Contractors Lic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limbknuckle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ive Been Doing Trees Quite A Few Years, Worked For Other Guys,worked For Myself. I Have Asked Some People How To Aquire A Lic. And Get Varied Answers. Some Opinions May Come From Fear Of Competition I Dont Know. Some I Have Seen Get A Lic. But They Have Not Worked For Others Or Extended Periods Of Time Where They Could Prove Certification Of Experience. Is There A Way For A Serious Hardworking Family Man To Achieve This Status In Lets Say A Different Way. All Comments Greatly Appereciated.

Ive Been Doing Trees Quite A Few Years, Worked For Other Guys,worked For Myself. I Have Asked Some People How To Aquire A Lic. And Get Varied Answers. Some Opinions May Come From Fear Of Competition I Dont Know. Some I Have Seen Get A Lic. But They Have Not Worked For Others Or Extended Periods Of Time Where They Could Prove Certification Of Experience. Is There A Way For A Serious Hardworking Family Man To Achieve This Status In Lets Say A Different Way. All Comments Greatly Appereciated.

You are the second person whose posts I've seen in a couple of days written so that every word starts with capital letters.

Why is that?

Anyhow, in Oregon, you could get a license with the Oregon Contractors Board with no experience, as long as you had a bond and insurance, and took a short test. It's not much of a test, and a one-day seminar or booklet may give you what you need for it. It's probably more of a business practices and procedures type test.

There is no industry knowledge test associated with the contractors license in Oregon. Of course, Electricians and Plumbers would have to cover their credentials from another angle.

Welcome.

1. What state are you in?
2. Have you gone to your state web page? (can google it)

Each state seems have there own rules and regs.

Canyon

Each state has different requirements I would imagine. In Calif your years of experience can be verified through people you,ve work for or with through affidavits. I was in business part time for my self several years ago, advertising in local news papers, I was teaching my wife to bid and things were going vary well, I went out to give a bid one morning and got arrested in a contractor's sting. I was'nt aware I needed one for trees in Calif. It was vary embarrassing to say the least. I could no longer advertise as I was and it pretty much put me out of business. Calif. has no lic. just for trees but there is a landscape lic. and anther that's a general for things that don't have a specific lic. There are many schools that will help you get what you need(check the yellow pages). Not all are 100% honest in my opinion,teaching the test, but check em out.

Each state has different requirements I would imagine. In Calif your years of experience can be verified through people you,ve work for or with through affidavits. I was in business part time for my self several years ago, advertising in local news papers, I was teaching my wife to bid and things were going vary well, I went out to give a bid one morning and got arrested in a contractor's sting. I was'nt aware I needed one for trees in Calif. It was vary embarrassing to say the least. I could no longer advertise as I was and it pretty much put me out of business. Calif. has no lic. just for trees but there is a landscape lic. and anther that's a general for things that don't have a specific lic. There are many schools that will help you get what you need(check the yellow pages). Not all are 100% honest in my opinion,teaching the test, but check em out.

I dont no about the past...but there is a license for trees now...its under C-61 Specialized trade, then is D 49...you only take the law part of the test. California has not yet "invented" a test to judge your knowledge of tree care.

Canyon

When you were arrrested any jail time or just fines?

I dont no about the past...but there is a license for trees now...its under C-61 Specialized trade, then is D 49...you only take the law part of the test. California has not yet "invented" a test to judge your knowledge of tree care.

Canyon

When you were arrrested any jail time or just fines?

No I got lucky. They had a booking room in the house, where I was processed. I only bided the job 180.00 dollars, which was below the amount that requires a lic. I got a citation and had to go to court several times before It was dropped. My name along with several hundred others was put in the paper as un lic. contractor. If I remember correctly the C-61 was just a general and had no spacific tree questions. Yes you need the C-61 to do trees but it does'nt have any tree knowledge (to bad) I was enrolled in a contractors school at the time of my arrest, I remember the question,"who need a calif contractors lic.", the answer," anyone who ,builds, moves ,changes, or adds on to a structure. Is a tree a structure?

No I got lucky. They had a booking room in the house, where I was processed. I only bided the job 180.00 dollars, which was below the amount that requires a lic. I got a citation and had to go to court several times before It was dropped. My name along with several hundred others was put in the paper as un lic. contractor. If I remember correctly the C-61 was just a general and had no spacific tree questions. Yes you need the C-61 to do trees but it does'nt have any tree knowledge (to bad) I was enrolled in a contractors school at the time of my arrest, I remember the question,"who need a calif contractors lic.", the answer," anyone who ,builds, moves ,changes, or adds on to a structure. Is a tree a structure?

Man that sucks.

How long ago was it?

Have they changed the law, because now when you read the California States page...it says anyone can work as a contractor if the total job is under $ 500...something along those lines.

I dont no if i agree (atleast for trees)...that if you have been in the trade for 4 years...you are qualifed for the test.

Once your 23, all you need is to get a few people to vouch and your good to go...i see to many "licensed" contractors advertise things like topping (not in line clearance but residential)

That makes me mad.

But i guess that is the way things go.

Back