Could use advice on how to address a challenging situation with the chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
" Husky chucker"
I chucked my share.

I ruined a poor little old Homelite once. Don't remember the model, but they were finally updating the worn out saws, so each Helitack crew got a new Husky, and one of the old, spent Homelites. They also decided that we should be issued these ketchup packs of "Optimol" or something like that that was supposed to be a magical 100:1 lube.

I started in on the Helipad with the Husky (the Homelites were pretty worn out...hard to start or keep in tune), and about a third of the way through it seized. Got the Homelite going, and after about 10 minutes it seized too.

I never saw him, but apparently the crew boss sent a guy out to check on my progress, and he reported back that I was holding the Homelite by the bar and smashing it against a tree. They decided to let me be for a while...during which time I broke the Husky free, squirted the rest of the ketchup packs into the fuel, and got the pad cut in time to get us out before dark.

I ruined a poor little old Homelite once. Don't remember the model, but they were finally updating the worn out saws, so each Helitack crew got a new Husky, and one of the old, spent Homelites. They also decided that we should be issued these ketchup packs of "Optimol" or something like that that was supposed to be a magical 100:1 lube.

I started in on the Helipad with the Husky (the Homelites were pretty worn out...hard to start or keep in tune), and about a third of the way through it seized. Got the Homelite going, and after about 10 minutes it seized too.

I never saw him, but apparently the crew boss sent a guy out to check on my progress, and he reported back that I was holding the Homelite by the bar and smashing it against a tree. They decided to let me be for a while...during which time I broke the Husky free, squirted the rest of the ketchup packs into the fuel, and got the pad cut in time to get us out before dark.
Probably opti 2, great mix at 50:1, used it exclusively in my trimmer and backpack blower for 12yrs, and in my saws for a while, but since I sell a lot of saws I use what much of the crowd knows, husky and stihl.
Oil thread :happy:.
You homie beater:laughing:.

Lol.....

I know you can take it, As you know I can too. The post thing? I wrote most of it the night before then I decided to eliminate details of
" what I do and stated I wouldn't get into it. I didn't want to put the wrong impressive out there. So the second I sent the post I realized I forget to cut it...lol
I don't wrap my thump because I've sprained it bad a few times with violent kickbacks that send the powerhead back at me. I get alot if the cut closing and the saw shooting out at chain speed. I don't try to stop its momentum but spin with it if needed.
They teach the thumb around the handle bar though,
that's what they want to see.

I think as long as you can anticipate what could happen when, as well you are in position. It's inexperience and complacency that will get ya

" Husky chucker"
I chucked my share. I'll share a good story about me chucking my 30 day old 375 convertion saw into a tree as hard as I could and tore my hand open on the dogs just because I heard on the radio that another Faller said "I just cleaned up Jamie's mess" so I got on the radio and said I was clocking out and my supervisor said thats fine we will talk tonight. That means your partner has to go in too. So I said that's true, I'll just sit and babysit. So I got on the radial and said who saying on the radio that they just gleaned up my mess? No James's mess, that was me, I was just bugging james.
So I said "well this is kind of awkward" .....OK.... I'll just go recover my saw and go back to work. So James said after work that he will just go by his nickname "Peaches" because I answered a few times when his partner was doing half hour man check.
So I said "Preaches! You'd do that for me?
Was the saw ok :laugh:.

Just a couple hints: Safety
Take a helper, preferably someone who know the hazards involved and how to use a chainsaw. Do not go by yourself.
At least wear a hard hat and look up first for dead limbs
. Take two good chainsaws, one as a spare.
Watch out for the rootball end to spring up fast sometimes instead of down when the tree end load is cut off.

Stay away from them springbacks if you do not know how to handle them, they can easily kill you. Springbacks will sometimes snap off at the base area and jump back like a big arrow shot out of a bow when another limb that is being cut from several feet away falls and hits them and take you down. Springbacks are very dangerous stuff.

I think you need the help of someone that knows the hazards involved for your own safety. They can make about 5 or 6 cuts and get 100% safer.

Probably opti 2, great mix at 50:1

I couldn't tell you for sure, this was 1989 or 90. We weren't the only ones having trouble...the ketchup packs were replaced for all crews within 2 weeks.

Many thanks to everyone for the advice. It was HUGELY helpful. Also surprised to see so much advice come in so quickly. To recap what I did, since I don't have a tractor (or similar vehicle) to drag the trees with, just resorted to a LOT of bucking.. making my way one-by-one to bring things down. Got the chain caught a couple times by misjudging the pinch point. Definitely learned to respect the physics class I took three decades ago in HS (being an arrogant teenager at the time, didn't think I'd ever use physics in the "real world" - well, that certainly isn't true with felling/bucking trees). Had my wife watch as I did all the work so that she could take me to the ER if something went way wrong. Thankfully, nothing did :).

Many thanks to everyone for the advice. It was HUGELY helpful. Also surprised to see so much advice come in so quickly. To recap what I did, since I don't have a tractor (or similar vehicle) to drag the trees with, just resorted to a LOT of bucking.. making my way one-by-one to bring things down. Got the chain caught a couple times by misjudging the pinch point. Definitely learned to respect the physics class I took three decades ago in HS (being an arrogant teenager at the time, didn't think I'd ever use physics in the "real world" - well, that certainly isn't true with felling/bucking trees). Had my wife watch as I did all the work so that she could take me to the ER if something went way wrong. Thankfully, nothing did :).
Glad to here you back and reporting to us :).
Where in Mi are you.

Thanks chipper1. Will for sure reach out in the future if needed. And yes, I'm very close - and familiar - with Caledonia. Live in Alto.

Again, thanks. A year ago, I and the family moved from Los Angeles. Talk about a big change. But absolutely love the country living, not being able to see your neighbors, the extra land, much lower crime and cost of living, etc... Of course, the weather is a lot nicer in LA but there were just too many other negatives about living there that out-weigh the benefits of living in West Michigan.

Again, thanks. A year ago, I and the family moved from Los Angeles. Talk about a big change. But absolutely love the country living, not being able to see your neighbors, the extra land, much lower crime and cost of living, etc... Of course, the weather is a lot nicer in LA but there were just too many other negatives about living there that out-weigh the benefits of living in West Michigan.
That's cool.
I was born in Oceanside myself, military brat, that's what brought our family here back in 76.
This area is a great place to be :).

Back