Cottonwood blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HitSquad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have (unfortunetly) a large Cottonwood tree that is well over 90' tall.
This year it has began secreating a liquid that appears to be water starting from around 12' up down to the base on one side of the tree only. It's leaving a sort of "slime" on the bark and at the base were it ends, it's turning brown. Has anybody seen this or can perhaps clue me in as to what may be wrong. I have no interest in trying to save this one from dying but if it ever went over on it's own, it will do considerable damage to both public (power lines) and private (my garage) property. I will try to get some pics up here asap in the meantime. Just gotta find that digital camera I hardly ever use. :)
Thanks for your time.

Where are you located? Cottonwoods, Populus sp,, are noted for having wetwood. Sinclair, Diseases of Trees and Shrubs, actually calls it "universal" in cottonwoods. This is a water-soaked condition of heartwood, sapwood or both that as interior pressure builds up, will secrete from fizzures, wounds, or any hole in the tree. Wetwood generally develops first in the lower central parts of tree trunks and roots. However, it can cause dieback where it expands into branches and twigs and shorten the life of the tree. (Sinclair 2nd Ed)

This condition is so prevalent in this species that we view it as "common place".

Bacteria can grow in this fluid and then becomes bacterial wetwood. The ooze then is called wetwood slime and if chronic, slime flux.

There are apparently some insects that can cohabit with this problem that may become a secondary concern in certain areas. Hence the reason I am asking where you are located.

I would definitely like to see pictures to be sure this is what we are talking about as well as to see the overall condition of the tree.

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia.
The description in your post is identical to what I'm seeing with this tree.
I live in Mi. and it has been an extremely wet spring here.
I do not see a single insect in it yet but will keep my eye on it.
I just moved here about 2 yrs ago and my camera seems to be missing from the move. Pretty much gives you an idea how much I actually use it. :)
I'll keep looking. I still have unpacked boxes overhead in the garage to search yet.
Thanks much.

Good luck finding the camera. For now, hosing it off and scrubbing it may help keep the bacteria from getting pathogenic.

Finally found that pesky camera.
I see some die-off higher up the tree as well.

CW2.jpg

CW5.jpg

CW4.jpg

CW1.jpg

CW3.jpg

CW6.jpg

Back