Conifer pruning/cleanup advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willmpls

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a property with three very close together spruce (not pine - thanks Raintree) trees that haven't been well maintained.

Here's how things currently look, from 3 different angles:

View attachment 297417
View attachment 297418
View attachment 297419
View attachment 297420

I'm currently thinking that I should prune the lower branches and go with new edging/mulch around the entire mess, but am not sure how high up to go with the pruning, and also whether or not that is the best approach.

At this point I'm just trying to figure out options so curious if any of the experts here have an opinion. Thanks!

Will

Last edited:
Spruce trees not Pines, I would elevate the skirts to 4-5ft (measured from branch tips to ground not trunk). As the trees increase in height more can be taken, at some point you'll need head clearance over the sidewalk. In some of the neighborhoods we do work I would want to open these type of groves up for safety, too many bad guys lurking.

Spruce trees not Pines, I would elevate the skirts to 4-5ft (measured from branch tips to ground not trunk). As the trees increase in height more can be taken, at some point you'll need head clearance over the sidewalk. In some of the neighborhoods we do work I would want to open these type of groves up for safety, too many bad guys lurking.

Thanks for the info. I'll likely have a professional come out and take a peek but wanted to better understand the situation first, so that's helpful to know. The only professional type I've had take a look basically said to "cut them down", and I haven't had anyone else come out since.

I would just raise them enough to get them off the ground maybe a foot. Taking higher won't hurt them, but would remove from the whole ambiance of the grove. I would love to work those trees. Don't many people understand pruning these type of trees. Its really easy to over prune and make them look like weeds. Some say they don't need pruning at all.
If done correctly, lightly pruning to enhance whats already there, would make them neater. Sometimes just cleaning out all the dead and maybe a few cuts with hand pruners will bring them in perfect.
Raising them higher is more for utilization. Guess it depends on what your after. Mulching is always good.

Colorado spruce are probably the tree I've seen planted in the wrong place the most of all species. Everyone loves them, myself included, but they are one of the few trees whose natural form reaches all the way to the ground. Actually, as I think about it, they're one of the few trees where you can't see the trunk on a good specimen. At full maturity, those trees will be 80-90' tall, with a spread at the base of 40-60', so you can see their location is less than ideal.
Personally, I hate the way a spruce looks with her hemline raised. That beutiful gown is hiding some skinny little chicken legs under there, if you know what I mean. I am definitely in the prune as little as possible camp when it comes to spruce. After landscaping and doing tree work in the Denver area for twenty years, I have seen these guys pruned every possible way, and haven't liked any of them. If it was me I would just end prune the bare minimum to keep the sidewalk clear and deadwood.
Unforunately as well, you have three trees where one should be, and the best specimen is in the worst position. If it was my property I would remove the back two and have the front tree spaded further back into that area if the utility locations permit it, but that may be more than you want to invest. But do keep in mind that tree is an investment, and in the right location will enhance your property for decades.
Just my .02, Jeff

Colorado spruce are probably the tree I've seen planted in the wrong place the most of all species. Everyone loves them, myself included, but they are one of the few trees whose natural form reaches all the way to the ground. Actually, as I think about it, they're one of the few trees where you can't see the trunk on a good specimen. At full maturity, those trees will be 80-90' tall, with a spread at the base of 40-60', so you can see their location is less than ideal.
Personally, I hate the way a spruce looks with her hemline raised. That beutiful gown is hiding some skinny little chicken legs under there, if you know what I mean. I am definitely in the prune as little as possible camp when it comes to spruce. After landscaping and doing tree work in the Denver area for twenty years, I have seen these guys pruned every possible way, and haven't liked any of them. If it was me I would just end prune the bare minimum to keep the sidewalk clear and deadwood.
Unforunately as well, you have three trees where one should be, and the best specimen is in the worst position. If it was my property I would remove the back two and have the front tree spaded further back into that area if the utility locations permit it, but that may be more than you want to invest. But do keep in mind that tree is an investment, and in the right location will enhance your property for decades.
Just my .02, Jeff

Thanks for the input. I do like the idea of keeping just the front tree and moving it back but I'm not sure if it'll be worth the money for my situation. It's a good (and the best) option though.

As for pruning it's looking like I'll probably just remove dead branches and possibly go up a little but not much as has been mentioned.

It'll come down to either keeping/moving the nice tree or whatever the second best option is to make things look good while leaving all three trees in place but doing some cleanup and adding some mulch etc..

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back