Confess your pickup glass mistakes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a headache rack and sideboards to help keep the wood in its proper place, but I get noticeably better gas mileage without it, so I only use it occasionally. I don't know if you averaged out the gas savings if it would be worth the cost of glass. Probably a wash.

The last two windows I bought, one was $125, and the next one was $45, so maybe they took pity on me.

Dan

I have a headache rack and sideboards to help keep the wood in its proper place, but I get noticeably better gas mileage without it, so I only use it occasionally. I don't know if you averaged out the gas savings if it would be worth the cost of glass. Probably a wash.

The last two windows I bought, one was $125, and the next one was $45, so maybe they took pity on me.

Dan

That's the beauty of having a truck that does very little other than haul wood. It takes what it takes to get the job done. I just feed the pig when it gets low, I don't think about mileage at all. Besides, my trips are usually 5 miles or less, often just out to the back 40, not gonna win any hypermileage contests that way anyhow.

One trip home at 10° with no back window creates value you can't measure with a wallet.

My buddy and I were loading my splitter in the back of my Canyon (5ft bed :( ) and he was strapping it down. Ratcheting furiously and then the splitter wheels hopped up out of the space between the tailgate and bed. The tongue tapped the glass, which instantly shattered but did not come apart! I duct taped that window in place (both sides!) :laugh: and drove it home. (About 45 minutes by highway) Of course this was the weekend Sandy hit here so that Monday AM I'm in safelite gettin the back glass replaced. Worked out good, had a window in place before the hurricane hit!

I have a cap on the pickup, and the shocks holding the rear hatch (which was all glass) were weak so I was having to prop it up to get inside and one day I had some shingles hanging out the back and left it propped up with a stick, went over a speed bump and took out the glass. Had to get a newer used cap as the glass on the one I had was so expensive. Live and learn, the shocks would have cost about twenty bucks or so.

Also, one time, my old neighbor was "edging" his sidewalk with the weedeater and broke the drivers glass on my old pickup then he came over and asked if my window was already broken needless to say he wound up paying for it.

Nissan Hardbody, was bringing loads of wood over to my sisters. To lazy to stack them into the back of the truck so was just tossing them. Yeah you all know what happened. Luckily it was summer time. Come winter that truck went to live at my buddies farm as his field truck. Wasn't worth putting a rear window into the old girl. Her frame and body were rotten to the core but that engine just wouldn't die.

I My wife and I were moving wood from one part of the property to the other and she bonked the window on my supercrew, it did not break. I said a few words to her about being careful and watching what the heck she was doing. We were just done and she went in the house, I p icked up a little 1" dia piece and pitched it in the bed and yup.... I could hear the glass melting out of the window. I said some big time swear words after that.... I was Johnny on the spot though, I put the truck in the back and quickly got another from the salvage yard, had it installed the next day and TA DA!! I got away with it.... for a while, till one day my wife says " I never noticed that sticker on the back window before, what is up with that"? There was one from the previous truck that I did not remove, I thought for a second, considering my answer carefully, then told her the truth.

ha6ajuqy.jpg

You can see the borrowed truck in the background. If you zoom, you can also see the homemade headache rack I built to protect the truck glass from me. Had the truck full to the brim, actually added some plywood sides to really load it (its a diesel ram 3500), then tossed some branch wood on top. Well, it was a little wet, the toss was perfect, skipped on an upslopping piece, and hit the rack just inside the farthest right edge. Ripped through the rack and caught the edge of the glass where it meets the body and BOOM! Stuff really shatters. Took a few hours with the shop vac to get the bits and pieces. Bummer is - not my truck, wood was cleared from a neighbor, and all the material was donated. See the attached link for more...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=180994

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

You guys about got me convinced to go to a solid steel dump bed and no rear glass worries...

Wasnt a truck, but I had the grass pickup tube bungied up mowing out of the way (wasnt bagging that day and it plugs if you arent) and it grabbed a rock or stick or something and slung it 40 yards or so and took out a window at my boss s house about 15 feet up! I didnt even know it happened until he called me up and said someone had shot out his window!! I went back over and figured out it was me did it....hmmm..not fun but I went ahead and admitted it was proly me did it...

I think the most I ever paid was 30 bucks for back glass at salvage yard. 5 minutes two people some cord and in they go. Do enough of them and it's pretty easy.

I loaded a yamaha atv in the back of a isuzu swb at 4 am during deer season years ago and forgot about winch hook and pushed back sliding glass out into seat and it did not break. an hour later with help of wd-40 and a rope and maybe a tire tool or something i was on the roll lucky day i guess

In 2008 a coyote took off runnin' some 250 yards out thru the brush. As I was rollin' slow along a dirt path in the desert scouting a place to call from, I thought that I'd take a shot at him. Since he was already covering ground fast I poked the 6mm rifle out the truck window and shot at him from the driver's seat once I got stopped. The muzzle blast from the rifle blew out the glass in the driver's side mirror. :censored:

I had demo lumber to load in the back, and although I used some scrap plywood to protect the glass,a piece of 2x4 managed to bang the plywood hard enough into the glass causing it to break.It's been about a year and still haven't replaced the glass yet.It is a bit drafty but I don't get too cold,and the cat likes to climb in thru there and take naps in the cab.

I bounced a log off my back window this summer.. About 3 weeks later the Back-Rack went on.. Knock on Wood I haven't had many major rear window accidents yet!

I had a sliding rear window and locked the keys in the truck. I saw a friend of mine hit the center of his sliding rear window once and it popped the lock open. My karate chop just broke the glass! Oh well, I got it and now I have a single piece of rear window glass which is easier to see out of. Live and learn.

I had a sliding rear window and locked the keys in the truck. I saw a friend of mine hit the center of his sliding rear window once and it popped the lock open. My karate chop just broke the glass! Oh well, I got it and now I have a single piece of rear window glass which is easier to see out of. Live and learn.

Welcome fellow Cheesehead!

Latest posts

Back