Compact utility tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kubota and Deere are both very proud of their tractors, and the price reflects. I picked up a 50hp mahindra 4wd with a cab for 15k less than the other two. Is it as good as the kubota I had? No, but it is heavy, strong and gets the job done. Most of the tractors in this class are made in South Korea anyways. I now think 4wd is a must, and would no longer get a tractor without a cab

I have a New Holland TC 29 (29 hp gear drive weighted turf tires) 4 wheel drive diesel. bought it new with loader. does all I need on ten acres and long drive. no repairs just maintenance for 10 years. used for snowplowing the drive,moving dirt,gravel,pulling logs from woods,brushhogging. all 5 ft implements and uses very little fuel. check the lift specs on the 3 pt hitch and the total weight of tractor for comparing how well they are built. mow the yard with a zrt50 its much faster.

The TC 29 replaced the 1700-1800 Ford IIRC.
Darn things are a real tractor like the series before them. Little snots punch way above thier weight class.
Heavy enough to get some bite on the ground and actually do some work.

The CUT's and SCUT's are too light and don't have the ass to put thier power to work, and lack the leverage from bieng short coupled.
It's the trade off from bieng so versitile around the yard, and bieng light enough to mow with and not leaving ruts in the lawn.

I got to looking hard at the new LS Tractors a couple years back, and they looked awfull familliar and I just couldn't put a finger on why.
Then it hit me. Shibura/New Holland. Digging a little deeper, Case/IH/NH has a slew of models that are nothing more than rebadged LS tractors now, with very few differences other than paint and small bits. For 15K a guy can get a brand new 30hp LS with loader...and not have to pay the premium for Red paint, or the boutique prices for parts when needed.

Somewhere out there, somebody is compiling a database of parts commonality between the LS/NH tractors, and it could lead to making the older NH tractors VERY affordable to keep running for a LONG time. ;)

true but the loaders are quite different between the bands. LS also has more standard features for the price. telescopic links, 2 rear remotes etc

I like my LS. I've got nothing to compare it to (my first tractor), but it hasn't disappointed me yet. It was about $10-12,000 less than a similarly equipped Kubota, and about $12-14,000 less than a similarly equipped JD. I use it to move material around our property, bushhog our pasture (about 15 acres), and dig ditches (backhoe attachment). I'd have no issues recommending LS to a potential buyer.

Back