Council Axes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepyfz450

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody here use the USA made Council tools? I am most curious about the velvicut (Higher end) axes. i am looking for a high quality felling axe but dont want to spend the money unless they are nice.

thanks for any info

Sorry what i meant to say was forestry axe. something i can pound plastic wedges, chop out a pinched saw, light limbing stuff like that. I have been using crappy 20$ camp axes for years i just want to get something nice.

Call Maddsen's and ask for a Council axe for pounding wedges. Sometimes they are called a rafting axe though that is not truly accurate. You will have to decide the weight and handle length that suits you. Most people will prefer a 4lb or 5lb axe on a 28" handle. A quality axe for driving plastic wedges will have a large flat poll. The quality of the axe steel means nothing when it comes to pounding wedges so stay away from the hyper-expensive Swedish axes.

BTW I would stay away from Truper axes. Mexican garbage.

Don't be skurred of picking up an old Kelly either

Nope. The most important feature for a wedge pounding axe is a large flat poll, not its chopping ability. Now if the OP was looking for a falling axe your advice would be fine. BTW the brand was True Temper, they were made at the Kelly Works.

thanks fellas i will check them all out. I am still on the fence. I will call madsens and see what they have to offer. i am not a pro faller so the axe will get used for many many different things but i want high quality

My favorite of my axes is a Plumb 4-lb Jeep axe from ~1942. I have it on a 28" handle. Just right for pounding wedges and bumping knots. Cost a couple bucks as a rusty hulk at a second-hand store. A few minutes on a wire wheel, a new handle, and a half-hour of filing the profile back into shape and it's as good as new.

Nope. The most important feature for a wedge pounding axe is a large flat poll, not its chopping ability. Now if the OP was looking for a falling axe your advice would be fine. BTW the brand was True Temper, they were made at the Kelly Works.

LOL, Kelly Perfects and Champions don't have a large poll? pfft
sure thing Tex

They are good enough that I have several 5 pounders floating around.

They are heavy for their weight, swing very well and hit hard. What ever you get let the axe do the work not let the axe work you. I have a few 4 pounders also that people have given me because they were to heavy to carry all day,:cry: poor babies:cry:. I like a 28" strait handle, I do though go back and forth between the scabbard and just tucking it in my belt. If you use a scabbard get a 28 or it will be hitting your hat brim all day and you will make it short quickly.

Owl

Old thread I know, but Stihl has a Universal Forestry Axe that has a really good balance to it. The handle is well thought out; the shape of it is ergonomically pleasing. It is not a ‘Top End’ axe in terms of quality (if you are an Axe Snob), but a very serviceable tool nonetheless.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/axes/woodforestaxe/

Good for driving wedges, removing small limbs, busting out face cuts, light splitting, etc…

I have many other axes….but the ‘feel’ of this one (when I picked it up in the store) was so good…it immediately convinced me to take it home. I have really enjoyed it.

Stihl_Axe2_zps3lf7hdol.jpg

Be sure to get some type of scabbard for it. It is pretty sharp right from the factory, but a little time spent with a stone, will have it dangerously sharp! You’ll want to have that edge covered for certain.

Stihl_Axe1_zpsvi5ftej7.jpg

I'm glad you like your new axe and I hope it does what you need it to. I don't like it. It is way too light to drive wedges at less that three pounds. The handle has been ground flat to aid in shipping but now there is no swell on the sides of the handle. Typically Stihl rebrands junk axes from Sweden, Germany, or China. I have used their Swedish and Chinese axes and the steel was terrible.

If this is going to be your wedge axe you may want to reconsider having the edge razor sharp. I realize you have a scabbard but most fallers prefer a slightly dull edge for swamping that holds up better than a sharp edge. None the less Stihl axes don't cost much and any axe is better than no axe.

Latest posts

Back