Cottonwood borers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't work on cottonwoods much (thank god!). One I worke on yesterday had cottonwood borers. It there any help for this??

This tree is located on the bank of a lake and is the center piece of the property so avoiding removal would be nice.

Thanks

Even though injections would most likely work wonderfully, they can often be quite expensive with about the same success rate as other methods.

Spray the trunk and lower limbs with Chloropyrifos (Dursban Turf) when adults begin to emerge in the spring. This particular chemical is quite residual and even if you miss the peek time, the contact effects will be effective into the fall when the borers are travelling down the tree to seek shelter for the winter.

In my area we have Dutch Elm, Oak Wilt, and now the Emerald Ash Borer. We are losing alot of our nice hardwoods. I almost wish we would see some of those Cottonwood Borers to get rid of some of these lousy cottonwoods!

Latest posts

Back