Could use advice on how to address a challenging situation with the chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on, but I only have a 36, would that be good enough.

Depends on how long your arms are...

The biggest problem was me not really paying attention. It was the 5th big stump that day, and the only one that actually righted itself. For all of the others, I was able to finish the bottom cut with no issues.

Once I noticed the tension shift, I probably got all but 12" of the bar out, so even being a dumbass I think that I would have been OK with a shorter bar. The box cut certainly allows for using short bars.

As it was, I had to cut relief wedges on either side before I could get the bar out, and you could hear the fibers popping the whole time.

I honestly can't remember the last time I pinched a bar, and the humiliation was the wort part of it, even though I was alone.

Depends on how long your arms are...

The biggest problem was me not really paying attention. It was the 5th big stump that day, and the only one that actually righted itself. For all of the others, I was able to finish the bottom cut with no issues.

Once I noticed the tension shift, I probably got all but 12" of the bar out, so even being a dumbass I think that I would have been OK with a shorter bar. The box cut certainly allows for using short bars.

As it was, I had to cut relief wedges on either side before I could get the bar out, and you could hear the fibers popping the whole time.

I honestly can't remember the last time I pinched a bar, and the humiliation was the wort part of it, even though I was alone.
Sounds sketchy :yes:.
I can't say that, I've gotten bars jammed many times, I've just been able to pull them out, or wedge them out, no harm no embarrassment I'm a rookie compared to so many here. Truth be told most all my learning has been watching a million videos and a lot of reading. I figure I will be learning for the rest of my life so no might as well put it out there for all to criticize, maybe I'll learn something even if everyone laughs at me.
Here's one time I got a bar jammed a bit, I've done worse, just not on video, at least that I know of :laugh:.

I spent a couple of years in the pan, I was on the USDA Invitation list for some years. Are you driving and taking the boat up from Seattle? Nice scenery if you do that or drive up through WA. you can boat in from Prince Rupert BC too.

I am driving up through Montana than headed West to Prince Rupert that ferry is only about twelve hours. The wife picked that route so we can stop in Calgary and few other spots along the way.

Here's one time I got a bar jammed a bit, I've done worse, just not on video, at least that I know of :laugh:.

Ahhh...that twernt nuthin. Just a little grab from being greedy.

Sure wish I could borrow that loader! Moving these around with a bar is too much like work!

mill2.jpg

As you can see, that 42" bar is back where it belongs...

Ahhh...that twernt nuthin. Just a little grab from being greedy.

Sure wish I could borrow that loader! Moving these around with a bar is too much like work!

View attachment 579891

As you can see, that 42" bar is back where it belongs...
Your right, it really wasn't, but I still try not to even let that happen, I even treat my saws nice.
Some guys just throw them on the ground :laugh: someone knows who I'm talking to:cheers:.
It does help move things around, but it is also a small tractor and has a hard time sometimes with a full bucket of dirt.
For something like lifting a log to mill it in place would be great as you only have to lift one end at a time :D. I do have a skidder on it though which would pull that log around and get it all full of dirt and stones for you to stick that 42" chain into:crazy2:.

As long as you are buying the files...
Sorry, it doesn't work that way, I bring the tractor you bring the files :laugh:.
But your more than welcome to stop buy and we can tap tap tap on the grinder, that's a few more teeth than I care to file buy hand, I would have a bunch of spares on site if it were me and only file as a last resort ;).

I learned about stumps righting themselves a number of years ago. I can only wish I had the lesson preserved on video. An intense windstorm had blown over a row of 50 - 60' tamarack running along the creek bank at the side of my property. The roots pulled up the entire bank, turning a creek you could jump across into a 12' wide moat behind an 8' tall earthen wall.

While the dog explored the normally inaccessible but apparently tantalizing odours found only in the upper canopy, I set about the clean up, starting at one end of the row, cutting off the trunks, limbing and bucking. For some reason, when I got to the middle of the row, I went to the other end and worked my way back towards the centre.

