cny gtg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as a swap meet side show, I think thats a nice idea as long as expectations aren't to radical...my bet is our head count will be a little more than last time. I'll thow some stuff into the mix but I would like to have folks define what would be interesting.

The reason is I wouldn't want someone to drive all the way from say..Western PA to find there isn't any interest in the pile of stuff he was expecting to trade or even sell. What would be more interesting to me and more realistic is have folks discuss what type of things are truely of interest and along with the hobby saws that are brought to be run at this GTG, thow in a few goodies to make this a more interesting GTG with some targeted swap stuff.

Me? BIG Homie's & now Huskie's. I have a couple of Mac's & a Merc Disston project that are low priority..maybe trade fodder for Husky/Homie stuff. I also have a PILE of Homie gear drive stuff & New Old Stock Homie stuff to mix and match with other Homie fans maybe to finish a project here at the GTG. Would like to complete one of my 770's or similar saw. I need 1/2 chain or a 404 sprocket for those gear drives. I would also LIKE to try earlier Husky's like a Model 61 or a Jonsered 70E or something of that size & vintage. But that is also a low priority desire.

I would really like to have a couple of mechanical projects on a table at this GTG where we can stick something together and have some intant gratification testing it in the real wood....

AND I think for a side show I may introduce the Back Hoe method of hedge row logging...certainly would find a place in the twisted video place on You Tube.

AND do not forget your bug spray! I found those military surplus bug nets that go over your hats to work really well. And I haven't tried to order a "porta-potty" yet. Please be prepared to rough it. I am comptemplating getting a big tent with bug mesh to have a place to put a working table...believe it or not, the room in the sugar shack we used last time is both dry and bug free....maybe we can use it again for something. I also bought one of those little deal where to effectively attach your saw to a simplistic hinge with a guide plate design to slide down a 2 x 4...simplistic milling. I would LIKE to have us mill some planks to build some saw horse/ tables saturday. You think you have Horse Power? Do you? that will put it to the test for certain!

Anyone willing to step up and manage that? If I point to the tree....drop it, top it, clean up the mess and take the trunk to mill planks?

Last edited:
We're gonna have a good crew it sounds like, so I think we can get some things done. We'll see what time guys arrive on Sat morning and then break off into teams. Maybe one team can get things arranged and staged (drop and drag trees to set up the milling area) Another team might set up the area for us to relax, eat, swap, fix etc. What cha all think??

Weime,
As far as trading goes, I Like anything odd-ball and obscure, but lately I have had a hankering for 028s, Poulan 3xxx series saws, McCulloch Titan series saws, and Homelite XL9xx series saws.
What I have for trade fodder:
Mac Timberbear power head (610) VGC
Homelite 330 - New boot, new oil diaphragm
Partner F55 power head, runs good, ass.w/no base gasket
Stihl MS170 - needs seals, looks like new
Stihl MS170 - engine, dissembled
Homelite XL12 runs, good condition
Homelite Timberbear 20" runs good
Homelite Timberbear 20" runs - has issues
Stihl 020 rear handle power head - not running
There might be others as well, and some of the above might not make the trip.
I just got a Remington 754 that I'm going to run on Sun.
plus, I'm bringing my D/B gear drive, mild hot rod 028, poulan 3000,
and who knows what else.
CSW

Moto,
Was there talk about cleaning out the other 1/2 of the sugar shack to use at some point?
If we fixed the roof, it would be great for a winter GTG!!! Get that big wood burner fired up, it would be 100 degrees in there in no time!

Where are we all going to camp? Up on the top of the hill.
I won't get there until about 1-2 pm, but I'll be ready to kick a$$ and take names.LOL
CSW

There sure is going to be a lot going on here. I could put a lot of stuff on the swap table, as I need to thin things out here. I have some Stihl stuff to get rid of. Not a knock on Stihl of course, but I mostly want to stick with my Huskys and Jonnys. I'm also interested in some more Homelite and Mac stuff.

So:
031- needs impulse line.
032- coil or points erratic, otherwise in nice shape.
041- Piston and cylinder
041FB- Bad carb or possible air leak.
045AV- Is on my list of runners to bring up, but I might part with it.
Very strange looking Mac 33B from 1956. Complete but haven't messd with it.
Homelite 750, (not a misprint), P&C wiped, I have it partially apart and I'm getting tired of looking at it. Good shape and has a good 32" bar and chain.

Now, looking at that list, there is no way that I can get all of that junk in the back of the Jeep along with the 10 saws I'm bringing to play with LOL, so no promises on what makes the trip. But if there's something there that you want, say "Hey bring that thing!" I just hope I don't come home with more saws than I left with.

Weimey, I'll probably have a 272XP or Jonsered 630 so you'll get to try a saw from that family. The 630 will be good to compare with any MS361's that might be there. I'll also have a 621, a 920, and maybe a real nice 90. On the new side, I'll have the 576AT and a 350/46NE conversion. And the ProMac 850 wants to meet your Homelite 900's.

