Cooking on your wood stove - pre EPA, EPA non-catalytic, EPA catalytic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfnh

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Lot of good threads on wood stove cooking and plenty of threads on the EPA versus pre EPA stoves for heating (burn times, wood consumption, etc).

Interested in hearing about experience with cooking on the EPA stoves to get a feeling how it compares to cooking on the older pre EPA stoves.
Cooking meaning to use stove top surface; what gets cooked, how long it takes and how often you do it. If the stove is practical for cooking certains things that useful information as well. If the stove is main heat source as well, say so.

Here's a starter: 70's Chappee wood/coal non-epa, cooks 85% of meals October-May.
Perked or camp 8 cup coffee in 20 min from well water start temp.
Boiled red potatoes qt pan in 40 mintues from well water.
5 gallon canning pot 1 hr from well water to rolling boil, then 40 mintues for 8 quart apple sauce hot pack canning.

Look forward to hearing what works for others.

Sadly I dont do any other than boiling a cast iron kettle 24/7 to keep moisture in the room..
Was just talking to her indoors a week ago about getting a ned large one to we make better use of the water...
Hopefully this thread inspires me to do more:msp_thumbup:

My stove has very little space on top due to the convection deck, with the two fans blowing between the top of the stove and the convection deck. Works great for heating but leave only room enough for a small pan. Thought about making the deck removable. If I didn't get the Blaze King Ultra I wouldn't have had the convection deck, for good or bad. Will have to try coffee on it when it ever gets cold enough to run the stove hot again. Oh by the way it's EPA cat stove

if im home and its cold out ive got somethin on there. my favorite is a nice all day beef or pork roast with an onion, carrots, and potatoes. not much of a breakfast fan and lunch is usually on the run but i cook alot of supper meals on that baby. stews or soups and chili are always a favorite as well.

i make a motion to include recipes in here too if thats acceptable by the OP? Any one else in favor?

I soaked two bags of seven bean soup beans over night and been simmering a huge ham bone in the cast dutch oven on the stove since I got up this am. All the meat is off the ham bone now and there's some leftover sausage and chicken breast all cut up to go in the pot to.

Gonna add the meat and beans here in a few minutes and let it cook on the stove top all day for supper. One hour before supper I'll stir up two boxes of corn muffin mix, stick of melted butter and one can sweet corn and one can cream corn in a bowl, pour it into a greased 9"/9" pan and bake it on the stove top -corn bread casserole and bean soup on any wood stove top is fantastic. Try to have the stove top above 350* for the corn casserole.

You don't have to be a "cook" to make this and everyone will line up for seconds.

I melted snow during a power outage. Does that count? It took a long time on my beyond the EPA stove (our state went a step beyond their regs--don't move here) and left a rust mark. During power outages, if I need to cook, I'll fire up one of my white gas stoves. They work fast and I have a nice, covered porch to set them up on. I might use the woodstove to keep things warm.

if im home and its cold out ive got somethin on there. my favorite is a nice all day beef or pork roast with an onion, carrots, and potatoes. not much of a breakfast fan and lunch is usually on the run but i cook alot of supper meals on that baby. stews or soups and chili are always a favorite as well.

i make a motion to include recipes in here too if thats acceptable by the OP? Any one else in favor?

Recipes - sure thing. Post em up. Pic's welcome.

trophyhunter's got a good one in here already. what kind of stove ?

I melted snow during a power outage. Does that count? It took a long time on my beyond the EPA stove (our state went a step beyond their regs--don't move here) and left a rust mark. During power outages, if I need to cook, I'll fire up one of my white gas stoves. They work fast and I have a nice, covered porch to set them up on. I might use the woodstove to keep things warm.

Got a laugh on the snow melt. Brought back some funny memories.
The gas - wood stove combination, it gets things going quick. so post away.

Baking a pie, haven't tried that on the wood stove, but I'm interested in hearing about it.

Got a laugh on the snow melt. Brought back some funny memories.
The gas - wood stove combination, it gets things going quick. so post away.

Baking a pie, haven't tried that on the wood stove, but I'm interested in hearing about it.

I have a little camp oven. It is made by Coleman and you set it up on top of a heat source. The trouble is, it would have to be a small pie. I tried it out last summer and baked chicken thighs. It took a long time and they were pretty dry. I'm thinking a Dutch Oven would work much better. In fact, you could stick it inside the coals of your woodstove.

I have a little camp oven. It is made by Coleman and you set it up on top of a heat source. The trouble is, it would have to be a small pie. I tried it out last summer and baked chicken thighs. It took a long time and they were pretty dry. I'm thinking a Dutch Oven would work much better. In fact, you could stick it inside the coals of your woodstove.

dutch ovens work great in coals but not so good on a wood stove top. with the legs they don't absorb enuf heat. chop the legs off an old or cheap one and now your cookin. i make biscuits and bake corn bread all the time on mine. ive made lotsa jerky on there too.

We have an old "oak stove" Single burner on top. If we are around during the day, many soups & stews cooked in cast iron. All day cooking is soooooo good! My wife's mother has an old 6 burner Glenwood in her kitchen. She always (Oct-May) has something on the cooktop or in the oven. It is such a great way to cook. Both were made WAY prior to EPA. Funny thing is, both burn very hot, and dont produce much visible smoke ever. Anyway, cook times are only by feel or taste. Always depends on how hot the fire is. It is nice to cook "off grid" and not pay the propane or electric companies for every meal. I dont think we will ever not cook this way.View attachment 267765

Thats a nice set up there.

I like the chili, and the pulled pork on the stove. I used to love throwing in a chunk of pork or beef on the stove before work. Come home to a tender meaty delight. I miss that part with the new furnace. Actually thinking of getting a small stove next year for this, and fire tv.

I always have a cast iron kettle on the stove for steam.
The water boils regularly so I would imagine I could cook on it.
I might try that when the power goes out again.

I can remember growing up with my dad cooking in a dutch oven in the fireplace, and my mom turning the biscuits in her wood cook stove oven so they would not burn.
She still uses her wood cook stove to this day.
I hated spiltting the wood so small when I was growing up, but now I love doing it for her.
Especially after I am done, me and my grandson eat hot biscuits and butter with strawberry jam.

:)

got a beef chuck roast with carrots and taders on the old stove today. no family around my area so christmas is always spent alone with a good home cooked meal (usually roast as its my favorite). tis a good day for cooking since the high is only -5F

got a beef chuck roast with carrots and taders on the old stove today. no family around my area so christmas is always spent alone with a good home cooked meal (usually roast as its my favorite). tis a good day for cooking since the high is only -5F

Reminds me off alone in the wilderness....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Cooked up a chuck roast on my EPA stove today. I seasoned it and then seared it on the electric stove. Once that was done I put it in the dutch oven, added an onion and more seasoning and then filled with water and set it on the woodstove. Hour and a half later I had a really tasty melt in your mouth roast for lunch with mashed taters and gravy.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back