Cordless Tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been very happy with my Dewalt 18v cordless tools. But the original batteries have failed and replacements are god awful expensive. Even the conversion kit to run the newer 20v batteries costs more than a new 20v drill with two batteries. And the knock off replacement batteries I bought two years ago are already junk.

What are you guys running for cordless tools?

I am a weekend project guy so do not need fancy stuff.

I have Milwaukee tools and I really like them. I have the 12v 3/8 ratchet, the 12V 3/8 impact, the 18v 1/4 cordless impact. And my drill is makita with 18v lithium ion batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Milwaukee tools and I really like them. I have the 12v 3/8 ratchet, the 12V 3/8 impact, the 18v 1/4 cordless impact. And my drill is makita with 18v lithium ion batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really could use a good cordless ratchet. They are super handy when working on just about anything.

The tools from all the big names are generally pretty good, but the key is in the batteries. My contractor friends all say Makita's battery packs are the best overall with Milwaukee a distant 2nd, and Dewalt batteries are #$%#^#@. That said I have Makita 12 and 18v tools, Milwaukee 12v and Ridgid 12 and 18v tools. I've not had a Makita battery fail since the old NiCad days in the 90's. I've had a couple Ridgid batteries fail and were covered under their lifetime warranty. Haven't had the Milwaukee batteries for a year yet so can't say on them. Some of my Ridgid stuff is going on 8+ years.

Should note that the more I've been using the Makita and Milwaukee 12v tools the more I'm liking them. Circular saws, no, but drivers, drills, impacts and those little 3" cutoff tools are awesome.

I have switched to all ridgid the past few years. They seem to hold up really well and you can't beat there lifetime replacement, although I haven't had to use it yet, but no one else even comes close to that for a warranty.

Forgot to add that they have been 18 volt with the same batteries since day one so you can even pick up older ridgid stuff at yardsales and flea mkts and know that your batteries will still work.

I replaced my makita 18v with dewalt 20v 3+ years ago. I use the makita at home now its 9 years old. My cordless tools get used every day at work and I like dewalt. Ive dropped them a ton and my impact driver has falled from 16 feet a time or too. I have the string trimmer at home and the blower and I can't complain. The only reason I went from dewalt 18v to makita 18 volt was for the batteries. Then I switched back after dewalt the 20v was out for a couple years.

If you’re savvy, or have a place nearby, you can rebuild your batteries.
The cells inside can be found online, there are many retailers. Spot welding the tabs together is better than soldering....
The 20v are likely A123 cells or 18650 cells (a lithium based) and the 18v are NiCd or NiMH. NiMh would be the same and an upgrade If you do them yourself.

All Makita here. I had the same luck with you with DeWalt batteries and also crappy drill chucks.

Funny thing about the chucks. I drilled a hole with my 6 in a half inch hole saw and when I stopped it all went bye bye. I was on the second floor and luckily no one was under me because that would have hurt. The chucks blow. Other than that no complaints with makita or dewalt.

Kobalt. Batteries are reasonably priced. Tools have held up great the last 3 years. My cousin is a contractor he said the new xtr line is hands down the best cordless tools he has used ever. I do alot of car repair work and the impacts have never let me down. Heck i even converted my kids power wheels to use the battery packs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I run both Milwaukee Fuel and Snap-On at home and love them both. We run Dewalt , Bosch and Mikita at work and they can’t hold a candle to my personal stuff....the Dewalt is the worst.

Ran 18 volt dewalts for 7-8 years. Bought the 20 volt 4 years ago or so. Got conversion also to run 18 volt stuff. Batteries are getting bad. Usually use the small 1 amp hour in 1/4" impact. Then the 5's in drill, leaf blower, big 1/2" impact.

Heard Milwaukee Fuel are really nice.

Great thread! I’ve used a few of the bigger named battery power tools, over about 20 years. They have certainly come along way! Right now at work we’re on Milwaukee and they seem to be doing pretty good. Also had good luck with kobalt , and they’ve got a good warranty on their stuff. I also find different contractors will swear by different brands. But for the price and warranty kobalt is what I use at home. Good luck!!

I have ran Dewalt's 18 volt tools for years. I use them a bunch on the farm and my HVAC side business. I sold my first set of tools in 2011 and bought a new set with Lithium Ion batteries and the tools and the batteries have held up well. I do think as these start to die I will switch over to the Milwaukee's tools. Many contractor friends are having good luck with them. I have been around Ridgid drills a fair amount and I didn't care for there chuck.

Ridgid.
I have a new charger and 2 batteries sitting at the repair center for me, failed after 9 yrs. and replaced free.
Repaired my hammer drill last year. Replaced a drill/driver. Both about 10 yrs old.
Secret - only buy batteries with tools. Lifetime service when bought together. Not on batteries bought on their own.

Have drill, driver, hammer drill, 1/2” impacts, sawzall, circular, oscillating, .... plus corded grinders, etc.

Sold all three air impacts after getting the ridgid. It rocks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have Dewalt 18v for work, have some of the Amazon no name batteries and never an issue. I also have Makita for work, only had one battery go bad out of about 8 of them. I have a garage full of the Ryobi green 18 volt and am very happy with them, I beat the crap out of them in the garage. I just recently bought a Millwaukee 12v rivet gun and love it. I also just bought a HF 3/8" ratchet (12v) and so far I am quite happy with it. I have a 12v grease gun from Tractor supply which is great!
I write the date I buy a tool or battery on it with a Sharpie , some last a lot longer than others but most have been great.

Dewalt is my brand of choice but I did almost buy some Milwaukee stuff recently. My 1/4 dewalt impact is bad ass, I think the model number is dcf887. It will remove car and truck wheels and zap them back on with over 100 pound feet of torque. Recently I helped a buddy with a brake problem on his 2500 Chevy pickup. He was having problems with his compressor and we needed some anti seize from my house. I grabbed my dewalt stuff and the anti seize. He laughed when he saw the 1/4 half adapter but was shocked as it took off all 8 lug nuts in seconds. I hardly use air anymore, His girl even asked me later what I bought over so she could buy him the same setup.

Dewalt is my brand of choice but I did almost buy some Milwaukee stuff recently. My 1/4 dewalt impact is bad ass, I think the model number is dcf887. It will remove car and truck wheels and zap them back on with over 100 pound feet of torque. Recently I helped a buddy with a brake problem on his 2500 Chevy pickup. He was having problems with his compressor and we needed some anti seize from my house. I grabbed my dewalt stuff and the anti seize. He laughed when he saw the 1/4 half adapter but was shocked as it took off all 8 lug nuts in seconds. I hardly use air anymore, His girl even asked me later what I bought over so she could buy him the same setup.
I am thinking I am going to buy the 20v drill and 1/4 impact combo kit, comes with a carry bag, two batteries, and a charger.

Back