Could use advice on how to address a challenging situation with the chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klondike204

Reaction score
Recently we had a powerful storm came thru that caused quite a lot of downed trees on our property. Consider my skills with a chainsaw to be basic. Certainly haven't encountered a situation like this before ...but would like to learn from this situation and use it to improve my bucking skills. Before I do, however, wanted to reach out and get advice from seasoned chainsaw operators before I move forward. As you look at the photos, you'll notice the largest tree - the uprooted one - is hung up in other trees. A total of 13 trees are involved. Looks like a game of pixie sticks. The largest trunk has a 15" diameter. The majority of the other trees are smaller at around 8" (some smaller) in diameter. trees_1.jpg trees_2.jpg trees_3.jpg trees_4.jpg
Advice and guidance are most appreciated.

I would cut the root ball off the larger trees and drag them by the butt end out of the other hang ups one by one (top one first). If you rig it up so you are pulling 90* off you should not have to worry about the butt ends sliding and crushing whatever you use to drag them with.

Undercuts so the bar doesn't get stuck, start at the root ball(if cant drag)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a decent size tractor, or access to one, I would hook onto that root ball and drag the whole mess out of there before I even picked up the chainsaw. And when you do cut the root ball off, be aware that it might not go where you want it to without bracing it or applying tension in the direction you want it to go. And those root balls are heavy - you don't want it on top of you.

That doesn't look that tough at all. However, there are a lot of wierd stresses and explosive pressures in the fallen trees AND the involved standing trees. Generally you need to work from the butts. It cannot be explained. You have to see a good saw hand attack something like that to even have a clue where to start. A good hand with a decent saw would have that little jackpot all on the ground in about 15 minutes or less. But that jackpot could also kill you. Kill you.

I would be most concerned about those two or three pecker poles that are heavily loaded because controlling those will be difficult to impossible. I would probably start there, but pictures are deceiving.

If you see that as a big, daunting job, then you should hire a pro for an hour to take care of it. Stand well back and watch him work. You will learn a lot in mere seconds if the "pro" is actually any good. He will make about 6-8 calculated cuts and have most of that on the ground. One or two standing trees may have to go down to do the job the best way.

As noted the safest way would be to drag the trees to the ground with a piece of equipment.

You should see my woods...that would be a relatively small problem here.

Looks like there are at least 2 springpoles (trees bent under high tension). They look small in the pic, but once the weight is removed, they can swing back.
Those are my concern too. If you drag the bigger trees off they should return to upright. I would bet that you could also release them, but they are not worth the risk without a pole saw and good running shoes.

Recently we had a powerful storm came thru that caused quite a lot of downed trees on our property. Consider my skills with a chainsaw to be basic. Certainly haven't encountered a situation like this before ...but would like to learn from this situation and use it to improve my bucking skills. Before I do, however, wanted to reach out and get advice from seasoned chainsaw operators before I move forward. As you look at the photos, you'll notice the largest tree - the uprooted one - is hung up in other trees. A total of 13 trees are involved. Looks like a game of pixie sticks. The largest trunk has a 15" diameter. The majority of the other trees are smaller at around 8" (some smaller) in diameter. View attachment 578021 View attachment 578022 View attachment 578023 View attachment 578024
Advice and guidance are most appreciated.
There are a bunch of guys in Mi and most would be willing to give a hand.
As previously stated, lots of pressure/tensions that must be read and dealt with properly, and even so many unknowns with regards to internal damage to the trees.
Please get help and I would also advise having someone with whoever is working on it at all times.
Where you at Klondike if se of GR shoot me a PM and well get you all set up. Looks like some of the damage from the tornado east of Caledonia that happened on 4-10-17.
Here's some of the damage from that one, if this is where your at you will recognize the covered bridge (that is no more at tyler creek campground), these were taken the next morning, and the radar was right when it happened. 20170411_131232.jpg 20170411_131417.jpg
Screenshot_2017-04-10-21-03-40.png

Place the bodies of your enemies in the hole b4 you cut it free. The stump will discourage any attempt to exhume. Beats a night of shoveling.
Right, but which side are you supposed to cut on, the top or the bottom, I'm confused :laugh:.
Where did his wedge go :cool:.

@Westboastfaller
What's up Jamie, you think you can just like a post and slide on down the road without giving some advice.
Where you been man.
Sorry...I'm only fast on the saw Brett.
and maybe a quick joke comes quite easy.
Good post Brett, You touched on the most important area that nobody else has managed to at this time.
Thas is a site overview or in first aid terms; a scene assessment which both boil down to "is it safe to enter" What else should be suspect from my visual findings.
This thread was a quick reminder of the thread we posted on in the 'Arborist fatalities' forum last week when that gentlemen had that near miss from central America. I understand that's Kansas to you lower 48ers :laughing:
(Got the joke out of the way)
On a very serious note, the guy was just feet away from getting kill from a tree that decided to come down some time after he removed the storm leaner from it and had moved away but in striking distance. I mentioned at that time then also that a Falling partner of mine from last June, was killed in Feb from a uprooted tree that he was likely unaware of. The fellow on here was working on his shelter belts. The tree that the cedar was in appeared large enough to accommodate it by description but he failed to do a proper assessment of the area he was in. Namely suspect trees.
The tree happened to had broke below the ground and was hammered with inspects but appeared heathy through the foliage. I believe a full assessment could have likely prevented that. He was right there?
Not generally a fan of pulling trees out of trees as It can cause more disturbance in cases. This situation appears like the bigger tree hasn't even touched the bigger tree. Its really a non issue. a few of the little ones are loaded.
Why do you think the bigger tree uprooted? And not all the rest?
Why would it be affected differently?
If you know why when you will know what else to focus in on.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I got to fly Brett TTYT

I hope guys aren't saying "what joke"
Lol
I'm still wondering where in the heck central American is :laugh:. I did read that thread, and it was right before I went out to do a clearing job. Glad I did as I assessed the site well and realized that many of the vines I would be wanting to rip out of the trees were attached to dead limbs. As I pulled on them I was sure to keep a watchful eye out as I was aware they would break, not might break. I have no cab on my tractor so it's all up to the hard hat and the hard head, most times if the hard head is working hard the hard hat won't have to work as hard o_O, yes that was my joke although it's very true.
See ya later buddy, stop by and see us all again :drinkingcoffee:.

Latest posts

Back