conclusion to advice on dropping this tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic8852

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
it's also posted at the end of the original thread
Well, I never expected the conclusion of this to happen today...Not sure whether to start a new thread or continue it here, so here goes....Got a late start this am and headed to the woods around 10 or so. Trailer hooked up, only brought the 440 and the 361 with me bc i had only planned on noodling and splitting a bunch of rounds i already had cut up. As i round the corner along the woods, i see landowners truck in the woods. Slow down, roll down the window and here a freshly mm'd(by me) 290 idling. A quick scan reveals no sign of said landowner. I'm thinking oh crap, he decided to go after it on his own and now he's squished. Hustle butt around the to the entrance of the timber, down the trail, trailer bouncing along behind me. landowner standing next to his truck. This is what i see. WP_000920.jpgWP_000921.jpg
He says, thought i'd try out the saw after you opened up the exhaust. Shallow face cut and went after it from the back side till it started to move, he backed away and several minutes later, down it came. Nasty barber, as shown, with the upper piece hung up about 6' high or so. I laughed, as long as your ok, i guess it's down. Fire up the 440, whittle away at the remainder, pulling off large chunks of split sections, threw my 4" tow strap around it, cinched it closed, truck in 4L and a little tug later it was on the ground. Finished off the last of the chair, bucked the trunk into a couple of 12-15' sections, and drug them up to my splitting site. trail is open, made some rounds, some noodles, a nice fire and split the rest of the day. looks like i'll head out in the morning and start limbing out the rest. I explained to him the options of cutting where there would be less of a chance of a chair, and all was good. Nice ash tree, at least it used to be.
256793d1349995010-wp_000920-jpg

256794d1349995019-wp_000921-jpg

Kinda what i was thinking. I was like, this one could've waited till we had more hands, a bigger saw, etc....I guess he was antsy to try out his mm'd saw. on this tree. today. With 30 mph gusts going. He's a great guy, builds houses for a living, does some real nice craftsmanship with wood, etc, but he knows only one way to cut down a tree, and thats cut a face and go after the back. I'm sure glad he didn't get hurt, i would've felt horrible. I will say, that's some heavy a## wood. Splits pretty decent too. I'll try and get some more pics of the mess of it all tomorrow.

Back