Convert stihl ms290 to ms390 or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-Cigar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I blew up my ms290 and need a rebuild kit. People are saying make it a 390 with a slightly bigger kit that will fit. Are there any drawbacks of getting the 49mm kit as opposed to the 46mm kit. Do I need any additional parts? Ps. My mechanic is doing it.
Thanks20210728_094835.jpg

I have done it several times with with no additional parts, assuming you do not need a decomp valve for the big bore. Most guys can get along without it and just plug the decomp cylinder port. One time I drilled a 1" da. hole in the 290 shroud for access to the decomp valve.
What he said.

I have found absolutely no disadvantages of converting the 290 to a 390. I've done it several times and if I owned the 290 I wouldn't hesitate to convert it when it needed a top end. One thing I would recommend is the heat shield that the 390 saw uses between the muffler and the cylinder and the 290 does not. I always put them in my conversions...

Attachments

• 039-1.JPG
    039-1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
I was just curious if anybody has used them with any real world use and if they actually drop temps. Like taken cylinder and muffler temps before and after install.

I just finished a MS290 rebuild to stock. No deflector there of course although I could tear the loud box off and slip one on there.

Thank you.

Attachments

• MS290 finished 6.jpg
    MS290 finished 6.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 7
I stripped the spark plug thread on my 290 so I put the 390 too end on it. It is still running in but is going well so far. I just plugged the decomp hole and it’s easy enough to start. I probably should have looked around for a genuine top end but didn’t have a lot of time so I threw a Chinese one on and I’m reasonably happy with it. I did make sure that I used the original piston pin circlips in it though, hoping that it stays together.

I stripped the spark plug thread on my 290 so I put the 390 too end on it. It is still running in but is going well so far. I just plugged the decomp hole and it’s easy enough to start. I probably should have looked around for a genuine top end but didn’t have a lot of time so I threw a Chinese one on and I’m reasonably happy with it. I did make sure that I used the original piston pin circlips in it though, hoping that it stays together.
I never put the Stihl circlips in a aftermarket piston, tried it once and it didn't seem like it fit too well so I stuck to the aftermarket clips. Seemed that the groove was made a little different than the Stihl one was. Maybe if I'd used a different vendor it might be okay.

Back