Cold weather starting problems!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening, my echo 620p is extremely temperamental when trying to start when it’s cold out, about 15 to 30 deg. I have a second 620 that is not. I don’t have that one at the moment (brother has it for a while) but the saws are the same so why the difference in starting? I’ve started from scratch with the carb and tried setting the jets to my altitude (one full turn out) on each. And was hoping to tune from there. However the saw will choke fine and then run for a few seconds after choked but I have to stand on one leg, hold my tongue just right and feather the throttle lightly to keep it going but it sounds very very fat during this and it refuses to idle on its own or even get warm enough to tune properly. When it quits I have to choke it each time to get it to run again.
I need your help! Thanks!!

Carb could be freezing if you have moisture in the carb from days gone by or even from warm storing they can be troublesome.
I like to avoid fires and warm trucks and warm storing and keep it climatized through freeze up when possible. What kind of filter are you running? Mesh? Not good for powder snow.
If you have warm storage then fire it the second you walk outside and see if it runs.

If so then the best option for me is usually to rip down the carb and dry it. If it doesn't run then you know it's not from the cold weather, as you stated.
You can try a hot dry room with the top and filter off.
When you go outside then keep it running for some time(preferably cutting) and it will climatize. I used to idle them in the back of the truck on the way to work after a night of cleaning the carb and drying the saw out good.I know, witchcraft! I never believed this §hit either..haha.
If it's good at the end of cutting after it cools again then cold store it.

Whilst looking at the choke then make sure the impulse line is on properly. (Assuming it has an external line)
A failing coil could be a possibility too?
Notice any fuel leaking out of the front and back of the muffler?

Carb could be freezing if you have moisture in the carb from days gone by or even from warm storing they can be troublesome.
I like to avoid fires and warm trucks and warm storing and keep it climatized through freeze up when possible. What kind of filter are you running? Mesh? Not good for powder snow.
If you have warm storage then fire it the second you walk outside and see if it runs.

If so then the best option for me is usually to rip down the carb and dry it. If it doesn't run then you know it's not from the cold weather, as you stated.
You can try a hot dry room with the top and filter off.
When you go outside then keep it running for some time(preferably cutting) and it will climatize. I used to idle them in the back of the truck on the way to work after a night of cleaning the carb and drying the saw out good.I know, witchcraft! I never believed this §hit either..haha.
If it's good at the end of cutting after it cools again then cold store it.

Whilst looking at the choke then make sure the impulse line is on properly. (Assuming it has an external line)
A failing coil could be a possibility too?
Notice any fuel leaking out of the front and back of the muffler?

I am defiantly familiar with carb icing from having that happen to me while flying a Cessna 180!! NOT FUN!! LOL

the saw has been stored in a very cold shop and I should add the temps have been single digits and below zero some the past few days... (not ready for that yet)

The muffler was dry after all my attempts and I do believe the choke is operating like it should. Filter is the stock mesh. I'm gonna try some of the above suggestions this afternoon and see where I get.

Thank you! hopefully its something simple as it should be.

5 tanks...its not even broke in yet, how many tanks on the other one?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back