Done for the year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSW

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wife goes "yeah, you got a whole two weeks left." :)

Actually I'm finished for the entire winter and realistically next winter but I'll be back in the scrounging mood by then.

I'm nearing 50 cord. Got caught in no mans land, too little to even call it an operation, too much for a guy with a pickup and a Fiskars.

Then there's the job, the house work, the yard work, the daughter to be watched, the muddy weather, the blistering heat. Yadda yadda complain complain. :D

Pics to follow:

I split and stacked what I already had on the ground and called it.

Monday.

IMG_20161208_1434149611_zpsxf54hwux.jpg

Two pin oaks my neighbor asked if I wanted, a while back. Turned it down. Then she directly asked me if I could drop them for her and mentioned her son potentially giving it a shot. Both dead, very questionable stumps, one was two foot diameter, one was closer to three, no limb weight. Both went exactly as they should, one required a ton of beating on wedges. One disintegrated once it hit the ground, didn't get too much wood, lotta punk, but they're safely down and they split easily.

Tuesday.

IMG_20161208_1434288881_zpszdk9wdh6.jpg

Part of my clearing trees. Way too much noodling doodling.

Wednesday.

IMG_20161212_1331341101_zpsog1cnc7f.jpg

Lot of soft maple in there, went too slow considering how easy that splits. Was one of the coldest days, so maybe it felt worse than what it was.

Thursday.

Walked around splitting three storm blown Red Oaks that I had buck earlier in the year. Easy peasy. Don't even handle the stuff.

Pile one -

IMG_20161208_1437300341_zpsigkqbfz5.jpg

You can see pile two in the background.

Pile 2 -

IMG_20161208_1438131351_zpsc48bc8hu.jpg

Where I found a little surprise:

IMG_20161212_1327106731_zps3zzfug7k.jpg

The one I stepped on is the shiny one bent over. Not sure if it was already bent or I bent it. By the grace of God it didn't go through my foot, done that before, don't need to relive it. Would have been quite the exciting end to 2016. :rolleyes:

Pile 3 -

IMG_20161208_1440086461_zpsbjiczjpj.jpg

Sunday and yesterday I got the piles brought in and stacked:

IMG_20161212_1331206591_zpszoap20jg.jpg

A shot of the small clearing, gonna be a lumber,log, building, work yard. I'm pretty excited about it.

IMG_20161208_1435206251_zpsijxz3snv.jpg

That's a wrap on my final week.
Now it's time to burn some wood, keep up with the real operations on here, and get to work on my motorcycle build. :cheers:

I'm sure there is a dead elm just around the corner with your name on it...Red, Siberian or Chinese?
American Elm... and there's near a dozen of them standing in plain view from my front porch.
I figure the boy and I will harvest a couple this weekend.
We did one a couple weeks ago... that boy don't let up, I can't keep up with him anymore.

My 7 yr old isn't much help, but on the bright side I have 25 cords in reserve right now with dead elms everywhere and a few dead oaks in standing storage.

Nice work! Where is the other 40 cords?

Now each one of those stacks has 12 behind it and if you assume air space at 15cf and multiply that by cylindrical volume then you'll see..... Just joking.

That's only 4 cord. 4 healthy cord.

The rest is on the other side of the woods. The extension of the driveway. On the main driveway itself. Then some has already left my place. Now more needs to leave my place.

That's only 4 cord. 4 healthy cord.

The rest is on the other side of the woods. The extension of the driveway. On the main driveway itself. Then some has already left my place. Now more needs to leave my place.
I was looking at it, thinking where is it all? :confused:
I see 5 cord. :laugh:

I never put anything under my wood. During winter it all freezes. I don't even cover anymore. I start splitting in Sept, so there is 4 months time to dry out, if needed.

I have wood on racks I build, gravel, black top and the ground as a last resort.

The bottom definitely doesn't dry out as nicely but the rest is fine.

I might get a wild hair and restack next spring.

Back