cny gtg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine's less than stock if anything. I bought it for cheap with a melted ring, cleaned up the cyl and put an 029 ring in it. It runs good enough for a cheap redneck rebuild and a scored piston. One of these days I'll hack the baffle out of the muffler.

Hack that baffle! love the stihl ring to make it go. Did you pull out the base gasket? What b&c. Mines got the stocker from the 350 (325, 16")

Will Saw, What what does your fearful lineup consist of? Mine has an old gear drive Homie with a piston so stuck dynamite wouldn"t unstick it, 2 Homie top handles, a Pull-on-in-a-box, Remington 46cc with a spun flywheel......

Will Saw, What what does your fearful lineup consist of? Mine has an old gear drive Homie with a piston so stuck dynamite wouldn"t unstick it, 2 Homie top handles, a Pull-on-in-a-box, Remington 46cc with a spun flywheel......

I have an old 034, 55, a torn down 268, old not running 240 s, JRed 630, and 2095. They're all pretty well worn, most of em could probably use clutch springs, tank vents, etc.

It looks to be some 260 miles away.
I'll know for sure when the date gets closer if I can make it.
Was there a post describing the location?
Some of the locations discussed looked to be a ways off road.
I have a 4wd Suburban, so I'm not too concerned. But I was thinking of towing my motorcycle up too, take a few days off work, do some cruising while I'm up there. I'm wondering if I will be able to tow the bike and trailer into the site?

At least your list of "junk" has good potential. Most if not all of those are well respected units. There was a NOS cyl on fleabay for your 268. 4days, 1 bid, $1. Did you score the homie from craigs list (920?) you mentioned a while back?

:censored: yeah, sounds good to me.

So you're in Ithaca? I used to work at Emerson Transmission and before that Therm, maybe you've heard of them?

Several friends have worked at both places over the years. Machine shops for the most part are staying busy around here, other than BW laying off.
Where are you?

At least your list of "junk" has good potential. Most if not all of those are well respected units. There was a NOS cyl on fleabay for your 268. 4days, 1 bid, $1. Did you score the homie from craigs list (920?) you mentioned a while back?

All my saws I bought on CL around here. You mean the 2095 JRed?

My saws are junk out of being old and needing repair, and I've been out of work for longer than I'd like so I haven't been able to afford parts for em.

Several friends have worked at both places over the years. Machine shops for the most part are staying busy around here, other than BW laying off.
Where are you?

I live in Alpine, about 1/2 way between Ithaca and Elmira. Maybe you know where the junction is, I live a few miles into the hills from there.

I wouldn't mind getting hired back at Emerson, with the economy the way it is you gotta take what you can get around here.

The more the merrier, and all are welcome! Maybe we should get a list of saws going that will be there. I have a few that I'd like to see how they stack up against other similar units.

Nothing fancy here, MS180x14" and 024AVx18" (needs some tlc) ...

You are absolutely correct. Also if your place is more "Spring Weather Predictable" than mine (As my road is still under snow!), its fine with me to let you host as you origionally planned...I just want to get a pattern going were this group does stuff...Think it over. If you would like to bring this back to your origional plans..I'm good with that(if everyone else is as well)...then I'll pitch in with food and stuff instead of diesel and road maintenance!

mine not good in the spring untill the ground drys out, it is clay and all you do is slip slide around

Willsaw, hope you can find work soon, keep at it! I know how it is to have incomplete projects and no funding. You have some great projects, it sounds like. I'll keep my eyes open for parts for you. I'm not far from you and I'll help you any way I can.

Fourfivefour, you'll have no problem with getting in there (and out). Weimy had a cool, old 'burban that was the best 4x4 on the farm till he sold it! Bring the bike, we do that too (street, dirt) the area is great.

The directions and final date will be posted very soon, I'm sure our host will take care of that this weekend, I hope!

Cortland sounds great. I'll bring my ms441, 346xp and my Homelite top handle.

