

If I didn't have to go to work I'd be in good shape! This late night last minute stuff has to go!!
My weather report's not seeming that bad?? The camping is not totally out for us, unless the rain is steady and evil. Easy for me to say as the house is a short drive for me.
Walt, I'll be as early as I can, gotta meet someone early to pick up what I think may be a rather heavy yeller saw, and then get loaded with what I need and then we'll get to work. I'll be near my phone if ya need me for any reason. I'll try to touch base with you before you get out of the house in the AM.

Looks like Chainsawwhisperer, motomedic & myself will be up on the hill past the sugar shack this afternoon...anyone else just listen for the saws to find us.

Also those who weren't here before and need directions, PM me. I will respond around noon and this evening to PM's.

Well I just got the word that I can have tomorrow off. Since it's so last minute I won't have time to make any food to contribute. I'll be bringing my ported 3120 and my stock 395xp, should be fun fitting them in the extended cab of my Sonoma.
Anyone need any oil, chains, files, screnches, beer, charcoal, cooking untensils, drinks or other provisions?

Walt if you could PM w/ your address and directions I'd really appreaciate it.

We are setting up at the top of the hill instead of the sugar shack, the weather seems to be moving in the right direction...

SO when you get to the farm road, go down into the valley past the beaver pond and the sugar shack..up the hill to a "Y".

MAKE the left...do not go straight up that steep rocky hill.

You will go diagonally up the field with a fence on your right..to the top, through a hedge row, look right and you will see the hay wagons, trucks & stuff.

Well, the Jeep is Jammed. The extra stuff for the swap meet, especially that 750 Homelite, knocked a few saws off of my list, but this is what I'm bringing for runners:
576AT
350/46
920Super
285CD
272XP
Solo 603
ProMac 850

Food: Pan of chili, and some pretzels. (forgot the crackers) I also have some good Canadian bacon for the brunch. Cooler with some sodas, waters, and beers.

Alarm is set for 4:00, (and the backup alarm is set for 4:15.):dizzy:

Myself Chainsawwhisperer & motomedic harvested some ash & maple to hack up at the camp site...

It POURED this afternoon and once this evening, Chainsaw built an awesome fire and hot food & fire fixed soaked chainsaw enthusuasts...

Tomorrow looks good, the sky is clear now and the hill drys fast.

I have a pair of hay wagons up there to put stuff on if needed, and I will drag up some homie stuff tomorrow.

I have the old W-4 and thge compact 4x4 tractor to drag and lift with. In addition to the wood at the camp to process, I do have a large "ash" tree project should there be interest and time. We skidded two maples, and two ash trees to the camp area so far.

I have peppers & onions up there and hot dogs & rolls. 12 pack of Beer, a 12pack of green tea, water, toilet paper, english muffins, butter, and eggs. Oh yea potatoes from the garden as well. Looks like chainsaw brought stuff as well.

both chainsaw & moto are camping out over nite...I'm staying dry. I got soaked today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back