conflicting information on skip-tooth chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
the funny thing about my 346 is that i pulled it our of the trash at a former employer of mine. Someone ran it with straight gas in it, no mix. All i've done to it is put a new piston in it, hone the cylinder, mod the muffler, and install a 3/8 sprocket. It has to run skip chain or it will not cut, it just bogs with full comp chain. I don't understand why everyone thinks its near impossible to run a 28" bar on this saw... its all in the chain.

Didn't say it was impossible. I just wouldnt do it. I'd much rather haul up the 372. 346 wasn't designed to run a 28" bar. Awful lot of load on the crank and clutch.

Taxmantoo

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
. AS Supporting Member.
I touched up the chain on a WildThing not long ago and it had skip on it, 3/8 LP, skip and all kinds of safety bumpers on it. It was most unimpressive, but if you put a real chain on that thing there is no way it would pull 18", but box stores try to trick dumb homeowners into thinking an 18" saw is a "big" saw.

Yep, same reason my Ryobi came with skip, it's the only way to pull an 18" bar with a 40cc saw.

Mitch.

UrbanLogger

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
so if a 345 pulls an 18 inch bar just fine, than why is it so hard on a 346xp to pull a 28 inch bar with half the teeth on it, that should be easier on the saw...according to my math that would be like running about a 14 inch bar on a 346...maybe i'm just crazy...i dont know

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
so if a 345 pulls an 18 inch bar just fine, than why is it so hard on a 346xp to pull a 28 inch bar with half the teeth on it, that should be easier on the saw...according to my math that would be like running about a 14 inch bar on a 346...maybe i'm just crazy...i dont know

I don't know but I think there is more to it then that. First off, I'm running .325 chain, your running 3/8" chain, there is a huge difference there. If I can bog a ported 371 running skip on a 28", then a 346??? Anyway, I'm not telling you what to do. I just wouldn't do it.

LittleFella

LittleFella

ArboristSite Lurker
I run a 28" with a full set of cutters on my 064. Love the way it cuts. I have a 24" with a skip chain on a Jonsereds, it cuts good but not nearly as fast. Of course it doesn't have the chain speed that the 064 has either. I saw if you have the power to pull it, run a full set. But thats just my preference.

:cheers:

Plasmech

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
I run a 28" with a full set of cutters on my 064. Love the way it cuts. I have a 24" with a skip chain on a Jonsereds, it cuts good but not nearly as fast. Of course it doesn't have the chain speed that the 064 has either. I saw if you have the power to pull it, run a full set. But thats just my preference.

:cheers:

OK so looks like the concensus is that skip-tooth chain with a given saw on a given bar length requires MORE power to pull and of course cuts faster. It will NOT allow a smaller saw to run a longer bar in a "low gear" manner so to speak.

Should we take a final vote? :monkey:

rngrchad

rngrchad

Addicted to ArboristSite
OK so looks like the concensus is that skip-tooth chain with a given saw on a given bar length requires MORE power to pull and of course cuts faster. It will NOT allow a smaller saw to run a longer bar in a "low gear" manner so to speak.

Should we take a final vote? :monkey:

NO skip does not require MORE power. It requires LESS. It is what will allow my 372 to run a 32" bar in hardwood.

Latest posts