Collectors.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pm 610 chain brake reply

cbfarmall;The chain brake spring,can be a real pain at times if it comes loose.It is wound to snap the lock over the pin upon en gagement of the brake,and takes a pretty good snap to release it.When changing the chain,always remember to disengage the brake before you take the top 2 nuts off the brake handle,prior to removing the clutch/chain guard.If the spring comes off,it's a chore to get it back on,hence a lot of them you see have no working chain brake.I have put a few of them back on and to be quite honest,it normally takes me several tries.To tell a story on myself[ I really am a bit windy] years ago I did what I told you not to do,I tried to remove the clutch guard with the brake engaged[ attack of stupidity on my part ] and snapped the spring off.I wasn't done cutting yet so I took off the band and handle and laid them on a stump and finnished my work. You can already guess the rest of story,they are still on that stump,somewhere in Knox county Ohio .Duh:eek: Good luck Al

Al,

I know what you mean about the spring being a pain to install. Took me a couple minutes to figure out how the mechanism was setup. First try ended up with a guard that wouldn't budge. Second attempt, much better. Got a screwdriver in there to push/pry the hooked end back into place.

In contrast to this saw, my 066 has a hair-trigger brake. Breathe on it the wrong way and it snaps.

Thanks alot, Chris B.

McCulloc 250

Here we have a model 250,McCulloch.They are by no means rare because Mac must have made a million of them.I used a few of these when I was a teenager on the farm,and they were fairly new at the time.Today,they are condsidered slow and heavy,but then they were light and fast,considering the big old gear drives we were using.How many of you have been on the helper handle of a model 7 Mall?I changed this one from a 24".404 to 20" 3/8,with an 8 tooth rim,and it increased the speed of cut a lot.It has a new old stock Oregon "armor Tip" bar.I think the felows on the coast call these bars a "salmon belly".Well we don't have any salmon in Ohio,but we do have a lot of carp. Al

Nice 250 Al. I always liked those. I like D-44's too. You have any pics of those and any comments on them? :)

I've got a Stihl 032AV W/new 20" bar spotted. It's seems to be in excellent condition. Seems a customer brought it in years ago for a new bar/chain and never picked it up.

any good? what's it worth?

D 44 Mac reply

gr8mac; I have only ever seen 1 d-44 Mac,which my uncle John had . I never saw it run, because work didn't fit in uncle Johns vocabulary.I discusted these models via e-mail with a gent from B.C. who sold and serviced these saws when they were newly on the market { Hi Mike }.He said they were quit popular with the loggers etc. The closest thing I have,is a Super 44A,which I've made a post of on this thread .As I understand it,it's a later model being 5.3 cu.in.verses 4.4 for the D44.Must be quit torquey because it had a 30 inch bar on it which I put on my 650.I then put the 24",from the 250 and put it on the super 44A ,and a 20" inch bar on the 250{musical bars.not to be confused with musical chairs ] Al

Newest addition.

Here is my newest addition to the ole collection. A sears U4D direct drive. Model number on it is 917.60050. Nice shape and purrs like a kitten. One thing I don't recognize is the chain maker. It has BW stamped on the straps. Here is a pic of the saw.

Pm 610 brake spring

cbfarmall; As a coincidence,a fellow dropped of a Pm 610,last night for me to look.I got it running,with no problem,but the brake spring was off.In putting it back on,I thought it might be nice if I took a pic. and sent it in for reference.Here it is,prior to installation of the handle.I will follow,with another pic. Al

Very informative Al. I myself could have used them a couple of months ago. I disassembled my pro mac 10-10 brake assembly for cleaning. I didn't think I would ever get it back together. When I got it apart, it flew apart and I didn't see where the part went. So here I was, looking for a part, that I didn't even know what it looked like. After a couple of hours of looking (I was outside when all this happened), all I found was a copper washer. I emailed a guy that had a 10-10 and he was nice enough to take some pics of his assembly up close which in turn, helped me get mine back together. All I can say is that spring is a b&^%ch.

Hey all. Just added a Mac 440 to the collection. Decent shape, runs good. Sounds like a harley. I like the looks of it. Much bigger than I expected it would be. 87cc's of vintage power, arrr
arrr arrr arrrr arrrr. :)

Just picked up a Homelite 2000 automatic. Any know the specs on one? It has a 21" bar & a decompression lever...Thanks, Rick/Saw Slut

Homelite 2000 reply

Rick; A Homelite 2000,appears to be an older version of the model 2100. 7 cubic inch [115 cc ].If you go to Mikes site,you can get more info,as well as a picture.I would say,offhand,that it is a powerful old "Hoss".Al

I have added quite a few new saws but below is picture of a pair of 090's. It is nice to run the the gear drive 090 against the clutch drive. The old gear drive sure turns slow.

Bill

Back