cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For dry oak split and delivered I have gotten as little as $160 a cord and as much as $300 a cord!!!! I was getting close to $300 per cord up till this last year when everybody and his cousin stated selling:rolleyes:

Originally posted by johncinco
But Jumper, that is is north of the border dollars, so really only about $57 us ??

The C$ is worth less than the greenback but not that much less. C$150 would be about US$105 given the exchange rates today, and our dollar is worth US$.73; it was worth US$.63 in Jan, a big gain for five months.

Where I 'm at I get 165.00 a truck load 10yard body about 11/2 cords the wood is free the trucking is 165.00 you can stack it any way you want the truck only holds so much I round it up and thats it. I run a multitek firewood processer and I move a lot of wood gave up on keeping track of how much I don't want to know any more. I need at least 30 triaxels full to make it through a winter a cord of wood should stack up to equal 4x4x8 or 128 cu ft as far as i'm concerned a face cord is 4 ft high 8 ft long by whatever length fits your stove or fireplace 12"-16"- 18"-24"I wont sell wood by the face cord I don't have time to play with it.

I'm just getting caught up here after about a week and don't have the time to check some resources, but I'm thinking a cord is a "dry" measure and a certain amount of air space is considered to be part of the measure.  As to what percentage the space is supposed to occupy I can't say, either, but a cord is not 128 cubic feet of "solid" wood fiber if I'm not mistaken in this.  It would be much the same as measuring a cup of sifted flour for cooking purposes where if you packed the measure full you'd have too much.

Glen

cords

A cord of wood should contain 90 cubic feet of solid wood or 128 cubic feet stacked and fluffed. Green wood by the cord Ash ( white) weighs 4,320lbs; Beech 4,860; Birch 5,131; Cottonwood 4,410; Hickory 5,670; Maple(sugar) 5,040; red maple 4,500; Oak(red) 5,760; Oak(white) 5,670; Walnut 5,220; Pine (white)3,240; pine (yellow) 4,770. I hope you guys are not overloading those pickup trucks to deliver those cords. Dried it weighs less and has about 1-3 million more BTU's because it is not wasting the BTU's trying to burn off the water to steam, no wonder the customers pay more for seasoned wood, I like mine with a little salt & pepper. The mill here will scale your truck for a buck so it's easy to weigh in to the cord.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back