Cost of Dutch Elm Disease Inoculation / Treatment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Ho

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just had an arborist come and visit and he recommended that we get Dutch Elm Disease Inoculation once every two years for this tree in the front of my home (pics attached).

That's fine, but he's asking for $1075. That just seems steep, or is that the going rate??

IMG_4200.JPG IMG_4200.JPG IMG_4201.JPG IMG_4202.JPG

Don't you hate it when people answer a question with a question???
I was under the assumption that dutch elm disease was a Red Elm tree curse not American or Chinese or so many of the others,, can someone set this assumption straight??
Have read that dutch Elm disease doesn't affect very young trees.. it seems they hit mine at about the 6" to 9" diameter size.
Is your tree a Red Elm? It appears to be from your Picture.

Yes, it's an Elm of some sort.

I'm in Northern NJ, I don't know if there is really a threat of elm disease that require biannual inoculation, or if this is just a way to get some more fees....

Treatments every two or three years with thiabendazole hypophoshite compounds like Abortect are effective for prevention of DED on trees that are not already infected, but almost all elm species are susceptible to varying degrees. A lot of hybrids have been tested over the years, but most of them eventually succumb to the disease. The chemicals are expensive, and the injection equipment required isn't cheap, but I have no idea what constitutes a fair price. Around here, selling preventative services to save elm trees is paramount to selling popsickles to Eskimos.

That's a heavily pruned tree with a lot of topping cuts... not a lot of canopy left. If this was to remove a lot of dead branches and limbs, that might indicate that the tree is already infected, in which case treating it for DED now isn't going to save it.

Treatments every two or three years with thiabendazole hypophoshite compounds like Abortect are effective for prevention of DED on trees that are not already infected, but almost all elm species are susceptible to varying degrees. A lot of hybrids have been tested over the years, but most of them eventually succumb to the disease. The chemicals are expensive, and the injection equipment required isn't cheap, but I have no idea what constitutes a fair price. Around here, selling preventative services to save elm trees is paramount to selling popsickles to Eskimos.

That's a heavily pruned tree with a lot of topping cuts... not a lot of canopy left. If this was to remove a lot of dead branches and limbs, that might indicate that the tree is already infected, in which case treating it for DED now isn't going to save it.

You worded your reply to answer both posts in one reply
Well Done
Do you have any thoughts on the DED Effects on younger Elms??
Thanks for sharing your Opinions/Knowledge

Few thoughts:

How big is the tree (diameter or circumference at chest height)? Local markets are going to dictate pricing to a degree, but if it is going over $25-$30 per inch of diameter, that is starting to sound pretty high...for small town Ohio. Maybe not out of the question high for big city NJ?

Did they identify the species elm? I think it looks more like American than Slippery (Red). Both are susceptible to Dutch Elm Disease (DED), but American is infected more readily. Many of the hybrids are NOT infected by DED...especially those with Chinese elm and Siberian elm (which is a trash tree anyhow...). There are also American elm cultivars that are very resistant to DED.

Arbotect is the "industry standard" for DED treatment. The label recommends 2 different rates: 1 for every year, and another for every THREE years. There is nothing on the label about every other year. Ask they which product they were planning to use. If Arbotect, I'd run - find another service provider...they either don't know what they are doing or they are trying to increase their profits by treating the tree too often at no benefit to your tree (or they are skipping a treatment...but if they are using the 1 year does, they are really high on price).

I do agree with JeffGu that isn't a great looking tree - one that hasn't been pruned well. Have you been in the house for a while? Is that pruning you initiated? If so, was the wood dead when it was pruned? When was the pruning done? If this summer, I'd probably wait a year to see if you get any infection introduced through those cuts.

Looks like the power company has chewed away at the tree a little too. Call them and ask if you treat the tree if they will sign (IN WRITING) an agreement to only prune the tree during the dormant season. If not, I'd think twice about investing in treatment. The beetle that carries the disease is attracted to fresh pruning cuts. The best way to avoid that is not prune while the beetle is flying.

