cny gtg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have a gtg at my place but with the snow it would be to dangerous a liability to have a bunch of people in the woods with chainsaws. But other than that I have an acre of woods that I would love to go at in order to clean it up. That would be just wrong to ask of people though. Maybe when the snow goes. If anyone is up for it by the spring maybe I can get some trees down so we could move around and biscuit them all up. And, oh ya, that the central Catskills. Anybody?

tn_gallery_640_10_70229.jpg

gallery_640_10_15716.jpg

In the winter I have a muddy & messy barn yard and horse barn (270ft long old dairy barn in various states of disrepair....) Not an Idea spot. But a spot.

If I come to a gtg at your house weimedog I'll leave the chainsaw at home and just ride the range all afternoon on that horse if that's ok. Is that a dressage saddle?

I would have a gtg at my place but with the snow it would be to dangerous a liability to have a bunch of people in the woods with chainsaws. But other than that I have an acre of woods that I would love to go at in order to clean it up. That would be just wrong to ask of people though. Maybe when the snow goes. If anyone is up for it by the spring maybe I can get some trees down so we could move around and biscuit them all up. And, oh ya, that the central Catskills. Anybody?

Yeah I would almost say we could have it here at my dad's, he has probably 5 acres that's wooded. Not sure how it would go down though, it might work if I told him some friends were coming over to help cut firewood :monkey:

Yeah I would almost say we could have it here at my dad's, he has probably 5 acres that's wooded. Not sure how it would go down though, it might work if I told him some friends were coming over to help cut firewood :monkey:

"Dad, yeah, I'm bringing twelve or fifteen friends over next weekend to ... uh ... help cut firewood. And build a campfire. And drink beer. And eat. And wrench on saws some ... that ok?"

"Dad, yeah, I'm bringing twelve or fifteen friends over next weekend to ... uh ... help cut firewood. And build a campfire. And drink beer. And eat. And wrench on saws some ... that ok?"

Yeah my dad would be expectin a pretty big heap of firewood with that many people. The fire wouldn't be much of a problem, he'd just want us to get the place cleaned up and burn the junk lying around the yard...

If I come to a gtg at your house weimedog I'll leave the chainsaw at home and just ride the range all afternoon on that horse if that's ok. Is that a dressage saddle?

LOL We have lots of woods & logging related things to do as well...as far as my place is concerned, weather determines if we can get up to those fields..I've had motorcycle and quad events up there. Nice & cool in the summer, few bugs....lots of hedgerow cleaning to be done. Pleanty of trees to drop for winter fire wood..pleanty of logs to block..but you can't get there until the road melts and right now it has around 6 feet of snow on it...

Actually it probably one of her polo saddles...(shes the one messing up that guys shot at a full gallop)

gallery_640_10_61538.jpg

Last edited:
So it appears that we have the interest in this gtg.
What we need is a location. Weimedog has a great place to have it, just that it's only accessible by snowmobile, right now. I plan to take the old skidoo junker out this weekend again. I'll get up on the hill, and see if Weimy will come too, so we can formulate a plan to be the best hosts we can be!
In the meantime, if someone has a location, and the interest, please speak up! It seems that we may lose the attendance of many of us to the dreaded "Busy Season", if we wait. I know it's a bit scary to think of a whole bunch of guys, each equipped with a bunch of saws, coming to your house! :clap:
Hope it can come together. I need to run the saws I've built along side others, or I'm never going to know what I gotta improve or change.

Snow is going away really quickly....MY road still has a couple of feet of drifts in spots but might be workable in a week or so of this weather.

I'll let my place be used if someone (or mother nature) can get the road open..before an assigned date.

My calander is pretty much open until May, so I'm game for almost any
date(s).
Weimedog, if your serious about using your place then we just need a date. I would think that everyone will need 30 or so days notice beforehand.So that puts us at around april 10th.
Lets try to get something nailed down soon before everyone gets to busy! CSW

I've made the offer and right now its about the weather and accessability. My fields where I would do this are almost a mile off the road, no "amenities" (Farm fields). We can drop a big Ash or something to make cookies with..I have plenty. We can skid it with one of the farm tractors. Make that part of the adventure. The access is my farm road which is usually fine as soon as the snow is gone. It drops down into a valley across a beaver pond and then up a wooded hill....as soon as its clear enough for pickup trucks, its available!

My question would be how many? How formal? And last but not least, do those who would be interested have 4WD capability? If I provide the place and wood..could the other members provide "pot luck" food & way to cook it? ( I can also dig a fire pit )

And if a better place becomes available, I'm not offended either, I just would like to help those with this interest have a chance to have a little fun with those who understand..I'll try and put together a couple of pics..

Here is one taken of the road a year or so ago in the winter...right now the only difference is the fields to either side are bare..just the road is filled.

picture.php

Summertime shot of the woods and pastures....

picture.php

Typical wood and skidder..

picture.php

So folks..what do YOU think?

Last edited:
Actually plenty of turkey. I have let a couple of guys who I work with hunt turkey in the spring typically..so its also crowded. I don't participate anymore. Same with deer. But we have around 7 miles of nice motorcycle/horse trails..another 5 to 7 of tight single track. (Depends on how much trail maintenance I do in the spring)

So lets start a count and date request.

Me? Any Saturday afternoon and Sunday. Same with one other I know of. With Bushman that makes Three so far.

Last edited:
Can't wait!

I'm the "one other", I guess, and will of course be there as soon as we set a date. A grill or two for food is something that we could provide, although a fire pit is a must have.

I'm the "one other", I guess, and will of course be there as soon as we set a date. A grill or two for food is something that we could provide, although a fire pit is a must have.

Yep...so that makes four.

(The dam road is washed out right at the culvert....other than that the road survived...about a day of hoe & dump truck work..nothin bad. Can use Quad Ramps to get across with Quads or Motorcycle. Snow is still 3-4ft in some sections, but we are supposed to get lots of rain tonight!)

I'm still game, as long as it's not the week of April 8 & 9 I'll be in Buffalo those days taking my Silver Level Tech testing.

Thats five..and the dates are narrowing....

That leaves:
4/5 & 4/6
4/18 & 4/19
4/25 & 4/26
5/2 & 5/3

Weather permitting + remember I need a day to fix the road. Usually pull the 24" culvert, shake it out, and reset & backfill. With extra hands its a couple of hours. By myself..its a day. Been battling this beaver for 7 years. He's won every year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back