cny gtg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
airwolf

airwolf

ArboristSite Lurker
Can any of you cny guys recommend which STIHL dealer in Syracuse to go?

I will be purchasing a new firewood saw this spring to replace my deceased Wild Thing. I cut around 6 cords per year for our wood stove. I am probably going to get a ms270 or ms361 based on AS reviews.

The 5 closest STIHL dealers are:
CNY Power Equipment
Syracuse Kubota
Gary's Equipment
Admar Supply
Creekside Shop

House Trucking was praised on some AS threads, but they are farther away
than my local dealers.

Chopwood

Chopwood

ArboristSite Guru

I will be purchasing a new firewood saw this spring to replace my deceased Wild Thing. I cut around 6 cords per year for our wood stove. I am probably going to get a ms270 or ms361 based on AS reviews.

CNY Power Equipment
Syracuse Kubota
Gary's Equipment
Admar Supply
Creekside Shop

than my local dealers.

My call is house trucking. I drive past three dealers to get there. It's about 25 miles for me, but worth it.

jeeptj19992001

jeeptj19992001

Addicted to ArboristSite

CNY Power Equipment
Syracuse Kubota
Gary's Equipment
Admar Supply
Creekside Shop

than my local dealers.

the true value on rt 11 in laffeyett

willsaw4beer

willsaw4beer

Addicted to ArboristSite

CNY Power Equipment
Syracuse Kubota
Gary's Equipment
Admar Supply
Creekside Shop

than my local dealers.

My call is house trucking. I drive past three dealers to get there. It's about 25 miles for me, but worth it.

What you should have told him is that you have a nice 036 in the trading post that would be exactly the saw he is looking for. :givebeer:

weimedog

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.

CNY Power Equipment
Syracuse Kubota
Gary's Equipment
Admar Supply
Creekside Shop

than my local dealers.

CNY is new to dealing saws...their history is being the business "Big Dog" intown. First tractors and farm eqipment second buying out the Honda Dealer and expanding to Yamaha..and the building they moved their Honda dealership from a sat for a few years..so they decided to put it to use and now they took the Stihl dealership from a small dealer who had sold Stihl for years and now CNY is the Stihl AND Husqvarna dealer in town. Chainsaws and More is trying to figure out how to survive with the remains of their Stihl inventory and Echo's...they are looking for another brand to carry.

Last edited:
weimedog

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
As far as the gtg is concerned...I think the first order of business is to get a list of who's truely both interested in one and then who actually can go on a specific date.

If there is STILL enough interest on given dates, then find a volunteer with a place or find a neutral place to put one on.

During the summer I have a wonderful place to have one...I can provide a 40 acre hill top field with shade and trees to host one...and 100acres of woods/timber with several miles of horse and motorcycle trails to drag out logs to use for "testing" (showing off).
tn_gallery_640_10_70229.jpg

gallery_640_10_15716.jpg

In the winter I have a muddy & messy barn yard and horse barn (270ft long old dairy barn in various states of disrepair....) Not an Idea spot. But a spot.

Last edited:
ZerCool

ZerCool

ArboristSite Member
As far as the gtg is concerned...I think the first order of business is to get a list of who's truely both interested in one and then who actually can go on a specific date.

I'd be interested. I've got some vacation time to use, most any weekend would probably work. Might learn something and get this damn 024 to stop smoking.

weimedog

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
That makes three..Me, Zerc, and motomedik..a motorcycle/quad professional mechanic type. Get enough people I might be able to get a local dealer to show as well...also depends on where...and when. I would have to do one on a Sunday. I work from 3:30am to 2:00pm Wen, Thurs, Fri, Sat every week untill April.

Last edited:
Smokerr

Smokerr

ArboristSite Operative

I wood (pun intended) go with the MS270 in your case.

I have about the same situation, though I may cut a few more cords a year.
That being the mid level user vs the pro user. In my case, I don't cut everday day (pro) and that really puts me in mid level.

The 280 and 290 are also good saws, but it seemed like the 270 exceeded the needs, and a lower price (and much lower than the MS361 which by all reports is an excellent saw).

Upshot is that I have cut someplace between 18-25 cords with the 270 so far. It will cut for 4-6 hours straight with no problems (that more or less the time it takes to load the pickup full neatly stacked).

I went with the 18 inch as I sometimes do cut trees like that, or I have paralleled trees (doubles and sometimes triples) that I can cut three rounds at the same time. I does that just fine (the 18 inch makes it handy for measuring the length of the rounds as my eye is not good for that).

Keeping in mind I bought it three years ago, it does have some peculiarities.
One is its a bit hard to start. I found most of the time I had to go with full choke and get it to sputter. Then drop off to regular choke and it fires up fine.

Once hot, it doesn't need any. Cool down a bit and it needs choke again.

With a sharp chain it cuts frozen wood very well, its relatively light and handy, and the anti vibration system is amazing as there is zero vibration transmitted to your hands.

I did flood it so bad it would not start once. I was cutting in snow covered logs and could not get all the snow off. After 3 hours it froze up and would not start. I was froze up anyway (-25) and went home. It Stihl would not start. I tried the clearing procedure and nada. Figured it needed to thaw out all the ice and snow and did so overnight. Stihl would not start.
I then carefully re-read the clearing procedure and did it by the book step by step (I had been doing it wrong and cleaning the plug each start attempt did not help). Once I did it exactly the way they said to, it fired right up.

I have had two chains break, one I think was at the assembly link. The other in between. Not sure what that is about, the one they replaced as it had damaged cutters, the other they fixed (no charge). I am using their winter oil, so that is not the issue.

Frankly, in all the reading, I think the choices are really the 270 and the 361. If you need more than the 270, then the 316 is the choice.