As I cut through the second-last tree, the entire bank suddenly flopped back into place, un-felling the centre tree. It was really quite impressive to see a 60' tree leap from the ground back to the vertical. If the dog had been sniffing around the tip of that one at the time, I would have found her in the next county!

I am driving up through Montana than headed West to Prince Rupert that ferry is only about twelve hours. The wife picked that route so we can stop in Calgary and few other spots along the way.
Was just in Calgary, couldn't believe how cold it was. Stoped in last year May for a day to buy a car. That day broke a 91 year record for heat. It must have being over 100. I go back a month later and take a convertible for a test and bought it.inutes later I get caught in the hail storm of my life that lasted for about 45 minutes. It had puddles in the back seat WITH the top up. I was so mad.
Nice thing about Calgary is you're an hour from the mountains. Its early for the Calgary Stampede I believe.
If you go to the old Winter Olympic grounds..they have the ski jumps still set up. You can go to the top and have a look, from the car..its a mind blower. If its a nice day you can go up the Calgary tower or bow building and have an awesome view of the Rockies. 12 hours to Rupert?
Its about 4 hours just to go through the Rockies. The fastest way I would think is going up Banff /Jasper, lake Lousie way.
The best mountain crossing experience is to golden/ Kamloops way. Its all beautiful either way. Jasper route puts you on the Yellow head HWY west. If you go through the booths by Jasper then just say you are going to the AK or they will charge you 20.00 to go to Jasper. You will likely see Elk in town walking around. Watch for groupings of cars pulled over on the HWY. Its likely a Grizzly, Elk of Big Horn Sheep. Lake Louise is a must see. Prices are ridiculous. Its the play ground For the rich. I'm sure it was $,35.00 for a burger fries and gravy a few years ago. Grazier at the lake. Goats on the hill to the right but they are little specs of white that look like a snow patch. People wouldn't see them unless they were taught at 2000ft by a bush pilot from the Alaskan misty Fjords.:yes: Definitely you want to cross a in the daylight. McBride BC is part of the BC interior wet belt
So they have Western red Cedar, Hemlock and spruce like the coast. There is an Ancient forest there. The wet belt stops just before Prince George. After the rockies, most of the BC crossing is boring up that far along the Yellowhead. You have to go deep on the logging roads to really see it. The scenery gets good again around Smithers BC. Then its all coast mountain range and rivers. The last 3 hours is a pretty drive. Hazelton has a cool bridge over a narrow passage if you branch off for a quick look. Probably see the Natives netting Salmon from way above. The last 90 minute drive from Terrace to Rupert you will follow the Skeana river most all the rest of the way. Its massive! You can branch off earlier to go to Stewart BC/Hyder AK but that's about 300 miles there and back. There is a glacier on the way but Hyder is a ghost town of about 50 people. They used to have a ferry to Ketchikan once a week. I would take a beaver (mail plane) for $100.
That's an experience you won't forget. Scarry in bad weather when they fly low in the passages then turn around to try an alternative route asthe way out can fig in quick.On a beautiful clear day you are going over the top. It a sick flight
Probably done it 20 times. One time it was on an Otter with a couple of cops and my GF. The cop in the front had the vomit bag open and I was freaking out and pulled the wire on my GF head set that caught her earring badly.:buttkick:
My future wasn't looking good either way I looked at it and the 'force' were in no shape to save me.
Another time just seconds before we landed in Hyder, an alarm started going off and the plane started filling with smoke. May have been interesting had It happened in the middle.
The US military built the Yellow head west from Prince George in '42, same as the AK HWY.
You can still see their concrete gun turrets there in places. An amazing task to protect that coast line and built those roads. I would never doubt the US military.
I hope you get good weather. Its not nice in Calgary right now unfortunately. You can't do it all at once but next time cross the mountains through Montana I- 90, WA state gorge and hit Vancouver and come up through the Frasier Canyon. Lots of tunnels.
Lastly, fuel up in Montana, fill some gas jugs if you got them.
Get you exchange at the bank if you use any cash.
Distance and as well speed, Km to miles just × by 6 (.6)
100km per hour is 60 mph
100 km drive is 60 miles
(80km) 6x8 = 48mph/miles
70km 42mph/miles
60km 36mph....
You can run 10km /6 mph over between towns but watch your 50km & 60km
Truckers will cruise control at 50km.
School zones are 30km so that's just 18mph. Its the usually stuff, school, construction zones and exesesive speed.
They wouldn't give you a ticket unless it was really bad, same with out of province plates.
May get busy again in the pan with Canadian/US softwood lumber dispute going on?
Have a good trip