For a bench project, I'll see if I have enough miscellaneous parts so we can "create" some kind of ugly 372/2171 halfbreed.

I can bring my alaskan small log mill. I can mill up to 20" diameter logs with it. Unfortunately, I will not be there untill Sunday morning. As far as wood for saw horses, if we have any softwood, the 441 and small log mill will make short work of it. If there is only hardwood, the 441 and small log mill will still do it, but it will take a lot longer:)

As far as swap stuff, I have:

Homelite Super 2 tophandle - muffler modded, runs great, needs plastic oil tank.

Brand new loop of 58 drive link, 3/8" Oregon Square ground chain.

Last edited:
CSW-Yeah the plan is to make some progress on the Sugar Shack cleanup. Walt has the 'hoe and the lil Massey with the loader, so I think we can make pretty quick work of the job. There is a roof that is pretty much intact nearby that we can eventually erect for the pavilion. Maybe we can mill some posts for the roof to sit on. As far as camping goes, wherever we want, But the top of the hill's probably best

Spike-I've got one of those cylinders almost ready to go onto the 350. I look forward to checking out your 350/346. Gotta get the wife to time me with the 350 before I swap the cylinders. Mines the later version with the primer but no cat (no green caps). Ran it with one that is older w/o the primer and mine seems as if its got lower rev limit, is that something they changed or just me? I'm gonna tach 'em when I do the time runs (Didn't have time the other morning cause I had to get the cutting done)

Will saw-Did you score that Stihl from CL or what? You never miss the CL saws,do ya? I don't ever seem to find anything listed there but Wild Things and plastic Homies

If it's on, I'm still in.

But.......Take a look at tropical storm Danny on the NWS site. Could be a bit more than a few showers.

I'll be up on the hill reguardless....I have a "free" weekend as the wife will be working & we finished this round of hay and fencing projects. SO. I'll put down some firewood material for certain. A couple of large ASH tree's along the hedge row. I may not be as ambitious about cleaning the other half of our sugar shack as working in muck with a backhoe...on a slope isn't fun. But we still have other stuff to do. I still want to slab some Honey Locust and maybe some Red Pine. I have some maple that I put down last spring that needs to be blocked and hauled. I also have a stand of beech w/ blight I want to turn to firewood..a few acres worth.

Just remember...no "porta poty" so come prepared to rough it if you camping. I can provide eggs (from our chickens) and onions & peppers from our garden.

Also I opened a couple more miles of quad trails should someone have one of those.

I also want to setup a working table in either the old sugar shack or in a tent to do some projects while folks are here...plenty to do. Reguardless of weather.

Stuff I will have on that side of the valley:

Antique Farmall W-4 to pull with.
Massey 1433 4x4 compact tractor to bail us out.
Back Hoe to yank some Honey Locus out of the Hedge row.
Two types of chainsaw mill's, an alaskan mill and one of those clamp on the bar deals.
A couple of projects..thinking maybe sorting out an old Mac 660 (If I can find a carb diaphram kit!) or maybe putting a bar oil pump in a Homie 800.

I'll also bring a few boxes of parts & stuff up for trade fodder...Mostly Homelite stuff as thats what I typically collect. Maybe a Mac or Disston I'll figure it out as we go along.

Last edited:
Well, there's no point and staying home and watching the rain, so I'm coming up. The only thing that would change that is if Danny veers west and it's a major hit like Floyd was 10 years ago. In that case I would have to open the store. Sounds kind of corny, but in a situation like that it's a kind of civic duty thing and we'd have to be there for folks. Homeowners, tree guys, landscapers, local town crews and such.

But by Sunday morning, we'll be on the back side of whatever we get. I'll just bring some dry clothes and not worry about getting wet. I'm going to bag the camping deal though. I will need saturday afternoon to get things ready and packed. I figure on leaving at around 5:00 Sunday morning, which should put me there between 8:00 and 8:30, allowing for a coffee stop somewhere.

Since we may be spending some time in that sugar shack, I'll make sure I bring a couple of bench projects that we can mess around with. We'll "create" something. LOL I'll see if I can find another carcass or two that we can bring back to life. I'll bring more than just the basic tools if we want to play.

I may cut down on how many saws I bring, but if things are wet, are we going to be inclined to play with them or work with them? Either way is cool for me, but some of the saws that will be fun to play with aren't exactly the same saws that we will want to be working with. I'm not going to want to run a full tank through that heavy 603 Solo, that's for sure. :chainsaw:

MOTO, I might have another bottom end for those 350 experiments you are doing. It's probably been stripped pretty good though.

WEIM, I'm going to need directions, so please PM me with the details. Back in the spring, I was supposed to bring you a couple of bars or something; let me know if you need anything.

CSW, If I cut down on the saws, I'll have room for that 750 for you.

Jack, Your 2171 and the 75cc P&C are all set. Do you need a cylinder gasket to go with it?

Food: are we still planning on a brunch, and then another meal later in the afternoon? My chili isn't likely to go over well as a breakfast item. :cheers:

Back