Copperhead Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddhlakebound

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Found her (?) on the road closer to my house and neighbors than I'd prefer, so I took the liberty of using her for a short photo shoot then released her along a rocky creek farther away.

Still waiting to find a rattler. I've seen a pic of a big timber rattler found a ways northeast years back, and heard of a small population of pygmy rattlers a ways southeast. But no luck getting my hands on one so far....

Great shots. You are brave to show those fangs. After watching Venom ER, I wouldn't mess with any poisonous snake.

Last edited:
Wow Man!
I must say u r braver than myself. if i was there i would be running like a little girl...lol i hate snakes and ya i have watched that Venom ER. I am so glad we have very, very few poisonous snakes around here. i have lived here all my life & never seen any although some report seeing them a bit further south from where i live.

cool pics!

Great pics!

I live in the same region as you (West Plains, Mo) and I haven't seen a rattler or a copperhead in over 25 years. I spend a lot of time outdoors. Good on you for not killing it because I think they are getting few and far between around here.

Edit: I could have sworn your profile said south central. My bad.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I've seen quite a few episodes of venom er, and I don't deny that handling poisonous snakes brings a fairly elevated amount of risk, but I'm comfortable and very cautious. Gotta stay out of strike range, and keep that head 100% controlled when handling.

Also, copperhead venom is significantly less toxic than the mojave and southern pacific and sidewinders usually dealt with on the show. To my knowledge, there has never been a fatal copperhead bite in a human in Missouri. Plenty of very painful ones tho....

This one didn't feel it needed to be relocated, and it was pretty aggressive when I first attempted to catch it. It was striking at my fiberglass pole, and jumping around (literally getting 95% of its body airborne).

Here's a fang/venom close up.

attachment.php

ddh, If you want to see a timber rattler and possibly a pygmy in your area, go about 25 miles southeast of Springfield to the town of Chadwick. This time of year on cool nights the snakes like to lay on the warm black top of H highway. Chadwick proclaims the title of the "Copperhead Capitol of the World" so you should see a few copperheads too.

MO-Iron

Last edited:
ddh, If you want to see a timber rattler and possibly a pygmy in your area, go about 25 miles southeast of Springfield to the town of Chadwick. This time of year on cool nights the snakes like to lay on the warm black top of H highway. Chadwick proclaims the title of the "Copperhead Capitol of the World" so you should see a few copperheads too.

MO-Iron

Thanks MO-Iron, Chadwick was exactly where I was referring to when I mentioned the pygmy's. I didn't know that the timber rattlers hung out down there too. The only pygmy I've seen up close was caught in the Chadwick public use area by a buddy of mine.

I have seen two live snakes in my whole life. Seeing as they were both in Canada, they were certainly garter snakes or some similarly non-venomous variety. In both instances I screamed like a little girl jumped back and trembled. Mighta wet even wet myself a bit. So you could say I hate snakes. I don't know how I would live in a warmer climate.

LOL, yeah, no matter what kind of snake it is, if you're really close before you notice they'll make you jump right out of your skin.

The first copperhead I ever caught was trying to sneak up on me while I was sitting on the rock bank on the lake. I looked over, and he was about 4 feet away coming my way. I jumped pretty high, but I was already goin for a stick when my feet came down. I didn't have anything to put him in, so I scavenged a gallon jug from the lake bank (damn litterers, i always try to take out more than i brought in). So I attempt to stuff the copperhead in the jug head first. He didn't like that plan, and as soon as his tail was going in the jug, his head was coming back out. So I had to catch him again, and have another go at it. Got it right the second time, but the whole while my fishin buddy was 20 yards away yellin "ddh, you dumbass, you're gonna get bit, and you're gonna die, you're flippin crazy you idiot, you got a death wish, and it's gonna be granted." He doesn't care much for snakes, much less poisonous ones sharing our fishing bank.

In retrospect, I'd let the snake go next time before trying to use a gallon jug to hold it in again...too much danger in the process.

Was fishing there another time with a different buddy when a copperhead tried to sneak up on Dave. The snake got within a foot or two before he noticed it, but when he did, he was gone like a slug from a muzzleloader, smoke cloud and all. I seriously doubt I'll ever see anyone move that fast again on multi-level shelf rock. Or leave smoke behind from sneakers on stone.

We caugt a baby in the creek around here. Only about 5" long. Also found a baby in the stomach of a bullfrog in High School biology class.

I've heard the babies are more dangerous as they don't tailor the flow of venom to match the prey, they just give as much as possible.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Found her (?) on the road closer to my house and neighbors than I'd prefer, so I took the liberty of using her for a short photo shoot then released her along a rocky creek farther away.

Still waiting to find a rattler. I've seen a pic of a big timber rattler found a ways northeast years back, and heard of a small population of pygmy rattlers a ways southeast. But no luck getting my hands on one so far....
Nice post. This would be considered a large copperhead for Oklahoma. That's an impressive snake you have there and I'm not usually comfortable saying that to another man!:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL, yeah, no matter what kind of snake it is, if you're really close before you notice they'll make you jump right out of your skin.

The first copperhead I ever caught was trying to sneak up on me while I was sitting on the rock bank on the lake. I looked over, and he was about 4 feet away coming my way. I jumped pretty high, but I was already goin for a stick when my feet came down. I didn't have anything to put him in, so I scavenged a gallon jug from the lake bank (damn litterers, i always try to take out more than i brought in). So I attempt to stuff the copperhead in the jug head first. He didn't like that plan, and as soon as his tail was going in the jug, his head was coming back out. So I had to catch him again, and have another go at it. Got it right the second time, but the whole while my fishin buddy was 20 yards away yellin "ddh, you dumbass, you're gonna get bit, and you're gonna die, you're flippin crazy you idiot, you got a death wish, and it's gonna be granted." He doesn't care much for snakes, much less poisonous ones sharing our fishing bank.

In retrospect, I'd let the snake go next time before trying to use a gallon jug to hold it in again...too much danger in the process.

Was fishing there another time with a different buddy when a copperhead tried to sneak up on Dave. The snake got within a foot or two before he noticed it, but when he did, he was gone like a slug from a muzzleloader, smoke cloud and all. I seriously doubt I'll ever see anyone move that fast again on multi-level shelf rock. Or leave smoke behind from sneakers on stone.

That exact same thing happened to me when I was night fishing on Current river about 20 years ago; only it was a cottonmouth. I think I scared it worse than it did me!

Nice post. This would be considered a large copperhead for Oklahoma. That's an impressive snake you have there and I'm not usually comfortable saying that to another man!:hmm3grin2orange:

At least the rattler will let you know it's there...copperhead will bite without warning...or you seeing it first. This time of year, thru Oct. will be bad for 'heads here. Can't see them at all in the fallen leaves.

At least the rattler will let you know it's there...copperhead will bite without warning...or you seeing it first. This time of year, thru Oct. will be bad for 'heads here. Can't see them at all in the fallen leaves.

So is that your "copperhead early warning system" - let the wife go first?

good that you relocated it, some would just chop it's head off and for get about, snakes only bite people in defense mode..

Back