I can't say that, I've gotten bars jammed many times, I've just been able to pull them out, or wedge them out, no harm no embarrassment I'm a rookie compared to so many here. Truth be told most all my learning has been watching a million videos and a lot of reading. I figure I will be learning for the rest of my life so no might as well put it out there for all to criticize, maybe I'll learn something even if everyone laughs at me.

Your 044 looks like a ms440.:cool:

Was just in Calgary, couldn't believe how cold it was. Stoped in last year May for a day to buy a car. That day broke a 91 year record for heat. It must have being over 100. I go back a month later and take a convertible for a test and bought it.inutes later I get caught in the hail storm of my life that lasted for about 45 minutes. It had puddles in the back seat WITH the top up. I was so mad.
Nice thing about Calgary is you're an hour from the mountains. Its early for the Calgary Stampede I believe.
If you go to the old Winter Olympic grounds..they have the ski jumps still set up. You can go to the top and have a look, from the car..its a mind blower. If its a nice day you can go up the Calgary tower or bow building and have an awesome view of the Rockies. 12 hours to Rupert?
Its about 4 hours just to go through the Rockies. The fastest way I would think is going up Banff /Jasper, lake Lousie way.
The best mountain crossing experience is to golden/ Kamloops way. Its all beautiful either way. Jasper route puts you on the Yellow head HWY west. If you go through the booths by Jasper then just say you are going to the AK or they will charge you 20.00 to go to Jasper. You will likely see Elk in town walking around. Watch for groupings of cars pulled over on the HWY. Its likely a Grizzly, Elk of Big Horn Sheep. Lake Louise is a must see. Prices are ridiculous. Its the play ground For the rich. I'm sure it was $,35.00 for a burger fries and gravy a few years ago. Grazier at the lake. Goats on the hill to the right but they are little specs of white that look like a snow patch. People wouldn't see them unless they were taught at 2000ft by a bush pilot from the Alaskan misty Fjords.:yes: Definitely you want to cross a in the daylight. McBride BC is part of the BC interior wet belt
So they have Western red Cedar, Hemlock and spruce like the coast. There is an Ancient forest there. The wet belt stops just before Prince George. After the rockies, most of the BC crossing is boring up that far along the Yellowhead. You have to go deep on the logging roads to really see it. The scenery gets good again around Smithers BC. Then its all coast mountain range and rivers. The last 3 hours is a pretty drive. Hazelton has a cool bridge over a narrow passage if you branch off for a quick look. Probably see the Natives netting Salmon from way above. The last 90 minute drive from Terrace to Rupert you will follow the Skeana river most all the rest of the way. Its massive! You can branch off earlier to go to Stewart BC/Hyder AK but that's about 300 miles there and back. There is a glacier on the way but Hyder is a ghost town of about 50 people. They used to have a ferry to Ketchikan once a week. I would take a beaver (mail plane) for $100.
That's an experience you won't forget. Scarry in bad weather when they fly low in the passages then turn around to try an alternative route asthe way out can fig in quick.On a beautiful clear day you are going over the top. It a sick flight
Probably done it 20 times. One time it was on an Otter with a couple of cops and my GF. The cop in the front had the vomit bag open and I was freaking out and pulled the wire on my GF head set that caught her earring badly.:buttkick:
My future wasn't looking good either wayI looked at it and the 'force' were in no shape to save me.
Another time just seconds before we landed in Hyder, an alarm started going off and the plane started filling with smoke. May have been interesting had It happened in the middle.
The US military built the Yellow head west from Prince George in '42, same as the AK HWY.
You can still see their concrete gun turrets there in places. An amazing task to protect that coast line and built those roads. I would never doubt the US military.
I hope you get good weather. Its not nice in Calgary right now unfortunately. You can't do it all at once but next time cross the mountains through Montana I- 90, WA state gorge and hit Vancouver and come up through the Frasier Canyon. Lots of tunnels.
Lastly, fuel up in Montana, fill some gas jugs if you got them.
Get you exchange at the bank if you use any cash.
Distance and as well speed, Km to miles just × by 6 (.6)
100km per hour is 60 mph
100 km drive is 60 miles
(80km) 6x8 = 48mph/miles
70km 42mph/miles
60km 36mph....
You can run 10km /6 mph over between towns but watch your 50km & 60km
Truckers will cruise control at 50km.
School zones are 30km so that's just 18mph. Its the usually stuff, school, construction zones and exesesive speed.
They wouldn't give you a ticket unless it was really bad, same with out of province plates.
My get busy again in the pan with Canadian/US softtwood lumber dispute going on?
Have a good trip
When do we leave, road trip :rock:, oh wait I have three young kids :eek:, can't hop in the car like I used too, but the suburban still has Oregon plates it probably knows the way:lol:.

