Couple easy pine removals W/crane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I worked for another company we did a couple crane jobs and we used a 130 ton for the smaller job and a 150 for a bigger job. Seems like we had way too much crane. But I wasn't footing the bill I was just running the ground show. I have never been the climber for a crane job. What size crane was it for that job? What capacity does it have (Appprox) at different distances? What is the max hook height? thanks. Havn't had much experience with cranes except for a few jobs..... Mike

That is the smallest of the three we use, I believe its a 23ton and has 100' of boom with out the Jib. I never use the jib for tree work though. Most of those pics ranged from 2k to 4.5k pics. Usually if you need a crane you do not have room to set a whole tree or even a half of tree so most times bigger cranes are overkill unless you are in a positon were you need to pick the whole tree off a house 150' away or something to that nature. Thats in my area though different areas and species of trees obviously require different cranes.

I can't keep them hats on my head even when walking. I thought the job was perfect for a crane. Sounds like you got some great options with them. Most rental crane guys do not want to charge by the hour unless maybe you start with a base price first then add on the hours. You got one heck of a deal. I would much rather knock it out like you did. Seems like the best choice especially with the low bill for the crane. UNDER A G? WOWZERS!

I could see that. Thats why I don't envy bucket and crane guys, I still love to climb and don't want to lose that. After all, climbing is the foundation of treework. I call our GRCS the portable crane, that's as close as I've gotten.

Dredgery. That's bucket work. I am not complaining and it still takes a good game plan to get it done accordingly but the thrill is gone.
Don't get me wrong when its time for a lift I am gonna use a lift.

I can't keep them hats on my head even when walking. I thought the job was perfect for a crane. Sounds like you got some great options with them. Most rental crane guys do not want to charge by the hour unless maybe you start with a base price first then add on the hours. You got one heck of a deal. I would much rather knock it out like you did. Seems like the best choice especially with the low bill for the crane. UNDER A G? WOWZERS!

We just pay by the HR but we use them all the time so Im sure that helps. The only other expense to me is travel time which is usually an HR on top of the time on the job. I still want my own crane though!!!

crane work can be very exhilarating,things can get ugly real fast.when using the crane things will happen in front of you more so than below you, u must be careful and its wise to have someone teach u than ta figure it out on your own. we have our own crane and it gets used every way we can. we will rent if practical and most of the time there is a 4hr minimum charge. practise makes perfect. nice job:clap:
there is no i in crane work

Last edited:
crane work can be very exhilarating,things can get ugly real fast.when using the crane things will happen in front of you more so than below you, u must be careful and its wise to have someone teach u than ta figure it out on your own. we have our own crane and it gets used every way we can. we will rent if practical and most of the time there is a 4hr minimum charge. practise makes perfect. nice job:clap:
there is no i in crane work

I have been looking for the right crane (deal) all year but I do not want to settle and make due with a substandard crane like some of the local competition. With the economy the way it is Im not sure if I will be buying one this year either unless the right deal comes my way. Out of couriousity what kind of crane do you guys own. Not saying you have a substandard crane or anything but alot of local tree CO's around here use old Arlow sign cranes they serve there purpose but are so slow and limited to what they can pick its often quicker to just climb the tree without the crane.

that is a good rate on that crane.

about what we pay here.for that it makes no sense to own your own.unless prices go completely nuts overnight,i will always rent.

This was a couple pines and a ash tree we did a couple weeks back. Pic's aren't the best but you will get the basic objective.

WELLINGTONTREEJOB20.jpg

WELLINGTONTREEJOB6.jpg

WELLINGTONTREEJOB9.jpg

WELLINGTONTREEJOB.jpg

How's that for the pictures?

This last pic is an example of how not to set the straps. I was tired as this was the 5th and last tree of the day and I failed to properly position the chokers. First off I should have got a bigger set of straps, Second The straps should have been completly opposite for a smoother pic and also to compensate for the weight of the remaining limbs, And lastly I should have had the 394-36" combo for the last couple pics to save from trying to walk around the spar and complete the cut with the 372-32".

WELLINGTONTREEJOB1.jpg

Im sure I will get flamed for this pic but if it helps some one else its worth it!!

x

Ok I give up :censored: .. If some one could embed the pics for me that would be great since It is obviously beyond me. Also Delete the links that do not work??

I fixed all your pictures so they could be viewed in the thread. Next time just copy and paste the "IMG code" under the picture you want to show from photobucket.

I've rented / worked with cranes in VA, MD, NC, SC, GA, ALA, Fla, LA, and now Texas over the last 5 years and the prices are consistent everywhere, 30-40 ton around $ 130 hour, 70 - 90 ton $170-190 hour. recently added fuel surcharges of 7-8 % are typical now. there is always minimums of 4-6 hours, unless you work with the company on a regular basis.
an exception would be the companies who deal regularly with hurricanes and chase storms themselves.
Lafayette Steel Erectors in LA is a good example. they rolled all over Fla and GA during the 2004 storms with a 40 ton, 2 60's, and a 200 ton monster.
That was cool to climb under. it reached ACROSS houses to pick trees off others.
They paid me a great price per day to climb for them, no problem there, since they wanted $5000-6000 a day to provide me a crane. they had their act together.

and there is no such thing as too much crane, unless it gets stuck in the yard when the operator decides he doesn't want the driveway, like what happened to us recently here in liberty TX.
dumba$$ operator drove a 90 ton into a NEIGHBORS yard, and sunk the crane. It took a winch truck and a tandem dump to recover the crane, and they trashed the clutch in the crane. $6000 F-Up according to them.
thats the texas water oak pics I posted, I had to take it down with the nifty lift.
pic of that crane on a different job below.

the smaller truck cranes work well, distance to center of load is key though.

and Custom, sweet job. that is a crane job all day for a climber who uses cranes. no better method in my book.

RBtree would have stood on the ground and dropped them into the chipper though.:cheers:

Post#31

The fourth photo.

This pick is rigged wrong in my opinion, I would have spun that choker 180 and stood it up towards the main trunk with a bottom cut. In fact a few more of your rigs made no sense to me.

I'm glad it worked out for yu though Custom.

jomoco

Last edited:
Post#31

The fourth photo.

This pick is rigged wrong in my opinion, I would have spun that choker 180 and stood it up towards the main trunk with a bottom cut. In fact a few more of your rigs made no sense to me.

I'm glad it worked out for yu though Custom.

jomoco

Well it seems you are the formost expert on all things tree related:bowdown: so please be specific what other rigs made no sense? Post #31 would have worked out fine 180 with a undercut upwards, but because it was equally effective and safe, but easier on me I choose to make a under cut and then let gravity do the rest of the work while I cut down to meet my original undercut. Worked out perfect IMHO...

cranes not boom trucks

first off a boom on a truck is called a boom truck not a crane. and that is a 90 ton linkbelt in that pic with no counter weight so it is like a 40 ton with a lot of boom and a multi part line on trees, no way it gets hung up. hmm
that by the way is a real crane not a boom truck.
please learn your hand signals they work all over the country all crane operators know them you should to.

Latest posts

Back