Cotten wood good for anything?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I had a tree company that brings me wood from time to time dumped a load of cotton wood when I wasn’t there. They wouldn’t come back and get it when I called so I fired them. It’s not the first time they have brought me junk.
So what it good for?

well it will beat a snowball.. As far as firing them for bringing you free wood.. never heard the saying beggars can't be choosers?

They charged you for the wood? I guess I'm not sure how you fired them. Sounds like they were giving you free wood. If so burn it and don't complain. I burn quite a bit of cottonwood.

Cotton wood its great for a bonfire.well not great but it works.

Houston, hmm. Cottonwood will take a while there to dry out, unless your drought continues. As firewood, it stinks, literally, when you cut it, but it does give heat. Its not ash or hedge or oak or elm, but it beats box elder and willow. Lots of trailer planking made from cottonwood, it stays somewhat flexible, and doesn't split. But its not hard to split for firewood.

I got a couple cords for free last summer. Dried out fast after I split it. It was free, which is best!

Burns ok to me......there is worse wood out there!

I had a tree company that brings me wood from time to time dumped a load of cotton wood when I wasn’t there. They wouldn’t come back and get it when I called so I fired them. It’s not the first time they have brought me junk.
So what it good for?
Boy I must have it made with the tree company that drops wood off for me from time to time. If they are working in my area and have wood that they want to unload they ALWAYS call me a day or two before and let me know what kind it is and roughly how much. I tend to agree with one of the posters above that without some type of an arrangement that beggars can't be choosey. Did you get a big chuckle out of the tree guy when you "Fired" him? As for your cotton wood question I have never burned any but to me it seems like more board members pass on it then burn it. guess your kind of stuck with it now so make the best of it and come back and give us your opinion on how it burns.

I’m not begging for wood. We have an abundant supply of dead oak due to the drought.
It’s given away by the truck load by everyone these days. Around here you have to pay a hefty sum to dump wood at the local dump or even the mulch places charge them to dump. So in my eyes I’m doing them a favor in letting them dump here instead and they are helping me because I don’t have to go get it. But lately they have brought nothing but junk like rutted punk wood or cotton wood. They have been told that I don’t want the junk but they have tried to sneak in and dump junk on me, that’s way I told them not to bother anymore.
Taking the good wood to there Mexican buddies and giving me junk isn’t going to happen anymore.
I have another company that does bring great wood every time and always calls before they come and this one was supposed to as well but they snuck in some bad loads.
I’m not the local dump and won’t be treated as such.

As for the cotton wood they brought I will just put in the scrap pill and sell it for camp wood.

There’s a Indian (Muslim) church that called wanting bon fire wood for a ceremony they are planning in a few weeks. I’ll sell it to them real cheap, surly they wont mind, they stink anyway!lol

Cottonwood

If you have it already at your place I would just work it up and burn it. I have a big one right out back here that is dying I'm going to it cut up and burn it just because it's to close not to. It may not be oak but it makes heat.

There are people who will burn it. The electric company had one removed from the electric right of way, they chunked it up and left it in the old folks yard that own the property. They called us up mid to late July and asked us how much we'd charge to remove it, kinda of knew about the people, he's like 81 was a career Army guy, was in Korea and served three tours in Vietnam, prolly at least 36-38" dia, went and looked at it, helluva mess. Anyone that sells wood knows there are always a leech who wants any trash wood, ends/pieces etc. I call him up and ask how he like to have at least one or two truck loads and a 16" trailer load. He ask how much, I tell him 50.00, just enough to cover fuel cost, tell him thats not split, just cit into rounds and set on his truck and trailer. I do the job for free for the old veteran. The guy shows up like a hungry buzzard smelling a gut wagon. We just chunk it everything in 20" lengths, it's only about a mile and 1/4 from the house so we roaded our little tractor up to the place and use our logging tongs and set dripping wet cotton wood on his trailer. We loaded everything we could load on the trailer, loaded the Ford 150 he drives to the max, I mean I'm getting concerned about the weight, he says keep loading her boys. When we finished his rear bumper was literally 6" off the ground. I have never seen such a over load in my life, to pull over the little hill he had to go over, he had to lock into 4x4 low range with his 300 six cylinder. The old gentleman and I laughed to our sides hurt. It was worth doing it for the old veteran for free for serving our country in two wars. It was worth selling the worthless wood for 50.00 for the entertainment value of watching a firewood buzzard in action. He was going to burn it in his OWB sometime this year. I wish we had taken pictures, some folks will tear up a 2500.00 trailer and a 25k truck for worthless,almost free wood.lol

I've been burning mostly cottonwood so far this year since its been so mild. We have a lot of it around here and I'll take pretty much anything I can get. It doesn't coal up like a good hardwood but I can get an 8 hour burn out if it.

There is nothing wrong with cottonwood, that is about all we have around here. I heat a shop and a house, as hot as I want even at -30 with cottonwood, the thing is, you have to have a man sized stove and be willing to put up with quite a bit of ash, not a big deal. I could see if someone had a modern little stove with a puny little fire box not liking it. As for us, non epa blaze kings , king models and owb eat it up!! I get 10-12 hours of 400 degree heat on a load, that is not bad.I will take it all!! Matter of fact I just started a new tree project, it should yield 12 cords out of 1 tree. I love this stuff!!

Let's see drive 20 miles and try cutting oak in the woods or get the cottonwood that's 500' from home and has already been limbed. Oh and you can park the truck and trailer right beside the wood. Gee I don't know what to do.

The house has been warm and the water has been hot all winter. 3 or 4 nice hunks of cottonwood per day and there's still tons of coals 24 hours later. Kinda funny it's January and I haven't even touched my regular firewood piles yet. You wood snobs just keep talking bad about it. No sir ain't no heat in cottonwood, terrible stuff just terrible.

Cottonwood ain't bad, just not good for when things get cold...which it never has in Houston, but good enough for taking the chill off of a 40 degree day.

Let it season for a year, split it in large chunks, and it makes for decent shoulder season wood and quick warm ups.

Heck, cold snaps in Houston are what we call T-shirt weather, and burn Popple, sassafrass, and cottonwood to keep from having to open a window. For cryin out loud, Y'alls low tonight, is projected to be warmer than our high tomorrow, and I'm burning cottonwood mixed with maple right now. LOL!!!

Send that Tree service up here. I'll double thier pay!:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Used iT to make corn cribs here in Iowa, still real strong 60 some years after it was built

a LOT of barns,,and other sheds were built with it..it just cant be too close to the ground,,or it will rot fast..thats why a lot of barns and such,,had oak or ash close to the ground,,and cottonwood above..

It will burn around here the problem is they are so big and hard to process for what they are worth

We used to have a tree guy dropping off wood a good Friend he would be sitting up in his clam truck laughing his butt off as he left us cottonwood and box elder that was 5 feet across I always made sure that stuff went in the stove first so he didn't win(;

Have heated most of this year with cottonwood dropped off by a local tree company. Its free heat and it is delivered where I can cut it directly in front of my stove. How can I complain?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I'm sure we all rather the oak, maple, and ash to burn, but if it's getting dumped at my place and I don't have to lift a finger till I start bucking, splitting, and seasoning, then that's pretty sweet.( Note**that never happens to me)

I had a good friend get a 4-trunk cherry dropped last week. Each of the 4 trunks was 18-24" across. Guy that dropped them offered to bring them in log length to my place for $100 (about 2 miles away). I don't have an ideal property to drop 20' logs, and wasn't interested in paying, so I bucked them myself in about two hours, and brought home the first of likely 3 trailer loads home yesterday.

Latest posts

Back