Compression Release

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rounder

Rounder

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm new to this deal, but I've noticed a few posts wondering about blow-by on compression releases. I'm a faller in Montana and the first thing I do with a new saw is plug the compression release with a bolt. They are worthless. They make the saw easier to pull, but you have to pull the thing 90 times to start it. Just my 2 cents, but give it a shot. Often times just pulling the top cover is enough to bump the release and create blow-by

flatpikr

flatpikr

ArboristSite Operative
I just bought my first saw that has a comp release. I believe it is suppose to be pushed in to allow decompression. Why can't I just leave it in the out position and start it that way-- If I never push it in, seems like it will do the same thing as a bolt. Why are they harder to start (more pulls) with the compression released. My 044 doen't have one and I have no problems whatsoever starting it.

Ghillie

Ghillie

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you are pulling 90 times to start it, you need to work on your saw!

There should be no blow by in a properly functioning compression release. If you accidentally bump it while the saw is running, it will automatically seal back up again.

MarylandGuy

MarylandGuy

ArboristSite Operative
I'm new to this deal, but I've noticed a few posts wondering about blow-by on compression releases. I'm a faller in Montana and the first thing I do with a new saw is plug the compression release with a bolt. They are worthless. They make the saw easier to pull, but you have to pull the thing 90 times to start it. Just my 2 cents, but give it a shot. Often times just pulling the top cover is enough to bump the release and create blow-by

Wow, my Makita 6401 has a compression release and I love it. Obviously the motor on this midsize saw isn't strong enough to warrant using the release, but I use it any way. Why not, it starts first pull after I perform the first choke pull. So I figure it will save my arm and the pull cord.

You need to tune that saw. Or check the compression at the very least.

Rounder

Rounder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Got to dissagree, when you fall for a living you notice things. If you don't run your saw much, then don't worry about it. My saw gets pulled apart every weekend, so the release does get bumped, and on stihls this does result in blow-by and the bolt is the cheapest hop-up you can get. It'll rip. Like I said, just my 2 cents. If you are not running 40 hours a week, then forget it. Enjoy your saws!-Sam

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
Got to dissagree, when you fall for a living you notice things. If you don't run your saw much, then don't worry about it. My saw gets pulled apart every weekend, so the release does get bumped, and on stihls this does result in blow-by and the bolt is the cheapest hop-up you can get. It'll rip. Like I said, just my 2 cents. If you are not running 40 hours a week, then forget it. Enjoy your saws!-Sam

I really don't understand what your getting at???? Why would it matter if you bumped the compression release when your taking your saw apart?????? It wouldn't cause blow by either. Didn't think that was a saw term??? If it leaks it could cause compression loss.

Ghillie

Ghillie

Addicted to ArboristSite

I am sorry I do not meet your standards. I only ran my saws about 200 days last year, and only 6 hours a day.

You enjoy yours!-Fred.

Rounder

Rounder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Comp Release matters when you run a saw for a living- thought this was a logger site. Guess not. My 460 leaked within a week, bolted it - fixed it. Just trying to help folks- bolt it and see the difference. Guess it wasn't worth the trouble regeristing here. As always, the best mechanics are Montana Loggers- Do it for a living or PISS OFF- Tough time to be the real deal

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
Comp Release matters when you run a saw for a living- thought this was a logger site. Guess not. My 460 leaked within a week, bolted it - fixed it. Just trying to help folks- bolt it and see the difference. Guess it wasn't worth the trouble regeristing here. As always, the best mechanics are Montana Loggers- Do it for a living or PISS OFF- Tough time to be the real deal

Whoh buddy. simmer down a bit there. just trying to get what your talking about??? blow by, bumped while taking it apart.

You obviously know everything. Don't let the door hit your ASS on the way out!!

Ghillie

Ghillie

Addicted to ArboristSite

Why not tape the throtle interlock down too. That way you won't have to waste time taking a good grip. I am sure leaving the air filter off makes the carb flow better also. Every little bit helps.

lovetheoutdoors

lovetheoutdoors

Addicted to ArboristSite
compression release is handy for some people but i could care less about it. ive yet to see a saw that i couldnt start with out it. maybe when i get older and my bones hurt a little more ill use it. :popcorn: i have found a few compression releases leaking ( blow by) but if they are properly installed and used they shouldnt have any blow by.

lovetheoutdoors

lovetheoutdoors

Addicted to ArboristSite
Go back to your day jobs and leave the work to the working poor i.e. - the real men

come on now these guys are just trying to figure what you are talking about so they can answer your question to the best they can. this site is awesome and full info. no one is here to piss you off...they just wanna give good advice.

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
My day job would make you pi$$ your pants and cry for mommy.

Go home.

ha ha LOL. Then his mommy would give him one of these.

attachment.php

Latest posts