Maybe I can get one of the two Homie top Handles going and even bring the Mini Mac I forgot to list. We'll have to have some littl'er wood to cut for the small saws. They need love too!
On a more serious note, what wood should we have for this thing? Any special requests? Is it customary to provide some poplar, say around 12", for some informal racing, to go along with the hardwood of various sizes? Whatcha guys think?:chainsawguy:

Motomedik & I got up on the hill today to scope out how we are going to put this together..and an idea began to form...see what you guys think:

The idea is instead of just having a place where everyone stands around and looks at logs, put some variety & adventure into the day. A little walking thru woods and for the Utility Vehicle's a little ride to one place or another to mess with a variety of wood types.

Use one field as parking & main assembly area. Have a 20-22 inch ash tree and some others misc stuff to hack at right there. This make the most sense for parking as its on top of a ridge & will be pretty dry. Maybe put up some tables/work benchs to do mechanical things....tear apart a saw or put one together.

Have two or three other area's set up out in the woods for saw "adventures" They will be aprox 1/8 to 1/4 mile away from the main spot..we are building more "direct" trail than the established horse trail system for those who need to walk. (They will be marked.)

The first will be aprox a 15 minute walk (5 minute quad ride) and its in a "blow down" area of poplar. Most are 12-15inch range with some even larger(past 24inch dia). Its a little wet this time of year so we cleared an area where we can have good footing & even possibly a tent to put food & stuff. Also have some "small saw" challenges there in the form of "hop hornbeam" (shaggy iron wood) ranging from 4-10inches. Trust me..they will challenge a small saw! We will have that stuff cut and hauled/stacked in 12-20ft lengths to be cut into firewood length...This along with short trails to a few big poplars for cookie cutting parties. We can hack & carve this stuff for benches, plancks, just fast & fun cutting on medium sized wood. There is MORE poplar than 50 guys could hack up. Around 10 acres of that stuff. Maybe if some can come earlier, we can hack some into tables, saw horses and stuff....there is a lot to work with!

The second will be about a five minute walk down into the hardwood and will be a big hard maple (22-30inch) to challenge medium to big saws. We will clear & clean leaving a pile of limbs for "small saw" work there as well...

I can add two more...if time permits along with interest for you folks. I have a "beech" area where I have 6inch to 20inch beech as well as a few enormous Ash trees, in the size range of 36-50inch...they are also 1/2 mile away.

ALSO what about having a swap meet? Bring project saws & parts?

ONE thing I want to get thru people's minds up front, I expect to see chaps, steel toe'd shoes, and Ear/eye/head PPE's (Helmet's). I will also ask one of the dealer types to bring some PPE's to SELL for those who don't have any..if none of the dealers coming can't provide some for sale maybe a local dealer can.

ALSO expect my road to be a 4WD event...no 2WD cars/pickups will make it unless itrs really dry from now to then! (We can ferry a couple I guess from the house)

Your thoughts?

Maybe some other "side shows", like old tractors (stuff that can get here on a trailer & pickup combo..or old bikes.)

(Any out there like the Old 1970's era Dirt Bikes?)
(Utility quads & Utility Vehicles welcome to get to the saw adventure spots..)

LAST but not LEAST..this all weather permitting!!...this is SPRING time in CNY!! If we get a bunch of rain or even a snow event....forget it. Unless you are really capable, your not getting up the 1/2 mile long hill and we will have to wait or cancel.

Last edited:
Weime, sounds awesome.

Without trying to be a stick in the mud, an additional idea on PPE - simple liability waiver? Doesn't have to be fancy, just an, "I agree to hold Weimedog harmless blah blah blah."

Glad to hear there will be room for the small saws, since my 180 is just about as small as it gets. :) Hopefully I can tweak this stupid 024 and have it running right or get some tips on getting it to run right while there!

Looking forward to it!

Z

Yea...I could do that. I think I still have one that was put together for a "quad" event we did here two years ago. I'll dig it up and shoot you a copy. Let me know what you think. Actually the more I think about it..its a good idea. Nothing cryptic, but something showing that all participants understand the liability thing and this is for fun not business...

Back