communication

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kowens

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i am looking for a way to communicate with the crane opr.
and ground man
i have been looking at the peltor lite com.
any suggestions?

Try talking to the guy. Make a plan before with the operator before you start. Don't make him take you everywhere you want to be. Sling it cut it and move on to the next.piece. Then he brings in the ball and sling, you sling it and cut it and move on. Any other way is just plain lazy. If the operator doesn't like what you have slung or are about to cut then he can just jump ship or bail. My guy is really good and will hang in there.

IMHO, the Peltors are way overpriced. I use a Radio Shack hands free two-way radio. I bought it a LONG time ago. I think it was about $50. Its voice-activated with an ear piece. You can clip it on your belt in the back and forget about it.

B.J i did not ask how to remove a tree with a crane
the company i work for owns a 30 ton so thats all i do and i have
to say im ???? good at it , climbing or in a bucket
thear are times the crane opr can not see

thanks brett i will check it out today
i see your trucks around all the time but been to busy to stop and chat hope you are haveing luck finding a climber

work safe

ken

Originally posted by kowens
thear are times the crane opr can not see

That's true, but for me it's such a rare occurence it doesn't warrant the need for headset communication. I don't really care for wearing em, myself.
When the occasion does arise, I'll just have a crewmember (or two) establish a line-of-sight and use standard crane operation signals. I have used cellphones, kinda a PITA.

Try those peltor headset jobbies on a helmet and you will quickly see the beauty in hand signals. I have only used them once and they work great. Hands free communication, even while running a saw.

Just heavy and akward on your head.

It has been several months since I have used them. Here, most people see no need to use a crane when a climber and crew can get the job done in 8-10hrs w/out a crane.:angry: They just can't see the beauty in being cleaned up and rolling to the next job at noon.:cool:

Latest posts

Back