Competition?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TreeAce

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
What I hate is HO who WANTS ..no...INSISTS...on showing the other guys written bid in hopes of a yet lower price. OBV I hate it cuz I know (assume) it happens to me. I also think it happens to me alittle to often cuz I am generally very fast to respond and give the bid. I still prefer to be the first guy there but sometimes I gotta wonder if its best.
Cant say I have had any problems with other tree guys. I also keep my mouth shut about others. I just tell HO "Just make sure they are Insured and pay there WC, and if it doesnt go well give me a call". There is a company in my area that is hard for me not to trash talk. I saw them a few weeks ago workn on a rather busy road hoggen one side so two cars cant pass an they got brush stickn out into what street was left, no flag man, NO CONES!! nothin . So i drive by and just kinda nod n they all nod back. I wanted to tell them what I really thought but didn't. ANYWAY......couple days later i am at the storage area where I park my trucks n a guy pulls up and whats to know if I ever want to hire some good workers for cheap ( his teen age sons n there buds) let him know. Guy has some trailers parked there and so turns out he is BROTHERS with the hack I was about to tell off! He woulda KNOWN who I was but I woulda been clueless about him. Not sayn he or anyone would messed with my stuff but hey...who knows?!?

treeclimber101

treeclimber101

UNCLE BUCK
I say to everyone out there "KILLING" the industry with cheap prices , question your own self worth and self respect? If you get up and go kill yourself on a tree all day shouldn't you compensated well for it?? Your robbing yourself , plain and simple , and your allowing yourself to be played by the HO's out there pitting one contractor against another , so stop all this WE'LL BEAT ANY COMPETITORS PRICE again your robbing yourself , if the HO is calling 10 different companies well they are ready to do something now there just baiting some sucker to do it for free... And as far as insurance is concerned WOOOWWW working without it , I mean really its like swimming in a pool with a 200 great whites with a bloody nose ,your just waiting to be bitten BAD .. Theres enough for all of us out there even now ya just can't be greedy and scummy to get it ,why work 5 days for peanuts when you can work 3 days for better money seems like a no brainer right....

ozzy42

ozzy42

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey this gives me an idea. I am going to change my advertising. Hack for hire,non insured wanna be tree man with pickup and saw"will travel" get r done pricing upon request! I can fall any tree cheaper than anyone,"not responsible for damage even though we seldom miss our target" 30" tree 150.00 no clean-up. We'll take a chance for you.

LOL you forgot "all payments made in cash in advance of commencement of job"
"we'll be back to finish.We promise"

ducaticorse

ducaticorse

Addicted to ArboristSite
I say to everyone out there "KILLING" the industry with cheap prices , question your own self worth and self respect? If you get up and go kill yourself on a tree all day shouldn't you compensated well for it?? Your robbing yourself , plain and simple , and your allowing yourself to be played by the HO's out there pitting one contractor against another , so stop all this WE'LL BEAT ANY COMPETITORS PRICE again your robbing yourself , if the HO is calling 10 different companies well they are ready to do something now there just baiting some sucker to do it for free... And as far as insurance is concerned WOOOWWW working without it , I mean really its like swimming in a pool with a 200 great whites with a bloody nose ,your just waiting to be bitten BAD .. Theres enough for all of us out there even now ya just can't be greedy and scummy to get it ,why work 5 days for peanuts when you can work 3 days for better money seems like a no brainer right....

The legit services have to just suck it up and persevere. WE DON'T have the mentality that a successfull business is built overnight. Eventually, we'll get ours, and the uninsured will get out of business, either from a lawsuit, or the Department of Industrial Accidents, or maybe getting their uninsured schit set on fire.......

treeclimber101

treeclimber101

UNCLE BUCK
The legit services have to just suck it up and persevere. WE DON'T have the mentality that a successfull business is built overnight. Eventually, we'll get ours, and the uninsured will get out of business, either from a lawsuit, or the Department of Industrial Accidents, or maybe getting their uninsured schit set on fire.......

I don't really give a #### if I work 3 days or 5 my #### is paid for and I enjoy my home life , so call me less motivated or lazy , I will wait for MY KINDA work to do and do it .. I refuse to sell the last 12 years that I have invested to make a decent living killing myself ...And even know that insurance on parked trucks and liability on no work kills me , It can't possibly be worse than knowing that I AM lying straight face to a customer or selling myself short..

ducaticorse

ducaticorse

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't really give a #### if I work 3 days or 5 my #### is paid for and I enjoy my home life , so call me less motivated or lazy , I will wait for MY KINDA work to do and do it .. I refuse to sell the last 12 years that I have invested to make a decent living killing myself ...And even know that insurance on parked trucks and liability on no work kills me , It can't possibly be worse than knowing that I AM lying straight face to a customer or selling myself short..

Hear hear brotha.....!

Check this add out on CL not one thing in this guys add is true. NOT ONE THING. I know this because I know who he is personaly. He's a total scam 100%. Dude has never worked for any forestry department period. Started hacking trees in August of this year. Doesn't have a business license, and has NO INSURANCE. The bucket in the picture is another tree service's altogether. EVERYTHING in the add is a lie except the phone number.

