Coldest night of the season so far for us....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tramp bushler it doesn't get much colder then that, at least not on that thermometer!! :jawdrop:

I think Tramp Bushler, is going to win this contest everytime!

It's been -30F here for the past three nights in a row. I dont remember it being that cold for that many nights in a row. Anyhow, the firechief furnace is working great. Last night in the middle of the night, the wife opened up the sliding patio door in our bedroom for a few minutes to cool down our bedroom and turned on the ceiling fan. I will admit I may have over done it a bit when I loaded the furnace, but hey, at -30 a guy can't mess around. Then to top it all off my boss calls me up at 8am to tell me we are working today around ten. I said you must be kidding, its -28 outside. You could have called anytime over the weekend to let us know, so I could at least plug my diesel truck in for more than 1 1/2 hours that has been sitting since new years eve in this cold :dizzy:

IT was 13 on drive in to work this morning according to the car thermometer. The load of red oak I put in the OWB at 9pm last night still had some logs left at 5am this morning.

LP didn't kick in, never does since I broke the controller :)

Friday night was -33 for us. Sat was a high of -10 and I was outside for about 6 hours wearing just a long sleeved t-shirt, sweatshirt, jeans and my chaps...cutting wood....and sweating!

weve had -30 here for the last 3 nites .. the daytime temps did get to a balmy 3 above during the peak of the day. this should do it here for now till end of feb. 1st of march ... wont be long now till the weather starts to make us long for next seasons ear nippers again to spend time in the portable outhouse on the lake... stay warm

About a week and a half ago, a warm front came through and dumped rain. Made everything moist. Right on its tail was a wicked cold front. Temps took a nosedive.

In the process, the thermometer needle froze at 28° enroute to 0°. Been 28 for a long time now. Sometimes it feels about that. Sometimes feels colder. Sometimes a lot colder. What's up with that? :)

No temp here this morn,as the thermometer just sat on zero. Kinda cold for east central missouri. Our coldest so far this year, but the Fire chief keeping up since I started putting more wood in it each time. Cut a couple loads of mostly dead standing oak over the weekend and split some of it yesterday.

Been a solid 15*F for the last 4 days or so probably, plus the wind chills were dipping below -10*F where my house is. I don't got #### on you guys LOL, cold for Western Pennsylvania though, especially for the duration it has been cold.

Friday night was -33 for us. Sat was a high of -10 and I was outside for about 6 hours wearing just a long sleeved t-shirt, sweatshirt, jeans and my chaps...cutting wood....and sweating!

. You must be very healthy to be able to regulate your temp that well .......... I can work well if I.m healthy at the time @ 10 below F in 1 set of mid weight synthetic long johns and cutting pants with the pads in fleece shirt and jacket , hard hat with ear muffs and gloves ..... But out in the brush I always have more clothes with me real close in case something goes wrong ....... Tho I regularly work in cold temps ,, ,I work alone down to -35 F . I have very good gear and I use it .. I sweat ALOT , cotton is almost useless when it gets saturated with sweat and freezes over.... even @ -25 my fleece watch hat / touque will freeze to my hard hat suspension so that when I take my hard hat off my touque comes off with it ....... ............

I think Tramp Bushler, is going to win this contest everytime!

It's been -30F here for the past three nights in a row. I dont remember it being that cold for that many nights in a row. Anyhow, the firechief furnace is working great. Last night in the middle of the night, the wife opened up the sliding patio door in our bedroom for a few minutes to cool down our bedroom and turned on the ceiling fan. I will admit I may have over done it a bit when I loaded the furnace, but hey, at -30 a guy can't mess around. Then to top it all off my boss calls me up at 8am to tell me we are working today around ten. I said you must be kidding, its -28 outside. You could have called anytime over the weekend to let us know, so I could at least plug my diesel truck in for more than 1 1/2 hours that has been sitting since new years eve in this cold :dizzy:

. You may understand , but many don,t that if the vehicle isn,t plugged in , it aint moving for hours . Unless you put a space heater under it and a tarp over it , and plug it in ......
. Actually it gets REAL COLD IN TOK . .. Like minus 76 degrees Fahrenheit...
And Delta Junction can get 50 below and the wind blow to 80 mph ...........I don,t want to live there ...

Grew up in Florida, when we moved to Wisconsin boy did I get an education. I had never heard of "plugging your car in". I discovered what -30degF means that year. My Florida bred lab took a few steps outside and just lay down, refused to walk so I had to carry him back inside.

You have not been cold until your eyes freeze closed when you blink.

I would argue that most folks south of the mason dixon really have no idea what cold weather is.

Cold here too,(about 15 now) I just took a load of supplies to my job site and had to bust the pallets loose with a sledge!

it was 32 below zero Sat. morning...had to get a jump to fire up the vehicle so we could go ice fishing.
Got my portable set up banked in and the heater rolling.10 minutes later it was fish on!
2010icefishing081.jpg

...looking down my ice hole these crappies could not get up soon enough to go home with me...LOL
2010icefishing096.jpg

Last edited:
You have not been cold until your eyes freeze closed when you blink.

I would argue that most folks south of the mason dixon really have no idea what cold weather is.

.actually , tho it is cold outside to get your eyes to freeze shut , it is pretty common .. Thats why there are goggles . when it gets cold , -50 f. you need goggles as with glasses you will freeze your face @ the bridge of your nose .. ski / snow board/ snow go goggles are needed . and full face masks with breath warmers ...are mandatory . unless you have a parka with a true arctic hood with a good ruff .......

.actually , tho it is cold outside to get your eyes to freeze shut , it is pretty common .. Thats why there are goggles . when it gets cold , -50 f. you need goggles as with glasses you will freeze your face @ the bridge of your nose .. ski / snow board/ snow go goggles are needed . and full face masks with breath warmers ...are mandatory . unless you have a parka with a true arctic hood with a good ruff .......

I didn't know any better at the time so I went out with an old army issue pal cap (the one with the ear flaps that velcro over your face), had to put my eye glasses in my pocket since the first breath outside makes them opaque. I walked from home to the train to get to work - about 1.5 miles, still not sure how I avoided frostbite.

True cold is a genuinely different animal, it iws worth taking advice from folks who know what they are talking about. Cold is not something that you can tough-man through, it will just kill or maim you.

it was 32 below zero Sat. morning...had to get a jump to fire up the vehicle so we could go ice fishing.
Got my portable set up banked in and the heater rolling.10 minutes later it was fish on!
2010icefishing081.jpg

...looking down my ice hole these crappies could not get up soon enough to go home with me...LOL
2010icefishing096.jpg

I dont know about anybody else,but I dont want to see a pic of anybodys icehole... :monkey:

kokokokokokokokokay...that's no fargun icehole that's a fiver with my fish in it ,but it looked like an icehole the way I took the pic.

Wait...then why'd you just tell us it was full of crappie? That's a fargun icehole FULL of crappie if I've ever seen one! ...but I don't believe that I ever have and let's keep it that way, k?

:cheers:

Back