Are their neighboring elm trees withing 50-100' of this? DED can spread through root grafts. If you treat yours but your neighbor doesn't treat theirs, you tree will face a lot of disease pressure when theirs is infected (it will be protected....but protection PLUS prevention is the best formula...ditto for the pruning schedule above).

Ultimately, is the cost worth it to YOU? JeffGu above, apparently, doesn't think there are elm trees worth saving (edit: He doesn't live in an area with clients who think the trees are worth saving). I have clients who think their tree is worth saving. The treatment works if it is done correctly. Nearly all untreated elm trees of North American origin die from DED. If you decide you want to save it, and you are not very familiar with the outfit who quoted you, look for other Certified Arborists at www.treesaregood.com to get additional quotes. I'd call now...they may have plenty of time to stop out during the slow season and plan for a summer treatment.

Do you have any thoughts on the DED Effects on younger Elms??
I still go back to the client: is it worth it?

If you are looking at a 6" dbh tree that we want to set up for a life time of (relatively expensive) treatments, I'd point out that we can remove and replace that tree and have a tree that won't need to be drilled into every 3 years for the rest of its life...and not be too far behind where we are now. The argument on the other side of that is that small trees are not that costly to treat.

On a larger tree: You are looking at a tree that is "un-replaceable" (in our life time). Plus removal cost is more, and you lose the shade and property value increase that tree brings. I'd argue you are not making up for the cost of treatment by calculating those losses. I always tell my clients "If you run the numbers as an accountant, I think it comes down to you have to like the tree more than you like money." There are other treatments for other trees that I can offer financial justification for the treatment...unless it is a really special tree in a special location, I haven't been able to do that with DED.

...doesn't think there are elm trees worth saving.

Actually, what I said was that in this area people don't consider them worth saving... makes it very difficult to sell any kind of preservation work, and many of them ask if I'll just top the tree (which I won't do).

Second growth elms around here end up eventually succumbing to DED, too.. albeit after quite some time... as do volunteers or suckers that get infected, as ATH said, through root grafting. I have a half dozen elm removals scheduled for next spring, on a single property. All are Siberian Elms with DED complete with larvae galleries and more than 30% of the canopies dead, most of them 70% dead. 24" to 30" DBH trees, these ones are highly resistant and take a very long time to start dying off. They can deal with DED better than most of the species/hybrids around here. I'm no fan of any of them, but a good looking one in good health (well any but the Siberian) is a beautiful shade tree and I prefer to talk the client into keeping it if it isn't posing any danger or threat to their property.

Personally, I think the best overall plan (at least in cases when it is possible) is to slowly replace the elm and ash trees with more desirable species that are less likely to be a long term problem. If they grew to 60' in a couple of years, none of us would have any trouble selling the idea... but, instant gratification seems to be slowly replacing the very rewarding process of providing for our grandchildren.

Actually, what I said was that in this area people don't consider them worth saving... makes it very difficult to sell any kind of preservation work, and many of them ask if I'll just top the tree (which I won't do).....
Sorry about that...misread your analogy.

Slow replacement is a great plan on a landscape level. It becomes more difficult when it is time for Mrs. Smith to say good bye to the elm or ash she always took the kids pictures by on the first day of school...

It becomes more difficult...

Agreed. I think that's where we have to use our imagination to come up with a plan that the client will like... such as, start a new family tradition! Have a family after-dinner meeting to discuss a replacement plan, such as researching a few species that would be good choices for the long haul... that will do well in the local climate... and narrow it down until everyone agrees, with input from us as to anything about the species that might make it an especially good or bad choice. Buy and plant the new tree (again, perhaps with our input or help) and maybe do some reduction pruning on the old one, to allow more sunlight for the new tree, with an eye toward removing the old tree within a time frame that lets it nurse the new tree for a number of years. And, start taking the pictures of the kids standing with their new tree.

It might not make us as much money as a removal, or a long term (but highly optimistic) preservation plan... but for me, anyway... it's more gratifying and might encourage people to look at trees in a different light.

Back