Compression tester contact with cylinder top?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithandstef

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Strange clanking noise when I use the compression tester on my Husqvarna 257. Almost sounds and feels like the tester valve insert is making contact with the piston head top. Clank, clank, clank as I pull it over. Needless to say I stopped immediately. Doesn't look like it's any further inside than the spark plug would be. Anyone else ever experience this?

Strange clanking noise when I use the compression tester on my Husqvarna 257. Almost sounds and feels like the tester valve insert is making contact with the piston head top. Clank, clank, clank as I pull it over. Needless to say I stopped immediately. Doesn't look like it's any further inside than the spark plug would be. Anyone else ever experience this?
Compare or measure it to the spark plug depth.

Measure to confirm. What does the tip look like when you remover it? shinny from making contact?. If it don't do it with the sparkplug installed, not doing it with nothing installed, but doing it with compression tester installed, then I would expect it is the depth of the gauge is a little longer.

I was mid renovation of an old 257 that I picked up. I’m basically to the point where I don’t know what’s causing the clank noise when compression testing, but I don’t trust the tester. It certainly doesn’t make the noise any other time. The compression feels good so that good enough for me I guess.

Latest posts

Back