Could figure 8 replace port-a-wrap.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truestory

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I realise that a figure 8 is not suitable for heavy rigging, like trunk wood from a removal, but how about rigging some limbs or small trees? What would the limit be for putting a figure 8 through rigging? Personally, I think light rigging is ok, just limbs nothing overly heavy. What do you think?

Occasionally (but seldom) use a fig 8 when up a tree to lower heavier stuff when ground help is temporarily occupied doing other stuff.
Would not consider using an 8 on the ground.

Occasionally (but seldom) use a fig 8 when up a tree to lower heavier stuff when ground help is temporarily occupied doing other stuff.
Would not consider using an 8 on the ground.

That IS a good point. If it's an aerial anchor, the climber can lock it off, snatch the piece, and then lower the piece without the ground man.

Long ago, prior to my arboricultural enlightenment about rigging, I used my rescue-8 to lower a rather large log while blocking down. It ended badly when the small radius of the rescue-8 tore right through the 3/4" rope I was using. I crushed a stone wall when it broke the rope.

It was all done rather badly, so I cannot blame just the rescue-8 for the failure. I have used it a few times up in the tree for minor lowering with no problems. It really works well if you use it for the descent control on a two-rope speedline setup.

hell no. unless you're broke/unqualified and dangerous.
or take little pieces and all day.
a figure 8 will work, but clearly an arborist 101 question....lol no harm is asking though.

a GCRS with the drum is awesome on heavy wood, and a portawrap on a skidsteer? with a big pulley blocks on top and bottom? the best.

portawrap for the win….I'd use an 8 in a pinch for a small piece or for some weird reason but not routinely….not saying its right , its just what I do..

I assume you do not have a porta-wrap. Probably the best investment you can make as far as general rigging is concerned.

Buy one. Now.

I :heart: my porta-wrap.

Impresses the bejesus out of the client when they see a few hundred pounds of wood coming down ever so gently and in full control right over their garden. deck, or poodle.

Long ago, prior to my arboricultural enlightenment about rigging, I used my rescue-8 to lower a rather large log while blocking down. It ended badly when the small radius of the rescue-8 tore right through the 3/4" rope I was using. I crushed a stone wall when it broke the rope.

It was all done rather badly, so I cannot blame just the rescue-8 for the failure. I have used it a few times up in the tree for minor lowering with no problems. It really works well if you use it for the descent control on a two-rope speedline setup.
3/4" rope is way to big for a 8

At first when I saw this I shook my head..... But for very small (under 100lbs) lims or chincjs its not a bad idea. A better idea for weight control is a small pulley setup like rock exotica offers. Better control and you can lift your load if need be.

For light rigging with a 1/2" rope, I often used a stainless steel 8 when I was lowering stuff from the canopy myself, until I got the Rig 'N Wrench setup. The RnW is big improvement and worth the expense when a traditional lowering device is overkill, or just not a good choice (working solo or with inexperienced groundie).

Rig-N-Wrench-Anchor.JPG

What exactly is your point here, norcalian?

You don't seem to be passing on any information to the other readers and I had already mentioned the cause of the failure and my lack of experience at the time I broke the rope. If your only point is to show us how much superior you are, then you are welcome. Glad I could help you pump up your fragile ego.

What exactly is your point here, norcalian?

You don't seem to be passing on any information to the other readers and I had already mentioned the cause of the failure and my lack of experience at the time I broke the rope. If your only point is to show us how much superior you are, then you are welcome. Glad I could help you pump up your fragile ego.
I like this post.

Back