Collectors.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightning strikes

JIML,,,,Awesome,,your killing me here. Awesome saws, awesome pics....As you guys can probably tell,,im new here to this site. But I got to tell you,,,,its awesome to know that im not the only one who is totally insane. I keep telling my girlfriend its totally normal to love ole classic powerhouse chainsaws. Now I have a website to prove it. This and Acresinternet. Thanks Guys,,,Caretaker791 in the good ole WV.

Stihl Production Numbers

jimL, I have a 20. Seems to me it was misssing a the brake handle and needed rings.

Been meaning to ask this question: Has anyone seen production numbers (quantities of items manufactured) for Stihl saws by type????? rick

Originally posted by rb_in_va
Bill G,
What do you do with all those saws?

Well of course I use them.

I honestly do not know how many I have. One of these days I will dig them all out and see how many there are. My goal is to be able to cut everyday of the year with a different saw.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill G
My goal is to be able to cut everyday of the year with a different saw.

How close would you say you are to that goal? Thatsalottasawz!

I added several saws to my collection in the past year. Homelite 2100 s,McCulloch 610,710,10-10,pro 10-10,Super 44A,250,Super pro 105,Super Pro 125,Super Pro 125C and 650[gear drive ].Stihl 042,048[sem ignition],048 [Bosc igniton].Lombard Lightning 2,Commanga.All these have been restored,also about 20,that haven't been,as yet. Al

Nice!!!

Nice saw Al. Looks like a 125. Probably one of the best saws McCulloch ever made. I have a Pro 10-10 that screams. I like em as well. Show us some more pics. :) :)

Chainsaw Collectors

Just added a Pro mac 125 & Two McCullogh Double Eagles, a DE 50 & A DE 80, also added a 1-99 Two Man Saw that has very little hours on it. This should bring my McCullogh saw count to 50. 29 are restored & the rest are waiting for parts & paint--Any one outthere comes upon some Mac Double Eagle saws whole units or partsplease let me know. I have tried everybody for coils with no luck..I'll post pics in a few days...Thanks, BILL

gr8mac and other collectors

Here is a picture of my McCulloch super pro 105,the "little brother" to sp 125 [ if you call 6.5 cu. in little ] This saw sat in a repair shop in Minn.,for 20 yrs. with a broken recoil houseing. Do to this fact,it has had very little use.All the original decals are still intact,as well as 90% of the paint [all I painted was the black portion ] . I think it is perhaps the original 24" bar. In addition to replaceing the recoil,I replaced the fixed jet model s Tillotson carb,with an adjustable jet ,model s.The saw starts,runs and cuts well,although ,of course.not as peppy as an sp 125. Al

Another McCulloch

Here is a picture of my 650 McCulloch .This was basicaly a "basket case " when I got it.I replaced the entire ignition system and flywheel,made a clutch cover-chain guard,and replaced the crank seals.When I had the engine apart,I discovered it had been bored.030",and had a Wiseco Kart engine piston[ pulls over about like my SP 105 does,if I forget to push the compression release]It has had the intake,and transfers raised,and enlarged slighty.I replaced the 7 tooth spur,with an 8 tooth [modified Homelite ] It has a 32" [usable] bar and 1/2" Carlton chain.This is a 2 to 1 reduction. In the cut,it runs at slighty over 9,000 r.p.m. I was never much of a fan of gear reduction saws [ used the heavy old beasts when I was a teenager ],but this is the exception to the rule. Al

These are some pretty bada$$ saws here, I LOVE the older McCulloch saws, they just look and sound cool, plus theres the power thing for a saw from the era that the saw was made in too. I've always liked McCullochs, I guess because my dad had a little Mac 130 tophandle saw for firewood cutting. If anyone has an SP125 they dont want I'll take it if it works and cuts. same thing for a Homelite 750E model.