TREE WORK- Quality,Reliable & Clean Full Service Tree Company

Now what would you think as a customer reading that farkin add?!! How the hell is it possible to have the total lack of morals to pull #### like that off?

jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
. AS Supporting Member.
Reading this thread reminds of the old day's. Make's me glad we don't do residential. Getting pretty Regged here if you want to be legit. If you don't consistently get invited to bid's in the 5 or 6 digit's, it will be difficult to succeed.
I am glad we are TCIA Acreditted or we would of missed out on some good job's. So, anyway, this thread brings me back.
Jeff ;)

ducaticorse

ducaticorse

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reading this thread reminds of the old day's. Make's me glad we don't do residential. Getting pretty Regged here if you want to be legit. If you don't consistently get invited to bid's in the 5 or 6 digit's, it will be difficult to succeed.
I am glad we are TCIA Acreditted or we would of missed out on some good job's. So, anyway, this thread brings me back.
Jeff ;)

I'm a member of the TCIA, but I don't know how much an accreditation would help my little outfit just yet.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Jeff ;)

Yeah its more companies whose president never even looked at a tree getting the big contracts. Walmart tree service is coming soon guys.

jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
. AS Supporting Member.
Hear hear brotha.....!

Check this add out on CL not one thing in this guys add is true. NOT ONE THING. I know this because I know who he is personaly. He's a total scam 100%. Dude has never worked for any forestry department period. Started hacking trees in August of this year. Doesn't have a business license, and has NO INSURANCE. The bucket in the picture is another tree service's altogether. EVERYTHING in the add is a lie except the phone number.

TREE WORK- Quality,Reliable & Clean Full Service Tree Company

Now what would you think as a customer reading that farkin add?!! How the hell is it possible to have the total lack of morals to pull #### like that off?

I clicked on his Facebook page, he has no freinds and no info on him.
Jeff :jester:

ducaticorse

ducaticorse

Addicted to ArboristSite
I clicked on his Facebook page, he has no freinds and no info on him.
Jeff :jester:

That's cuz he's a total **** bag. ALSO, notice the name of his company is "JMAC Tree Service" Notice the boom on the bucket says "Mezz Tree Service" with a totally different phone number. 100% scam.

Last edited:
Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Rope, I've got 2 big jobs out of my busch league FB page in the last 2 months. Totally worth setting one up bro.

No ####? I've been thinking about setting one up for the biz if nothing else to just grab another link to our website but didn't really think it would work out. I might just do it now though, will only take an hour or two tops, and it seems everybody is on there half their life these days. You do blogging to? I've been told that's a good idea to drive more traffic to your site as well.

ducaticorse

ducaticorse

Addicted to ArboristSite
No ####? I've been thinking about setting one up for the biz if nothing else to just grab another link to our website but didn't really think it would work out. I might just do it now though, will only take an hour or two tops, and it seems everybody is on there half their life these days. You do blogging to? I've been told that's a good idea to drive more traffic to your site as well.

Don't blog, yet. But "social media marketing" is apparently the wave of the future. The exposure is rediculous. People are way more prone to ask questions to a computer than having you come out in person. FB is a great way to break the ice with potential clients. You've got references from customers, pictures of the work and personnel, all on one page, and the kicker is that FB is a tad more interactive than a formed websight, that, AND IT'S FREE. It's a little more "real life" if that makes any sense lol.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Don't blog, yet. But "social media marketing" is apparently the wave of the future. The exposure is rediculous. People are way more prone to ask questions to a computer than having you come out in person. FB is a great way to break the ice with potential clients. You've got references from customers, pictures of the work and personnel, all on one page, and the kicker is that FB is a tad more interactive than a formed websight, that, AND IT'S FREE. It's a little more "real life" if that makes any sense lol.

Did you just say

Free now ropes can get into free lol:cheers:

TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57

Addicted to ArboristSite
LOL you forgot "all payments made in cash in advance of commencement of job"
"we'll be back to finish.We promise"

I honestly can not believe ANYBODY would pay in advance of work like that... let alone who in heck would ask up front.. ok I know some do.. but can not figure that one out.

Last edited:
TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't get to jacked up over stuff like this anymore but I will get a bit ticked if the person knowingly cuts my throat and they know me, you can't and never will get ever job you bid, there will always be the cheap bastard h/o that will hire the lowest bid regardless of their credentials, it happens in ever skilled trade there is...

I have a very low overhead (yes I'm insured) so my bid may be a lot lower than the big company that needs $2000.00 a day to make it but does that make me a "lowballer" because I can do a job for less than that big company...

Well it is somewhat anoying to go around giving quotes.. and only find out that 75% of them are given to some low ballin' scum suckin bottom feeder..

Spend evenings doing estimates.. now ArborGold does help there with the paperwork and office flow.. but is a pain in butt ..

I am looking at 2010 and frankly there are dozens and dozens of estimates that did not go any farther. Ok.. maybe I am a bit too high.. or maybe there are just too many freakin low ballers out there.. So does that make me want to become a lowballer.. not really likley..

Now there are some good customers who always call you back.. and don't even ask the price .. just need a few hundred more of them :)

Latest posts