Could y'all sharpen this one more time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the risk of looking stupid I have used chains until they are that far down or maybe a hair longer on the tooth. I bet that in the pictures chain still cut half ways decent. :blob2:

Hermann, This one is has been used so much that the cutters are at risk of not overlapping. One more stroke of a file and this chain would not cut wood. My cheap digital camera does not do this chain justice. I am all in favor of getting all the useable life out of a piece of equipment as long a doing so doesn't stress anything else on the machine. This guy was clueless as the bar rails had also peened over dramatically and the sprocket was toast. He had used the cutting attachments up a few "sharpenings" ago.

/\/\ haha :blob2:

I'll be the bar and sprocket were pretty messed up. I've seen a chainsaw where the entire chain was rusty from being stored outside and the owner was trying to cut a 6 inch diatiter branch but couldn't. I've also seen chains where the left side was filed toa really pointty angle and the right side was filed to a normal 30 decree angle. Then there's were chains where it was a mix of teeth of various lengths right down to teeth that were almost filed off.

Then there was the time a guy filed half the rakers off in hopes that it would cut better.....................don't get me started.

I just got a dozen Laser chains from cutters choice, so i won't have to resort to sqeezing the last sharpening out of a chain for at least a year i hope. :angel:

I have to say I have a pair of chains that have about twice that amount of tooth left, and I have not changed them for a reason... they're half inch, and a barely cut with them. Plus, I have not yet found new chain..

The half inch chain on my 4-30 A mac is patched out of two chains and just does not cut straight. A new chain and a bar oiler, and my old 4-30 will prolly see alot more use.

i baught an echo 351LV at an auction a month or so ago and i dont think 2 of the teeth were filed the same! whats more, the poor sap had filed the rakers down even to the side plates. he11 if my saws cut that bad id sell them too!
B

Latest posts

Back