Was just in Calgary, couldn't believe how cold it was.

That's where I spent the first 25 years of my life. Skipped a lot of school going backpacking and fishing for trout.

The Big Rock Brewery is there...I would recommend their McNally's Irish Red ale, but I hear it is no longer available. Hard to believe as it had won a ton of international awards.

That's where I spent the first 25 years of my life. Skipped a lot of school going backpacking and fishing for trout.

The Big Rock Brewery is there...I would recommend their McNally's Irish Red ale, but I hear it is no longer available. Hard to believe as it had won a ton of international awards.
Oh really Ed, A Calgarian?
I just heard there is some really good fishing there. I heard someone taking about Hidden Lake. I actually thought it was just a set up for a joke as about 8 years ago when we were cutting Seismic line our Surveyor was taking about all this awesome fishing at Hidden Lake on his time off. When we asked where it was, his reply was "I can't....its hidden" Skipping out of school, drinking beer and going fishing, that's why you are Sooooo much smarter than me Ed. Positive life choices. I skipped out and went to the veg gardens. In the Fall I skipped out and picked magic mushrooms and earned a street level business degree. I was doing business in Calgary 25 years before I ever went there.

Good boxing stance, operator works to the side, good saw control
I would like to see you start throwing the saw more at the end Mr B_ _ _ _
And..whats really wrong with this picture? The little guy has the hard hat and hi-vis..not the operator...lol

Oh really Ed, A Calgarian?

Born and raised...but I grew up a Rider's fan because most of my family was from Saskatchewan.

I skipped out and went to the veg gardens. In the Fall I skipped out and picked magic mushrooms and earned a street level business degree. I was doing business in Calgary 25 years before I ever went there.

How the times have changed...my mom's bridge partner just made over 25 grand trading marijuana stock!

Good boxing stance, operator works to the side, good saw control
I would like to see you start throwing the saw more at the end Mr B_ _ _ _
And..whats really wrong with this picture? The little guy has the hard hat and hi-vis..not the operator...lol
Thanks, don't wine about my thumb in the video either, after all the driving I've done it's more comfy ;).
Here I got some chaps on for ya, I didn't see any hangers in the neighborhood either.
The saw throwing I'll leave to the more qualified:popcorn2:.
@edisto here's one of those muddy logs for you:cheers:.

Latest posts

Back