Convert a MS250 Easy2Start-from-hell to plain ol' recoil starter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylemorley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Did somebody here successfully convert a Easy2Start MS250 to a plain old MS250C? I recall reading a post about it here but haven't been able to find it.

My MS250-from-hell continues to foil all my efforts to fix the E2S starter. Latest being the axle pin in the recoil housing backing out, letting the spring loose and destroying the threads in the $80 fan housing. This makes the forth time it has self destructed despite careful assembly and numerous new parts.

So I am considering replacing the E2S starter with a plain jane recoil starter using Chinese parts unless I can come up with some used parts here, just so I will be able to sell the saw as a running machine. I wouldn't dare sell it in its current E2S form, since I'd have to live in terror of an angry phone call from the buyer.

It appears to me that all that will be needed is a flywheel and a complete fan cover/recoil assembly, both which I can get from eBay very cheaply.

Oh, I would happily pay Stihl the $80 to replace the cover and entire recoil assembly with the stock parts if I thought it would be a lasting fix, but given my saws history It seems unlikely.

I cannot offer advice because I've never tried it. I have, however, sold a great many ez to starts and not seen all the issues you have. The listed parts that are different between the models are the actual engine housing, coil, and flywheel. Are they different enough that it stops you from using a regular recoil? I don't know. If you are dead set on selling the saw I would pony up the money for the complete assembly and replace it. Show the customer how to slowly pull the recoil and allow the springs to do the work. If this starting procedure is followed, they will last a long time.

I got a 250ez start aswell. However that part on my saw is working just fine. I want to change the tooless chain adjuster to a standard one.

No issues with my ez start but i havent had the saw very long.

I got a 250ez start aswell. However that part on my saw is working just fine. I want to change the tooless chain adjuster to a standard one.

No issues with my ez start but i havent had the saw very long.

This is not so simple as the main case is different

Those prices are rather optimistic unless you take a couple years to accumulate the parts and luck up on bargains.

Did somebody here successfully convert a Easy2Start MS250 to a plain old MS250C?
Did you succeed?

I'm currently having great difficulties with a EasyStart MS 250 myself. It's hardly used and have been sitting for several years. The easy start broke when it's owner (my dad) was a little careless with it during cold weather. After having replaced several parts the starter axle itself actually broke. And I can't get it loose so I have to buy the housing and also a new axle. I'm getting so sick and tired of this stupid saw.

EDIT EDIT: Not too sure about the different MS 250 saws, but the saw giving me problems has indeed the following starter:

1647400373022.png

I have disabled many of these miserable starters. Not sure what the EZ-start spring looks like on your saw but from the parts diagram it looks like it should be a flat coiled spring inside a plastic housing, with these I just pot the whole spring and enclosure together with a good grade of epoxy. Turn it into a solid lump, permanent and cheap fix. Some others have a vertical coil spring and just have to have a couple of weld beads run across the coil to stop it from being a spring.

The housing is made of metall. I guess I could try to MIG weld the spring to the bottom, but the spring material is so thin I'm afraid it's just going to melt:

1647436675004.png
Epoxy sounds like a better idea .. Just fill it up and never worry about it again .. :D

Back