Corkscrew Willow Lifespan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really sure on total lifespan but I know that they are considered short lived. They are grouped in the fast growing, fast dying, and invasive catagory. They are good if you have the room, water, saw, and time. They require pruning 2-3 times a year with hand shears to lift branching from touching the ground. They require to be cleaned up in the canopy due to the branching growing into each other if you want a cleaner look. They have a shallow root system if they are not located near open water or flood irrigation.

I have 4 in my yard. One that I keep at 10 feet and three by a pond. They are young but I am guessing that they live around 60-80 yrs.

Maybe? Maybe not?

Corkscrew Willow

I removed a very dead corkscrew a few months ago. I'm guessing in was 40 to 45 yrs. old, based on the age of the house. 'Not sure what killed it but it had never been pruned and it looked like the structure made it vulnerable to fungi. It was in a swale that probably had leech bed run-off so that may have contributed. There are five others in same swale that are also declining. This was a large one and a pain in the neck. It hung over the neighbors 6 ft. picket fence. He'd parked an older car directly under the largest lateral and I told him we'd be removing the tree tommorrow and politely suggested he move the car to a different spot. When we came back for the removal there were two cars parked there. I guess he was looking for an insurance payoff. We fooled him.
Phil

Back