construction near tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christa

Reaction score
Hello- my first post here. We bought a lot and there is a big tree on it-I think a maple. Its about 30 inches in diameter and the canopy has a 25ft radius. We are wondering it will survive if we put a garage 8 feet from the base of the tree. We are willing to move or adjust the layout of the house to keep the tree but there is only one spot for the garage because of the odd shape of the lot. I don't want to move the house to accommodate the tree only to have it die because of the garage. i included a site plan and a picture of the tree. Any advice??

Attachments

• McKindles Site Study 032817.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9220.JPG
    IMG_9220.JPG
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 38
There is going to be alot of root damage that close to the tree, it's unlikely that you can mitigate that by moving everything just a few feet. I would say anything within that 25ft dripline can cause significant harm.
Best bet is to have a local arborist come by and see it first hand. Try www.isa-arbor.com to find one near you.

There is going to be alot of root damage that close to the tree, it's unlikely that you can mitigate that by moving everything just a few feet. I would say anything within that 25ft dripline can cause significant harm.
Best bet is to have a local arborist come by and see it first hand. Try www.isa-arbor.com to find one near you.
Thank you for that link- I was having a hard time finding an arborist near me!

Hey Christa, that's quite a first post. I really like the thought you have put into the usage of your site. The covered porch to the north, and the pool, patio area to the south is excellent. I would normally vote for keeping a nice big healthy tree. I appreciate the benefits they provide for any home. In your case, it would be a shame to shift everything over, and infringe on that southern exposure. That area could easily be the most used part of your new home, and you want to maximize that space. If you have the tree removed now, it will be very inexpensive. If it has to be removed after you build, it will be very expensive. Have the tree removed now. Build your home in the ideal spot. Then, as part of the landscaping, plant a nice big tree about twenty feet north of the existing one. Good luck with your new home.

The pictures show a decent,, maple? trunk but i cant see much above so before you go spending time effort $$ building around it have tree checked for structure health and form to ensure its safe useful life span is worthy of input now.
Assuming its good for 20 - 30 years then
Impact estimate 30% of SRZ structural root zone and 5 % of CRZ critical root zone so its on edge of poor outcome... Much depends now upon foundation construction methods and root harm mitigation & then after best surface treatment to protect from future compaction as much surface area as possible. If you can do some basic root mapping and then seek to best lessen site excavation i feel the tree coexistence and home build achievable..

this story is much like yours
http://www.barrelltreecare.co.uk/case-studies/BuildingsNearTrees.pdf

Hey Christa, that's quite a first post. I really like the thought you have put into the usage of your site. The covered porch to the north, and the pool, patio area to the south is excellent. I would normally vote for keeping a nice big healthy tree. I appreciate the benefits they provide for any home. In your case, it would be a shame to shift everything over, and infringe on that southern exposure. That area could easily be the most used part of your new home, and you want to maximize that space. If you have the tree removed now, it will be very inexpensive. If it has to be removed after you build, it will be very expensive. Have the tree removed now. Build your home in the ideal spot. Then, as part of the landscaping, plant a nice big tree about twenty feet north of the existing one. Good luck with your new home.
Yes you are exactly right- we will lose a good amount of the backyard if we plan around the tree. Thank you for your opinion!

I would seriously consider removing the tree and put the garage where you want it and plant a new tree where it would be a better fit for the lot.
Trees grow pretty fast and are cheap to plant. Much more expensive to try and deal with the existing tree then replace it.

Back