Compression checking today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was checking compression on a couple of good running McCulloch saw and got a surprising reading. I first checked my 10-10S which runs and starts great but only registered around 100. I checked the comp. release and it seemed okay. I put the spark plug back in and it was really hard to pull the rope like it had a lot of compression so I'm perplexed. I would have thought the saw was worn out but I tried my Pro Mac 55 and it did the same thing. I checked the 55 warm and the 10-10 cold. Both saws seem to have lots of power, just wondering about the low reading. Not too long ago I used this same gauge on my 610 and it showed close to 200. Opinions please..

check to make sure the schrader valve is tight. If it is, it may be time to borrow another gauge and do a side by side comparison. Then again, maybe those saws run fine at that compression....

Uh..I found it. My stupid mistake. When I checked a 3rd and 4th saw and they all showed the same I gave the gauge a good look and found the problem in the deep well adapter I was using. The threads in it were too long and wouldn't allow the gauge hose to seat against the spark plug hole. I checked my 25 Poulan without using the adapter and it showed 150psi. As soon as this blizzard is over I may go out and check the Macs again. Thanks for your input.

Latest posts

Back