Copperhead Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good snake= dead snake! Especially a Copperhead! Nasty suckers, no warning, no rhyme or reason, you sit down and they will bite!
I've no love for snakes, but most I will leave alone, if I see a Copperhead, it's dead!

Thanks Rftree.

And sawin......Boooooooo....

Good on you for lettin most of them go, but having fangs shouldn't mean a death sentence.....

Now, if a poisonous snake is about the homestead, and a person isn't comfortable handling them at all, I can understand reducing the population a bit. Short of that, they've got their place in the eco-system, and it's much better to just leave them totally alone. Plenty of people have been bitten in trying to shovel or rake a snake to death, some of them after the head has been severed from the body.

Don't want copperheads around? Get a healthy population of black rat snakes. The copperheads don't want to hang out where there isn't any food.

I agree that copperheads are bity suckers, but knowing that it's not too difficult to pay attention to where and how you're stepping, and don't sit down somewhere you have not inspected.

Killing the snake does not protect you from the next hidden one, or do anything to appease the fear which led you to kill the last one. Deal with the fear, and let the snake go. Pretty please.

The 'heads have really set in around here, a few years ago a buddy had a family of eight in his basement, in town. If I hear a rattle, I go the other way, NOW! But with a four year old, I don't chance it much, I can't. Where I cut wood it's 100 miles from home, I don't even know the address and it's 15 miles to the closest town with a hospital. I get bit, it's marginal at best, my boy gets bit he's done.
He's curuios and likes to learn, 'heads aren't forgiving in anyway, a rattler you have a chance, a pit viper you are done, I'll run across two of those around here, and I'd rather not run across any again!

Couple more pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The 'heads have really set in around here, a few years ago a buddy had a family of eight in his basement, in town. If I hear a rattle, I go the other way, NOW! But with a four year old, I don't chance it much, I can't. Where I cut wood it's 100 miles from home, I don't even know the address and it's 15 miles to the closest town with a hospital. I get bit, it's marginal at best, my boy gets bit he's done.
He's curuios and likes to learn, 'heads aren't forgiving in anyway, a rattler you have a chance, a pit viper you are done, I'll run across two of those around here, and I'd rather not run across any again!

My boys are snake catchin fools.....(wonder where they get it), and I had to teach them all at a very early age to ID and avoid all the vipers. So far we've never had a problem, any snake they can't positively identify they leave alone and go for help. They've brought in lost of rat snakes, king snakes (speckled and prarie), a few rough greens, tons of garter snakes, and small ringnecks.

The first time they say the fangs and poison up close, and saw how fast they can strike, they learned real quick to not mess with copperheads.

Back