Coating on stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjett84724

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a wood burning stove in the house and fired it up for the first time over the weekend. It filled the house up with the most foul smoke you have ever smelled. The carbon monoxide detector never went off, so I did not believe it was from the pipe.
I got looking closer and it was coming off of the top of the stove. :jawdrop:

Is there some kind of coating I should have washed off before firing this thing up? It smelled like some kind of rubber, or plastic burning.
I have burned wood for years in other houses and other stoves and the only other time I have smelled something like this is when the kids would put their toy army men on the stove to watch them melt. I don't want to burn anymore wood in this thing until I know for sure. :confused:

I have a wood burning stove in the house and fired it up for the first time over the weekend. It filled the house up with the most foul smoke you have ever smelled. The carbon monoxide detector never went off, so I did not believe it was from the pipe.
I got looking closer and it was coming off of the top of the stove. :jawdrop:

Is there some kind of coating I should have washed off before firing this thing up? It smelled like some kind of rubber, or plastic burning.
I have burned wood for years in other houses and other stoves and the only other time I have smelled something like this is when the kids would put their toy army men on the stove to watch them melt. I don't want to burn anymore wood in this thing until I know for sure. :confused:

Not unusual for a new stove to make fumes on first fireing. They should have a warning saying to fire it up outside the first time. Yours sounds like something else as I have never seen or heard of one putting out that much.

Harry K

is the stove new?

If the stove is new the smell may just be the paint. When I bought my insert last year it smelled funny for the first couple of fires but the paperwork that came with it said this was normal and the smell would go away, witch it did after a bout a week or so. That being said I don't remember seeing any visible smoke coming off the unit itself.

Yep, they ALL do that when they are brand new. Its a coating that is made to BAKE on as you fire it the first time. It smokes as it cures, and makes a very durable finish. It won't smoke the next firing, but it might still have a slight odor. After it gets real hot once, the smell will be gone.
I always fire mine outside on the driveway the first time before I even put it in the house!

My new stove (Blaze King) had warnings on it and in the manual about this. As already said it's the paint curing. I installed mine in the summer so was able to leave the windows open on a windy day and fire it up good and hot.
It did smoke and stink

My new stove (Blaze King) had warnings on it and in the manual about this.

Read the manual? You must be kidding. :censored:

In the early '70's my folks bought a "Mama Bear" stove. The lady at the store told us about the need to fire it up so we unpacked it on the truck and fired it up for the 60 mile drive!! Got a lot of looks on the highway, but it was cool to the touch once we got home and made very little smell in the house once installed.

What the heck is a manual? :confused: Thanks for all the replies. That was it. I talked to Chris at Dixie fireplace and he set me straight. Whew, that stuff stinks. Thanks again:givebeer: :clap: :cheers:

If it wasn't on there, you'd have a rusty hunk of metal instead of a nice flat black woodstove! :)

Latest posts

Back