Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to take a pass on some of the technical issues, including optimizing the torque/speed/power consumption design decisions with the motors. Not sure when more voltage is 'better', or past a practical point of diminishing returns. Why 20 cells and not 21 or 23? I like to know what is going on inside, but I can only really comment on the user experience of the product.

I think that the backpack batteries could be useful for some tools and tasks, such as running a string trimmer down a long path, where the user covers large distances on foot, rather than sawing and pruning, which are typically done more within a defined area, and where the cord and weight of a backpack could be an issue.

That said, I could see a lot of ham radio operators salivating at these batteries for 'field day' operations!

Philbert

I have to take a pass on some of the technical issues, including optimizing the torque/speed/power consumption design decisions with the motors. Not sure when more voltage is 'better', or past a practical point of diminishing returns. Why 20 cells and not 21 or 23? I like to know what is going on inside, but I can only really comment on the user experience of the product.

I think that the backpack batteries could be useful for some tools and tasks, such as running a string trimmer down a long path, where the user covers large distances on foot, rather than sawing and pruning, which are typically done more within a defined area, and where the cord and weight of a backpack could be an issue.

That said, I could see a lot of ham radio operators salivating at these batteries for 'field day' operations!

Philbert
10 cells in series gives you 37 volts.

10 cells in series gives you 37 volts.
OK, but why not 11 cells and get 40.7? EGO Power claims 56 volts (= 15 cells?). Is there something electrically that coincides with these steps in battery power (e.g. dynamics of the motor or wiring), or just that we like multiples of 10 (as Tom Leher might say, because we have 10 fingers) and even numbers (calling it '36' or '40' volts instead of '37')?

Philbert

The back packs would have more series chains hooked up in parallel if they use the same cells as the snap in battery I would think.

Cycle Performance 80% of initial capacity at 300 cycles

They only had tulip or yellow poplar to test it on, and it was knot free and to be cut at 90 degrees. Even though I had seen a cut away picture of the Husqvarna one I had to ask the guy if it had planetary reduction as it made quite a bit of whirring sound. Maybe a .043 3/8 lo pro chain and a spur sprocket makes that much noise all by itself. He said it was direct drive. I guess it was acceptable kind of suprising how little difference the economy mode made which may just be slower chain speed.

Not sure why the local shop has sent out his first one, just like his first t540 to a tree guy on a try before you buy basis but no one (at least in this country) on here seems to be posting their experiences like for the t540.

You probably should edit 650 to 65 from what I just looked up.
The back packs would have more series chains hooked up in parallel if they use the same cells as the snap in battery I would think.

Cycle Performance 80% of initial capacity at 300 cycles

They only had tulip or yellow poplar to test it on, and it was knot free and to be cut at 90 degrees. Even though I had seen a cut away picture of the Husqvarna one I had to ask the guy if it had planetary reduction as it made quite a bit of whirring sound. Maybe a .043 3/8 lo pro chain and a spur sprocket makes that much noise all by itself. He said it was direct drive. I guess it was acceptable kind of suprising how little difference the economy mode made which may just be slower chain speed.

Not sure why the local shop has sent out his first one, just like his first t540 to a tree guy on a try before you buy basis but no one (at least in this country) on here seems to be posting their experiences like for the t540.
Yep, brain fart, 65mm. Off to a javelina roast!

I'd imagine the biggest challenge as usual is scrubbing off heat generated. The size of the heat sinks and efficiency of the cooling solution limiting its voltage capacity.

I've had some experience with 18650 cells in rechargeable flashlights. Failures are rare, but scary. Most happen either while hot charging, or during extreme discharge. Failure under extreme discharge rates results in a spectacular flame out. There have been reports of cheap Chinese cells exploding rather spectacularly during charging. So beware the modder of the risks at hand. That said, as a former rc car guy, good cells can make a HUGE impact on performance.

I would definitely pick up a 5aH battery for mine if I could locate one. I haven't seen one with that much capacity in the U. S.

80 Volt Cordless Chainsaw!!!

This probably deserves it's own thread, but I figured the Li-ion folks were already 'here'.
http://www.greenworkstools.com/80v-pro/80v-pro-chainsaw/80v-18inch-chainsaw/

18" bar, 3/8 (low pro?) chain, weight (?), $349 list with charger and 2.0 Ah battery.

View attachment 389370

(It's like one of Zogger's predictions coming true! I'll have to start paying attention to what he says now).

Philbert

Quick! someone buy one and try it out!! hahaha!

Hmm, predictions..silver, being both an ancient form of money and also an industrial use metal, is really underpriced today..socking some away won't hurt...

Told my girlfriend to add some alibaba to her portfolio with their IPO, she listened and is up..40%? Something like that so far.

Quick! someone buy one and try it out!! hahaha!

Hmm, predictions..silver, being both an ancient form of money and also an industrial use metal, is really underpriced today..socking some away won't hurt...

Told my girlfriend to add some alibaba to her portfolio with their IPO, she listened and is up..40%? Something like that so far.

All over it! Gold, platinum, and palladium, too.

I used the 80v green works saw at the gie expo and it was really nice I was cutting 12" pieces of Sycamore. The saw had good speed and torque it was the best battery operated saw I used. I used the husky, and the Oregon as well. It is just nice to think about not messing with fuel, air filters, plugs and carbs. Cheers

I just did a search on YouTube for 80v Greenworks Chainsaw. There's two quick vids of some Chinese dude in a blue suit making a cut with it. It looks like a hunk of crap to me(just like other Greenworks stuff)....I think my stihl 36v saws would cut just as fast as what's shown in those videos. ....or maybe it's just those vids, I'd like to see more.

I just did a search on YouTube for 80v Greenworks Chainsaw.
Interesting. When I searched YouTube for 'Greenworks 80 Volt Chainsaw' I only found videos of their 40 volt and smaller models. When I used your term, '80v Greenworks Chainsaw', I found the ones you mentioned!

Linking them here for others:

But you are correct - more voltage is not necessarily 'better', 'faster', 'stronger', or make for a better saw by itself. Those videos are not impressive, but it is hard to know what wood they are cutting, or the condition of the chain. That's why we want to try them side-by-side, like you did with the Ryobi and STIHL!

Philbert

Well just by looking at the ground that chain is probably fried, look at all the cookies. That is cherry from what it looks like, not soft wood for sure. I don't know why I am fighting for the saw lol. Well I am fighting for it because it was the best one I ran at the convention and 80v makes a big difference from what I saw.

Latest posts

Back