Correct Saw For My Use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, the 361 vibrates violently, and "walks" around when it sits idling on the ground, but it is really smooth in the hands. It was the first Stihl with spring AV, one of many features they copied from Husky....

nice that it stays upright though.....:laugh:

Well since none of these yahoo's have asked, I guess I'll be the first.

What size and number of trees are you going to be cutting?

ALL of the major manufacturers make a very good saw now days.
Husky
Stihl
Dolmar - The best of the lesser known manufacturers, also makes Makita gas powered saws.
Jonsered -Which is now being carried in a major "Farm and Home" store, is a Husqvarna with different plastic.
Echo - is making some really nice saws now.
Redmax- The Japanese version of Husqvarna/Jonsered, and a great saw.

You were given the correct advice a page or so ago. Invest in a dealer that you like, who stocks parts and has time to talk to you when you enter their store. The brand is entirely a secondary consideration.

Mike

The OP brought up pro model saws...

The 545/550 are great saws, but they do seem to have some issues. The 346 is a well proven model, with a track record going back 13 or so years. Parts are everywhere, there are several similar models that share many common parts, and they are simple to work on... a 346 is so well sorted out that it is hard to make a compelling case against it.

The 261 is a nice saw, but it doesn't have the compact feel and weighs more than the 346/550.

:agree2: To the OP: You will receive a lot of advice on this thread, but as far as new 50cc saws go, the above says it best. If it were me, I'd determine the better dealer for service and let that be the deciding factor; if that dealer sells Husky's, it would be an easy choice: 346xp.

If the 1 acre lot has such big trees I don't thing we would be limiting the saws to just 50cc class saws. I am not saying they wouldnt be a better saw, but for sure are'nt needed, then there is wanted. :cheers:

I am just saying you never know, and he wasn't specific except wanting new probably and around the size and pro quality he mentioned.

I know what you are saying and a $175 brand new 50cc Poulan PP5020AV would most likely work for him as well, albeit heavier than a pro husky/stihl/whatever. All sorts of guys here have them now and pretty much all like them. One of the best cut for the buck deals out there now.

When I go out wooding I typically haul around five different saws with me, small to large, just because I can and it makes it easier to size to the cut, plus no dorking around in the field with sharpening chains, etc, at least most of the time. Usually two smaller saws at around 40cc class, two mid size 50 and 60,, then one larger than that. Works for me, although most times I could get by with a 60 for everything, I like larger for felling and base log bucking, and much smaller for light trimming. Mid size does most of the branch and smaller end of the log bucking.

I have done it a bunch, but really don't like cutting from two sides to make a bucking cut.

*shrugs*

If the OP hangs around here he will have multiple saws soon anyway, pretty much near always happens.

Once your neighbors find out you are a chainsaw guy, one saw will not handle everything.
For every different size tree you will need a different size saw:laugh::laugh:

Let me get this straight, we are talking about a 1 acre lot? I have no problem saying that a ms 170 would absolutely fill the need, any homeowner saw would. It is just one acre after all. How a 261 or a 346 would actually be needed is beyond me. Thats akin to a oceanliner being needed to cross a pond. :laugh:

I know they are overkill for a one acre lot. My plans are, in the next couple years to buy some larger property. For now, I am looking to have something a little bigger and not need the size all the time, then, for some reason, need a bigger saw for whatever and not have one. The two I am looking at seem to be one of the better all around saws....not too big but not too small. But this is why I am checking with all the people that have responded...advice is all.

Man, big trees dont care where they grow. One acre lot, city sidestreet, in the forest. All of the above.

I was a one small 36cc homeowner saw guy until 2010 when the tornado went through here. Really changes your outlook on what is "enough saw"....or "enough sawS"

The absolute cheapest crap new riding mower for your lawn from a box store costs similar to a *nice* mid size pro saw, I am not seeing any problem with the guy wanting a quality tool to help maintain his expensive monthly mortgage investment.

This is it in a nutshell...When I saw some of those trees on my lot blowing in the last wind shear that came through...that was when I knew I need something in case one fell. I would have been a popular guy around the block the next day had they known I had a saw!:rock:

Even if I lived on a half acre lot with no trees (gasp!), I'd still want a nice pro saw. Why? I enjoy working with quality tools, I can rely on them when I need them, and they often end up costing less in the long term. Plus, I've been spoiled by knowing what a top quality saw can do, and I can't go back.

This is it in a nutshell...When I saw some of those trees on my lot blowing in the last wind shear that came through...that was when I knew I need something in case one fell. I would have been a popular guy around the block the next day had they known I had a saw!:rock:

That's it. you really need *at least* one decent mid size saw (I will call mid size anything 50 to 70) and a backup craigslist poulan or two. Minimum.

