Compression release sparkplug??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey has anyone heard of a compression release spark plug? I have a friend that has an old Homelite and he is getting up there in years along with the saw, he's having trouble pulling it over. I told him I heard of them testing these plugs but I cannot find who or where they can be obtained. I suggested drilling and tapping out another head hole and just installing a husky or stihl release but he wants to not drill it if there are other options. thanks the Hoosier!

Sharpen your chain it's almost deer hunting season!!

never heard of anything like that..
im thinking he ought to try the quick start plug sold at lowes. it does fire up much faster than on ordinary plug. not sure as to its lasting properties.
its not gonna make it any easier to pull the crank ,,but will probably make it fire off first or second revolution. assuming gas is available to fire on.

Thanks for the suggestions! Has anyone had any experience with dropping in a compression release in a saw that old??? thanks the Hoosier

What kind of Homelite is this? Many of them had blanks cast into the cylinder. Sometimes other models used the same jugs with decomp valves.

Bascially, you drill a hole and tap it for the decomp you're putting in. Need to find a nice thick spot in the head.

Hey guy's thanks for the information and idea's. Sorry I didn't respond back to this post earlier. I took a long look at that Homelite and Yea I could put a husky or stihl compression release in the head above the spark plug. But the saw is only a 330 not a 550. For it's size it does have a lot of compression. Hell when I pulled it over it wanted to jump out of my hands (and I'm no shimp). After giving him the options I let him test start 5 used saws and the only one he could start was a husky 55 with compression release. I guess I'll trade him and tried to unload the homelite. He's not to excited about drilling out the head for the release on the homelite. Thanks the Hoosier

Sharpen your chain fall is here!!!!!!

Back