Correct Tire Swing Anchoring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkFloydEffect

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is there a correct way of anchoring a tire swing to a limb without hurting the tree? Tire swings rock :)

tire20swing.jpg

No. But through-hardware is best.

Thats a beautiful location for a swing.

No. But through-hardware is best.

Thats a beautiful location for a swing.

Well I want one on my thinking tree, my old growth maple but I sure as hell am not running any bolts through my tree unless it's for a cable support. I think it's just something I need to get up there annually and move a few inches. Maybe use a cambium saver?

Nah. As this thread progresses it will likely become more clear but destroying the cambium on the top side of the branch is way more destructive than running through-hardware. Hard to see at first but reflect on it.

Those mountains are idyllic.

Nah. As this thread progresses it will likely become more clear but destroying the cambium on the top side of the branch is way more destructive than running through-hardware. Hard to see at first but reflect on it.

Those mountains are idyllic.

I guess your right, they are used for temporary climbing and rigging not a perminate fixture. A good old rope and moving it annually might be it.

And I did not take that photo but I would love to go there

They are permanent. Rather the rope effect the hardware "eye" than continuosly destroy cambium every single swing. Small tolerance.

Bet thats some good fishin, too.

I made a search to find the post I made about it but didn't find it so...

adynamic024.jpg

treesupportsystem004.jpg

those are straps designed to be used to cable trees and used with the cable rope

treesupportsystem005.jpg

Basically I used that to fortify the low limb which the swing would be attached to

adynamic026.jpg

adynamic022.jpg

Might depend on variables.

How heavy are the people swinging?

How high is the limb? How thick is the limb?

If I used an eye-bolt all the way through, I'd sure want one that didn't tweak and stress the metal where the eye meets the limb. Maybe at least 5/8" double.

The I just hung the swings with climbing line which was tied with a bowline around the strap on the limb so it wouldn't hurt the limb.

garden003.jpg

moreswing004.jpg

You can make all sorts of swings

garden002.jpg

tireswing007.jpg

I personally think that is as correct as one can get. I made a few posts on the topic cause I see so many haphazzard ways. I can't remember what I named the posts but rest assured they are worth looking for.

I really do think that supporting the limb the swing is attached to is important also. I have never actually heard of an acccident with a swing but with the crap I have seen I am sure surprised.

Last edited:
DAN, My light 4.5 year old girl would love that set up, in the right candidate. But you have to admit the friction/pressure is not exactly doing that limb any favors.
Besides, i believe we are talking about hanging a swing in an old maple, right, PFE? Through-Hardware, imo.

That's wikid cool! I never ever thought about supporting the limb the swing is attached to thanks. Love the rigging photos, the only person swinging on it 90% of the time is me 115lbs. Look at the little kid go damn! He's guna grow up to be a tree man like his dad I bet. The board looks nasty but I like the classic tire :) I'll take pictures tomorrow of where I want the swing to be.

Yes woodW 1 if not both of my old growth red maples. And I don't "swing" I just kinda chill haha

Off topic and all but... can tree work be deducted on your taxes? Is it considered improving your property?

Last edited:
I like the sound of that. Those moments are important.

It's the whole point of this tree, I used to climb into the crotch and sit in it but then I realized that all that up and down causes bark damage on old growths so I started sitting on the root flares because they are so massive now I'm board I want a tire swing to sit in. Tree means too much to me I won't allow any reckless swinging :hmm3grin2orange:

DAN, My light 4.5 year old girl would love that set up, in the right candidate. But you have to admit the friction/pressure is not exactly doing that limb any favors.
Besides, i believe we are talking about hanging a swing in an old maple, right, PFE? Through-Hardware, imo.

Actually there is little friction and the pressure is causes the limb to grow stronger... in theory.

I've tied rope swings using a bowline large enough that a girth hitch can be tied around the limb with the bowline hanging about a foot below the limb. This set up can be loosened ever year or so and moved a few inches. The rope does not move around on the limb when swinging and I've not seen any limb damage. If you can't visualize what I'm suggesting I'll send in a photo over the weekend.

Lets see !

The bowline is hanging about a foot below the limb....and the girth hitch is around the limb. The girth spreads the load over more limb and rope surface and stops rope movement. I suggest this set up be loosened up and moved a few inches every year or so.

attachment.php

pretty much how my swing is set but its only on a single line. More of a RB than a girth.

The bowline is hanging about a foot below the limb....and the girth hitch is around the limb. The girth spreads the load over more limb and rope surface and stops rope movement. I suggest this set up be loosened up and moved a few inches every year or so.

attachment.php

Awesome! I figured I could move it out one year then back in the next year then back to its middle position the 3rd year and repeat.

Back when my kids were little and before I was in the tree care biz, I just screwed in a 1/2" eye screw from the hardware store. That was about 18 years ago. The limb's still there, the rope has since rotted away and the kids have graduated from university.

Back