I went from that one dinky saw to now quite a few, out to 94cc. And funny thing, you wind up using them. I just keep scrounging them up and fixing them. I haven't sold any, but I also like swapping around sometimes, and it is fun to work on them, and more fun to use them, plus, it is practical. like you said, in your community, comes an emergency, all the saws in the area and more will be needed.

Good luck and better skill with whichever one you pick out man! And get the protection gear!

That's it. you really need *at least* one decent mid size saw (I will call mid size anything 50 to 70) and a backup craigslist poulan or two. Minimum.

I went from that one dinky saw to now quite a few, out to 94cc. And funny thing, you wind up using them. I just keep scrounging them up and fixing them. I haven't sold any, but I also like swapping around sometimes, and it is fun to work on them, and more fun to use them, plus, it is practical. like you said, in your community, comes an emergency, all the saws in the area and more will be needed.

Good luck and better skill with whichever one you pick out man! And get the protection gear!

Got to give it to zogger great advice. If you are going to get a bigger saw eventually why not start out with the top of the mid size heap at 70cc brand not important.Either way pick the dealer closest to you who treats you the best and buy what he has. I am blest in having 2 within less than 30 minutes from the house that treat you like family should.

Even if I lived on a half acre lot with no trees (gasp!), I'd still want a nice pro saw. Why? I enjoy working with quality tools, I can rely on them when I need them, and they often end up costing less in the long term. Plus, I've been spoiled by knowing what a top quality saw can do, and I can't go back.

Yup, my father always told me, buy the best of what you can afford.

He also said, if you can't afford the very best, then buy the second best. :msp_wink:

I'm thinkin he was thinkin Husky. :hmm3grin2orange:

OP, I grew up in a house on a one acre lot. We had a large willow go down. I was cutting it up with my only chainsaw at the time. It was a little Skilsaw and I don't even know what model it was but it probably had about a 14" bar on it. At any rate, I told my dad we needed a bigger saw so he and I went to the hardware store in town and between my dad, myself and the salesman we came home with a Stihl 026 with an 18" bar on it. It was a lot of money for a saw (my dad funded it as it was his house/tree)

That said, here are the important factors: 1. Had a one acre lot at the time. 2. It had a big tree on it that needed more saw than we had. 3. I now own 160 acres divided between two states and they're all wooded. 4. That saw is currently in my truck as I just took it on a tree job. 5. The saw is well over 20 years old and runs like a new one.

Do I think you need a pro saw? No. Should you buy a pro saw? Why not?, If you can afford it, you likely won't regret it.

It seems like the OP has no problem spending the extra money on a pro saw, his best bet would be to go to the local dealer and pick himself up a nice 50-70cc pro saw of his choice.

I agree with the majority here... find a good local dealer, hopefully one where you can compare stihl and husky side by side. after reading around here, power and weight specs... the obvious choice for a pro 50cc saw was a husky 346xp, but when i went to the dealer and held them both, the stihl MS261 just felt better in my hands (i know... saw troll... i know). it just seemed to fit me better. funny thing is that the guy next to me said the same thing about the husky LOL they are both great saws, try them both and pick the one you like. you cant go wrong in the 50cc pro class:rock:

So, it's down to this...

So, I called around a few dealers today. As I said, I am on a ship and cannot go to a place right now. I have narrowed it down to either the MS-261 or the 346/550 XP. So, I got numbers of various Stihl and Husky dealers around the area. The closest dealer, who sells both Stihl and Husky, unfortunately, was less than welcoming to my phone call. The second dealer was quite helpful and actually still had a 346 XP on the shelf. She physically went and put her hand on it while I waited. She also offered to hold it for me until I got home to see and feel both the 261 and 346 side by side. This dealer also comes recommended by someone in the forum from my area...so, lets see where it goes. I even offered a little deposit for her to hold it...she said she would hold it for me (another 2.5 weeks!) without the need for deposit. So, that right there showed me they are reasonable people to work with.

You just found your new dealer and new saw.

I bet you can't wait to pick up your saw, What kind of saw shop is that:msp_ohmy:

hahah...well, I guess what I meant to say was that...Your computer inventory can say a lot of things, but until the salesperson physically goes and puts her hand on it to verify its actually there, then computer inventory doesn't mean a thing. And being that the 346 is not beign manufactured anymore, it's nice to know one is available. As the 346XP seems to have a good long standing reputation. Now I jsut need to go and actually pick them up and feel the balance, weight, etc. But when she offered to hold it for me and said a deposit wasn't necessary...I figured they would be good to work with, regardless of which saw i choose.

Latest posts

Back