Homelite,this time

A change of brands , this time. Here is a picture of my Homelite 2100 s .This one spent is's life in the hands of a timber faller in Or.When I recieved the saw,the compression release did not work[ about like rope starting a Harley ] One of those huge Oregon lumber men nearly jerked the fan cover off of it.I of course repaired the problem,rebuilt the carb. etc. and spent about 2 hrs. heliarcing the cover back together. The saw has all of the legendary power they are noted for. With a 36"bar,it is about equal to a sp 125 Mac. With a 48" bar,the Mac wins,hands down. I might note,I had to"reborrow" the picture from Mike's site because of a bit of a computor problem that I had several months ago.[ my pictures went into cyber space,and I can't find them all ]Al

Nice!!!

Hi Al. Very nice pics. I am wondering what kind of paint you use on the old macs? Also, I have been looking for a muffler for my pro 10-10, know where I might find one? I see your in Lima. I live in Southeastern Ohio about an hour from Columbus.

gr8mac and other collectors

McCulloch paint: I have found the closest match to McCulloch paint to be OSHA safety yellow[tractor supply] .As far as a muffler for a 10-10,left hand start ,would ,perhaps be ,most of that series .Right hand,would be the same.You might check Mikes site to be sure.Also check msc.com,for after market.If you can not find a match,send me an e-mail ,because I have a copy of the McCulloch micro's,with the numbers etc. I might add, that have used a lot of the 10 series parts to repair other saws.Example being,I used a 2-10 crank on a 6-10 engine.Although Mac lists a another part number,sometimes they will interchange.Best of luck. Al

Mac's

For you Mac collectors....... I collect and restore Stihl's so generally don't don't pick up other brands unless it's large cc's.

Recently found a Mac 840 gear drive in fair condition. I'm pretty sure it's an 840 comparing to Mike Acres picture and it's close to 30# power head. Is this saw common? rick

Hey deereguy post a pic or send me an email, I'll see if I can tell you what you've got. Sounds like a neat ole saw to have. My oldest is a Homelite DM 50 from 78 or so. my newest is a husky 323L trimmer from just a year ago.

Oldest saw

This a picture of my oldest saw.McCulloch Super 44a [ I have incorrect lettering on it oops ].This saw is,I think,one of the last of this series,being a take off of the D-44 series.This one has a displacement of 5.3 cu.in.Also it is a variation of a very successful kart engine,the Mc 49.A local Stihl dealer [ at one time a McCulloch dealer ],told me he won 47 out of 50 kart races ,during one season,with the racing version of this engine. The air-vain governor is shot on this saw,so I am running it direct. He is also the guy that charged me over $40.00 for a 24"chain loop,which promted me to buy a spinner and "roll my own ".Because the saw has a spring loaded choke,it can be a chore to get started [three hands would be helpful ],but once warmed up,starts easily.I have an early McCulloch advertisment that lists the horse power at 6.5.The saw is pretty robust,but I question that high of a power rating.Al

Restoring

Al, how do you deal with labels? Do you make them yourself???

McCulloch 840

Deereguy;I looked up this saw in my micros and,just for information,they list 3 chain pitchs, .404 [ easy to find ] ,1/2' [hard to find ] and 9/16" [rare as a hens tooth ] .This appears to be of the same series as the 895,although a few ccs smaller [after 6 cu.in ,whose counting] In the early 60 's [before OSHA],one of the many part time jobs I had was helping a logger.Together with a bunch of beat up other big saws,he had an 895,with a 48"bar.This big old "war club" was a real handful to a skinny 15 year old,that weighed about 140 lbs,that was me ,40 years ago and 90 lbs lighter. Al

Restoring-labels

Art stores,and craft shops sell transfer labels of different sizes and colors.While not exactly the "correct"method for restoration purposes, they work for me.I install them,and several days later give the entire area a coating of clear,matte finish urethane.These saws,are no different than my other restoration endeavers[tractors,machine tools,cars etc. ] in that I not only restore,but use as well.I have never had these letters fall off.Al

Back